Electronic ignition ,HELP

Started by tmc3c, November 23, 2003, 02:15:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tmc3c

I am now about to buy a ignition or have my old system sent to PVL for testing. Here lie's my problem,If I send my Ignition system that has been on the bike since 1976. And when pulling the side cover off it was full of water.If the system is bad wouln't I have been better off in just buying the PVL system first,saving me the cash on testing the system. Is the new system a lot better than the old system? Help guy's tell me what ya'll think !!

Thomas Carmichael
Thomas Carmichael

1970 125 Six Day
1976 250 Hare Scrambler

firstturn

Thomas,
Are you doing a rebuild?  Sometimes I have just cleaned up the motoplat and it worked fine.  You can check it first yourself on the bike.  The plus of sending it in to have it checked is Dane can tell you if it is the actual motoplat that is bad and/or he may have to magnetize your flywheel.  Hope this helps.

Ron Carbaugh
Ron Carbaugh

tmc3c

Hi Ron, Yes I am doing a rebuild on a 1976gs with a 74 motor that is being rebuilt by Kip Kern.I guess my biggest problem is myself by wanting to hurry and get all of the parts in and bolt them on and then fire it up and go riding. Thank you for your voice of reason !!

Thomas Carmichael
Thomas Carmichael

1970 125 Six Day
1976 250 Hare Scrambler

Dennis Jones

If Dane tests your motoplat and it is bad and you buy a new PVL he will deduct the testing fee from your dealers price

Dennis Jones
Dennis Jones

firstturn

Dennis,
Thanks thats great information to pass on to others.  Great use of the Forum.
Respectfully,

Ron Carbaugh
Ron Carbaugh

tmc3c

Dennis, Thank's I will get in touch with Dane[8D][8D]

Thomas Carmichael
Thomas Carmichael

1970 125 Six Day
1976 250 Hare Scrambler

Dennis Jones

Thomas, I should also add that I replaced the motoplat on my Jackpiner with a PVL and it made a world of difference. I was worried the internal flywheel would make the bike more pipey, but not so. Throttle respones is faster but not really different. What I didn't expect but got was HUGEdecrease in fuel consumption. The PVL was recommended to me by members of this group and I would recommend it also.

Dennis Jones
Dennis Jones

tmc3c

Hey Dennis, Thank's for your info,I think that I will go with the pvl system to ward off any future problem's and to get the performance gain's also. I will be talking Al today! Thank's Again!

Thomas Carmichael
Thomas Carmichael

1970 125 Six Day
1976 250 Hare Scrambler