Mid-Ohio

Started by Rocket, December 02, 2003, 10:22:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rocket

Mid-Ohio, Vintage Days, July 16-17-18, 2004, who is ready to go??
Rocket:D

rob w

Who would'nt be eager to go to the world's greatest swapmeet.

I read in "Vintage Views" that they will be adding Post-Vintage MX to the scene on saturday.

lobo6y

Rob, All,

Small correction/clarification on the Mid-Ohio Schedule.  Vintage MX will be on Saturday, Post Vintage on Sunday (a first for Mid-Ohio). Here's why:

The general plan for the year regarding dual National MX race weekends is to have the shorter travel Vintage bikes on Satruday when when we have a "Natural" track like the one at  Mid-Ohio, Diamond Don's etc, where the same general area is used.  Post Vintage long travel bikes would then be on Sunday.

For events held on a man made or maintained MX track that can be reworked overnight (or a separate track like Casey has), the Post Vintage will be Saturday with Vintage on Sunday.  This represents the majority of our AHRMA National tracks for next year.

That's the general intent . The dates will be updated in VV, and are already updated on the website.

Cheers, Dave Janiec
AHRMA Trustee

Paul Danik

Rocket,
   Actually I made my motel reservation about a week ago.  

Dave,
   The new plan of running the vintage on Sat. is going to be tough on some of the trials riders. Ole Dennis is going to be a busy boy, ride a section- run a moto, ride a section- run a moto!!! How about it Dennis, you gonna be a MXer or a no-dabber at Mid-Ohio?

Might need to expand to a week long vintage festival and uncrowd the schedule.  Wouldn't it be nice to have a Vintage only Dualsport ride? We could really get to put some fun miles on the bikes. AHRMA/AMA could name each day for a different brand, just like in the ISDT.  Just dreaming out loud!!

Kip Kern

Looks like I had better pick up some more fixins for breakfast.  The coffee pot will be brewing around 6am!  Row "G", spot 5/6:D

swamp fox

Kip,
Are they already taking reservations for camping, or is "G-5/6" the POG booth location for the event? After the drive to St. Louis this past year, I think I've got a green light from the Boss!She said no more road trips unless it's airmiles.

Robert Manucy
72 Berkshire
Robert Manucy
72 Berkshire
72 Six Day
82 Honda cr250r
04 BMW K 1200 GT - KIA in N. Ga. - 32987 smiles
08 BMW K 1200 S
17 Ktm 300 Six Day (50th Aniversary) ;)

Dennis Jones

Hey Paul, a vintage dual sport would be cool.It looks like they moved the trials to Friday,some cross-countrys are also on Friday this season. The rumor for some time has been Trials & C/C were going to have to take a back seat to MX and PV-MX. With a bean counter as an exec-director I guess it's all about numbers.

Dennis Jones
Dennis Jones

firstturn

Paul,
Keep dreaming.  I think a dual sport ride (vintage) would be great.  Lets see being from Texas I may have to make my bike street legal.  Rocket can you help me make a Penton street legal?

Ron Carbaugh
Ron Carbaugh

Paul Danik

Rocket,Ron,
   I have been to Texas, and I know what is required to be street legal in Texas. To make a Penton legal in Texas will require mounting a set of horns on the front end!!!!  And I don't mean the tooten kind either!!
Paul

Rocket

Ron
I think we have talked about being legal before, and I think something was said about "Everything is legal, until you're caught".
I liked Paul's comments about the horns, is that true?
Rod

Kip Kern

Robert

Row "G" is the center of all activity at Mid Ohio, the swapmeet!  Between Al, POG, myself, Kevin Grimes and Becky, we have about 10 spaces total!

swamp fox

Thanks Kip,
I'm going to do my darndest to get there this year and meet all of the wonderful POGGERS! It's been really great these last 9 months.

Robert Manucy
72 Berkshire
Robert Manucy
72 Berkshire
72 Six Day
82 Honda cr250r
04 BMW K 1200 GT - KIA in N. Ga. - 32987 smiles
08 BMW K 1200 S
17 Ktm 300 Six Day (50th Aniversary) ;)

lobo6y

Paul, Dennis,
Vintage dual sport is great fun!  And it attracts a lot of interest from modern riders if  we are "in the mix".
5 of us rode the 20th annual D-37 Barstow -to-Vegas Dual Sport ride last weekend (in my case reliving a couple legal race events,  plus the last outlaw race event).
We had the following street legal vintage bikes:
1958 AJS 650 twin (Ed Crowell won the oldest rider award at 73)
1953 BSA Goldstar ( Terry Pratt won oldest bike award)
1966 Hindal frame Triumph 650
1967 Triumph TR6 650
1966 Matchless 500 G80CS ISDT Factory replca (me)
As opposed to two years ago (several Pentons, Cubs, Huskies, etc), there were not many other vintage bikes this year (only a HusKy sidecar and one other Triumph that made it halfway), but if you are street legal, the AMA Dual Sport Rides are a real hoot, and the other riders just go crazy over all the older bikes.  I wish I had a dollar for all the pictures taken of our bikes at stops - would have paid for our entries (and losses in Vegas Sat nite!).

This is a fun area for growth in our vintage sport.  Street legal Pentons would be great bikes for this (must carry oil for mixing).
Cheers, Dave Janiec

Dennis Jones

Dave that sounds like a lot of fun. I go to a trade show in Vegas every January and always look at the desert wishing I could ride there. Riding the races you mentioned would be a real lifetime experience.

Dennis Jones
Dennis Jones

firstturn

Paul,
Be very careful what you say it is deer season and my Berkshire tends to have a history when it comes to White Tail Deer(Reunion 1999).  The last set of Longhorns Had to be trimmed to 38 inches to get it through my gate.  The Officer did frown on the dental mirror on my handlebars, but I pointed the state statue stated that a mirror must be attahed to the handlebars. More later and I will go over the exclusive lighting system.  No and I don't "Bench Race".

Ron Carbaugh
Ron Carbaugh