gaskets

Started by buckyduke, November 07, 2003, 01:57:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

buckyduke

I have a 74 175 ktm engine for a Jackpiner and am replacing the cylinder base gasket and am sure about the differences between the thicknesses... what should I use?  The parts manual has these listed:

0.2mm
0.3mm
0.5mm
0.75mm
1.0mm

Kip Kern

B/D  Contact Al Buehner for a service manual pertaining to your machine and it will show you how to determine the proper base gaskets to use.  It all boils down to proper "deck height" measurement between your cylinder and piston.

buckyduke

I found that the correct height needs to be .28mm and have identified how to measure it... can i just measure the height without the gasket (which is 0mm right now) or do i have to measure the height with the gasket in place to get a real accurate reading?  How much does the gasket compress when you tighten down the cylinder head?

Thanks!

Quotequote:Originally posted by kip kern

B/D  Contact Al Buehner for a service manual pertaining to your machine and it will show you how to determine the proper base gaskets to use.  It all boils down to proper "deck height" measurement between your cylinder and piston.

john durrill

You need the gasket in place and the cylinder torqued down to get an accurate measurement. the gaskets do compress a bit.
 A little more deck heighht wont hurt you but too little can be very bad.
 with no gasket and the cylinder tight, whats the deck height?
 order a gasket .25 mm bigger than you would need to have the .028 thousandt's deck height and you should be safe.
 John D.

buckyduke

Thanks John, the deck height with no gasket is 0mm... so would a 0.5mm base gasket be best?  the options are 0.2/0.3/0.5/0.75/1.0mm

Thanks again for the help!

Quotequote:Originally posted by JOHN DURRILL

You need the gasket in place and the cylinder torqued down to get an accurate measurement. the gaskets do compress a bit.
 A little more deck heighht wont hurt you but too little can be very bad.
 with no gasket and the cylinder tight, whats the deck height?
 order a gasket .25 mm bigger than you would need to have the .028 thousandt's deck height and you should be safe.
 John D.

john durrill

.75 MM is .02953 inches. . if the gasket compress at all you would be below the recomended .028 to .030 inches. i would go with a 1 MM gasket . the slight loss in compression wont be noticed. still put the 1MM gasket on torque the cylinder down and check the deck height though. just to be safe.
John D.

buckyduke

Yeah that's sounds good because the height should be 0.028" - 0.032"

Thanks for the help!

Quotequote:Originally posted by JOHN DURRILL

.75 MM is .02953 inches. . if the gasket compress at all you would be below the recomended .028 to .030 inches. i would go with a 1 MM gasket . the slight loss in compression wont be noticed. still put the 1MM gasket on torque the cylinder down and check the deck height though. just to be safe.
John D.