Australian KTM Owners

Started by vmx1963, September 19, 2003, 01:04:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

vmx1963

I'd be interested in hearing from any Aussie members.  It would be good to build up a vintage/evo KTM network in Australia.

adrian_goold

We are a secret society, only coming out from hiding on Race days to whip bulatcos and huskys!!

But, you might find us at our new website...

http://home.iprimus.com.au/hyrockpk

Seriously though, there a few of us around who are keen to get as many KTM's/Pentons on the track down here. More and more are coming out the woodwork at race meetings.

Regards,
Adrian Goold #101
'73 175 In need of Rod kit
'74 400 Now Racing!
'78 250 running soon!
'81 250 Current project
'81 495 future project
'00 250exc
Regards,
Adrian Goold #101

Bill Campbell

I'm another one of those Aussie peoples who only comes out to race his KTM on the odd weekend. As Adrian "Goolies" Goold said there are a few of us about. With this there are a few bikes being restored and ridden.Check us out in VMX mag. As I'm the slowest of the riders I manage to get in the picture a little more. Hopefully I will be able to feature on Adrian's web page. Keep posting and I will try to keep in touch.

vmx1963

Yes, we definitely need more of us to counter all the bloody Huskies, CZs and Maicos that grow like topsy.  Nice 125 you've got there Bill, what year is it [?]

Bill Campbell

Thanks for the compliment. The photo was taken at one of its first race outings nearly two years ago. Needless to say it is not as fresh now but I think its still ok. It still seems to pull ok but should get new rings soon. I'm going to try and improve the rear end soon. The bike is a March 73 crome moly frame. i had to locate a motor for it and lucked out with a brand new 76? DKW motor. It had never been in a bike. The only real problem I've had with it is the choke rubber perishing and the carb top crewing off at inopportune times. But its a great bike to ride. Regards Bill.

dirtbike

I'm curious!
Where the bikes sold as Pentons or KTM's in australia?

vmx1963

According to VMX Mag, first imports to Australia were directly from John Penton as the importer (Kirkpatrick in Bunbury, WA) did not realise they were KTMs.  But whether they had "Penton" or "KTM" on the tank I don't know.

Bill Campbell

If I got the story correct John Kirkpatrick tried to import a Penton from John Penton but was unsuccessful. He had been importing Huskys at the time. He did not realise that Pentons were KTMs or vica versa. He then started to import KTMs from Austria in about 1972. I could be wrong but I don't think he ever imported a Penton. So all the bikes were sold as KTMs in Australia.

vmx1963

I must take a drive down to see Kirkpatrick one day and find out what spares he's got.  Might ask what the story is on the 72 imports while I'm there.

Bill Campbell

Do that. The last time I went to Bunbury it was a pleasant trip but that was awhile ago. John has said he has an inventory list somewhere though I haven't seen it. He must still have some goodies left. let us know how you went.