1980 GS250 Gas Tank

Started by boogieonmyfinger, January 14, 2004, 08:29:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

boogieonmyfinger

I am in the process of rebuilding my GS250.  My question is that the gas tank has 4 mounting holes on the top, looking like somewhere you would mount something.  I have not seen this on other GS250's and was wondering what they are for.  Any help would be appreciated.

tmc3c

Boogie, Could it be a place for a tank bag for tools ? Or a map?

Thomas Carmichael
Thomas Carmichael

1970 125 Six Day
1976 250 Hare Scrambler

boogieonmyfinger

It looks like a place to put a map.  Is this normal?  I have not seen this on other 250's like mine.

twinshox

it's a six-days gas tank... acerbis made of plastic ? those holes are made for an aluminium plate (for the stamps, that are collected during a hour-race)...

i got them on my 79er 350, too... on my 125ccm gsII bd is it missing (no holes)... it differs...

greetings from germany

Thorsten

1979 Gs80 350ccm
\\"4SALE\\"... KTM 350 + 125 and lots of parts

boogieonmyfinger

Does that mean I could possibly have a Six Days KTM?

rob w

I've had the same
KTM enduro tank,
it's common, the
threaded inserts
that are molded into
the plastic are made
from brass, right?

twinshox

might be...

you can send me pics if u want... im always interested.. [email protected]

have a look at mine... does it look the same (ok..those pics were the very early ones, when i got "her".. she is being rebuilt at the moment:)... http://members.fortunecity.de/twinshox

greetings
thorsten

1979 Gs80 350ccm

robbersroost1

MY 82 250GS has that tank. I believe the holes were for a card holder, when racing enduro's. Does anyone have the card holder that screws down on the tank, or a picture? Not sure I'm right on this.

Terry Laible
Terry Laible

twinshox

u are right... its for cards while racing enduro.. about 10x7 cm made of aluminium.. i will take some pics next time

1979 Gs80 350ccm

Dr.2Stroke

The holes were just for mountig a leather tank bag. they were not specially for six day editions,they were sold on demand of the buyer,so you could take with a oil bottle and off course some spark plugs.... i have about three used tank bags,if someone is intersted(therefore i know what means KTM: Kick Twenty Minutes...¨)

twinshox

@dr.2-stroke

grüezi..

schön was von dir zu hören... erinnerst du dich an "zilleberlin" bei ebay ?

viele grüße aus berlin
Thorsten

1979 Gs80 350ccm

El-Viejo

Twinshox...If you can provide good pictures it would be great!  I would like to make one for the 82 GS250 I just bought off e-Bay.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&category=6711&item=2456557904&sspagename=STRK%3AMEBWA%3AIT
The buy that used the "Buy it Now" backed out and the seller offered it to me.  I brought it home yesterday!

Thanks,
Oscar
Cincinnati, Ohio, USA

Age is a tate of mind and an affliction of the body.  My mind will never surrender!
Age is a tate of mind and an affliction of the body.

dirtbike

On Doctor, you have these bags???
I should have known a week ago.:(

Two - three layers of epoxy, goes to paint on tuesday...

Dr.2Stroke

oh sorry,Bengt,off course i have, but if no one is asking for..... it is easier to tell you what i do NOT have than to tell what i have....
but it should not be a problem to drill in the screws for the tank bag. would be very helpful,the basg,especially on a 4000km trip!

Dr.2Stroke

a message for Thorsten(Twinshox) in Germany: ja,klar,du altes Haus! fährt deine Kleine jetzt auch schon Kärntner Trottel Maschine? Gruss Dr.2Takt