I have a 1976/77 ktm 125 please help !!!

Started by richard collins, March 21, 2001, 03:57:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

richard collins

i have a 76/77 ktm it is identical to a 1977 mc5 175  is it a penton or a ktm?

Chris Brown

Hello Richard,

KTM built for Penton thru 77. Starting in 1978 they were KTMs. I have one of the first ones and it is basically a Penton with KTM badge. Looks identical to the 77.

It's a Penton!

Chris

richard collins

thanks chris
i bought the bike seven yrs ago and it is in
very good condition  i have had no luck
finding any info in the uk regarding  spares
or anyone else who owns a125 ktm of that
age i would like to race it but not knowing  
if there are any spares anywhere  has put
me off .  the bike needs airbox side panel
and the carb is wrong  it has a mikuni from a 1981 rm125 suzuki   on at the moment
and runs well but i would  like to put a
standard carb  on  is there a manual  
i wont burden you with too many questions
thanks richard

gooey

Is it a penton or a KTM

click this link,

http://web.tiscalinet.it/ktm70pages/sommario.htm  

, and confuse the issue even more ! have fun !  Its a cool page,, even if the Penton stuff was lifted from barry's INCREDIBLE page !

Welcome back Barry !

psssssssttttt ... by the way,, its a Penton !

Edited by - gooey on 03/22/2001  7:32:25 PM

Chris Brown

Well Richard,
I didn't realize you were from UK!!
Do some more exploring on the net for vintage parts outlets over there. Otherwise, there's some good sources for parts and manuals and such here that can be shipped.

KTM did build and market these bikes under their own marque over there. Check out "Gooey's" link above.

I had a Jackpiner (73 Penton 175) with a mikuni carb on it and it worked quite well. It's actually a better carb than the Bing, way better than an Amal. I would recommend keeping it, but that's up to you. Do you have a KTM motor or Sachs?

I think Barry Higgins has repro side covers //www.ktmworld.com but they may be for the later models that has the pipe shield built in. You could email them with an inquiry. Sometimes those kinds of parts show up on ebay as well.

Let us know how we can help you, and welcome to the group. You might also visit the vinduro group on yahoo groups:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/vinduro
You could post a request for parts and info there too.
Chris.

adrian_goold

I'm down in Australia, and i have a '72 175 KTM. From what i know they were imported as KTM's.

Regards,
Adrian Goold #101

richard collins

hello again
i have just returned from the site gooey
recomended and  what an excellent site it is
i also have a 79 125 in bits a80 rv 125 which i race and a81 125 enduro in need of
tlc so ifound  some very good pics
going back to the 76/77/78  the tank is
a 78 the engine has 3/76 on the casing a is
a ktm it has 125 between the cylinder fins    it has cerianni forks  also it has lighting coils should it? i'm going to check out the sites chris suggested, will chat to u later
Like gooey said, to confuse the issue even more,  Richard.

Doug Wilford

Richard,
Every thing KTM built for Penton was for US distribution only, the same bikes with a different badge and some cosmetics was sold in the rest of the world as KTM, Adrian is correct, even in Austrailia. Doug