The ultimate place to live and trail ride is ....

Started by LynnCamp, January 12, 2004, 06:58:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Big Mac

Name any place in the US where, within 2 hours of a major city w/ int'l airport: you can ride sand dunes right to the beach, then run the beach WFO for miles with no one blinking, then ride 100s of miles of giant forest single track covered with ferns and waterfalls, then head east to a bazillion miles of BLM desert land...and you can get your off-road "green sticker" at the local convenience store, $12 for 2 years, no title needed.... almost never below 40 degrees or over 85 degrees...bike trailers less than 2000 lbs don't need to be registered...one of the best vintage MX race series in the country 45 minutes away... a motocross track w/ weekly races in a City owned park in the MIDDLE of town...even an AMA National MX comes to town yearly, only 30 minutes into the hills...Not even any sales tax on your bike parts!!

Portland, Oregon...same zip code as Heaven.
Jon McLean
Lake Grove, OR

LynnCamp

Wow—there are really some awesome possibilities here!!!  Thanks a million for the advice and keep it coming as I gather some research from your tips.  Definitely helps if you give me a town/city to zone in on and names of riding areas/trailheads – especially the private riding parks (I can find the National Forests pretty easily).

O.K. ...  whoever had me searching high and low on the Internet for Penton, CA needs to get his plug fouled.[}:)]  You ought to know by now that I am awfully gullible![^]

rob w

Lynn, I'm not sure if it's even a town. It's near the southern entrance to Yosemite Natl. Park close to Oakhurst, CA. I entered it into "map an address" on AOL Travel, some other "mapquests" don't show it. I lived just north of there from 1975-80.

LynnCamp

Sorry Rob.  I will retract the fouled plug curse.[^]  When I couldn't find it, I concluded that you were joking!!  I'll try Oakhurst.  Now I wonder if Paul was serious about flying me to Amherst for POG meetings on his Mars machine!!!

tmc3c

Lynn, If he does, make SURE you are driving!

Thomas Carmichael
Thomas Carmichael

1970 125 Six Day
1976 250 Hare Scrambler

Steve Minor

BYT....there is also a Penton,NJ...a Penton,AL and a Penton,MS....
Steve Minor

firstturn

Thanks for adding another trip to my schedule.  I have been to the other two places and no finds.  Having fun and wishing I could justify a trip to York swap meet.

Ron Carbaugh
Ron Carbaugh

OhioTed

Lynn,  Evaluating the gov-mint's land-use trends for different areas is important, 'cause otherwise, trail access is uncertain.  For example, when I was growing up in SW Florida in the 70's, I could go right out my back door and ride as far as I had fuel range for.  Using my '75 Hare Scrambler, I could literally ride virtually anywhere by means of our trail system.  However, our old sand roads and trails are now six lane highways and my parent's home that was back then nine miles outside of town is now IN town.  Do your homework and plan accordingly.

Speedy

Quotequote:Originally posted by LynnCamp

I would like USA POGers to weigh in on the ultimate place to live and ride.  Rediscovering bikes after a 30 year hiatus, I have decided to leave my job/career and move to a place close to never-ending trails. We are partial to wooded trails versus desert riding, however I would consider all options.  We just returned from a week's journey down through TN, GA and NC, sampling 2 National Forests in TN and NC and one private trail system in GA.  A few months ago we did WV, KY and VA.  This summer we will go out west to CO, MT and ID.  I love the Northeast, but am thinking it is too cold and too expensive.

After talking to a gazzilion realtors who don't know off-road issues, I thought it would make sense to ask POGers and maybe post the question to Vinduro (any other forums???).  I prefer a climate where we can ride year-round and I will still need to work several more years, so I probably need to be close to a town with some decent employment opportunities, but I am prepared to consider a radical change in income/lifestyle if it means great riding.

A good bet right now seems to be the Ashville, NC area, but I would love to hear you all tout your favorite spot.  I really appreciate some serious advice on this.... It is obviously a very important move for me.

SPEEDYS ISDT training camp in Canada(includes""making fire wood,cutting grass,doing dishes(for discipline)you can ask Leo-Hans and Burchard.)Cheers,Speedy------------>>>>>>>[8D][:o)]:D

Helmut Clasen KTM
162 Hillcrest Ave
L9H 4Y3
Dundas Ontario Canada
Ph.905-627-5349
[email protected]
http://speedy_c.tripod.com
Sachs GP-GS 250-7A reeds
Zuendapp 125 GS ISDT repl.73
KTM 450 EXC Auto.03
Duke spec.Edit,1996
Adventurer 02

tmc3c

Thomas Carmichael

1970 125 Six Day
1976 250 Hare Scrambler

Speedy

Quotequote:Originally posted by tmc3c

SO LYNN WHO WON???[:p]

Thomas Carmichael
No question about that.A mix of Canadian Dchungle,+ Speedys ISDT training camp,the fines German food and drinks,mechanic training INHOUSE,(other facilities OUTHOUSE)Every evenig ONE HOUR BS,before bedtime,This creates ULTRA fast trail riders,6 day winners,WORLD RECOGNITION.
Cant beat that,..
Speedy->>>>>>>:D[}:)]:D

Helmut Clasen KTM
162 Hillcrest Ave
L9H 4Y3
Dundas Ontario Canada
Ph.905-627-5349
[email protected]
http://speedy_c.tripod.com
Sachs GP-GS 250-7A reeds
Zuendapp 125 GS ISDT repl.73
KTM 450 EXC Auto.03