I need a flywheel

Started by Big Ron, February 10, 2004, 08:48:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Big Ron

I need a flywheel for a 1973? Penton 125 ISDT. This bike was reved so high by my son that the flywheel broke years ago and its been sitting in the garage since. I am the original owner and would never part with the bike. I'm now retiring and hope to restore it. It was my second Penton, wish I still had the old steel tank one too.  If anyone can help me locate a flywheel I would appriciate it . Thanks, Big Ron

RWE
RWE

Gavin Housh

Ron, I think I might have one for the points type ignition. If that's what you need email me at [email protected] make sure you leave a suject about the "Penton flywheel". We won't recognize who you are and delete your email. Gavin.

Speedy

Quotequote:Originally posted by Big Ron

I need a flywheel for a 1973? Penton 125 ISDT. This bike was reved so high by my son that the flywheel broke years ago and its been sitting in the garage since. I am the original owner and would never part with the bike. I'm now retiring and hope to restore it. It was my second Penton, wish I still had the old steel tank one too.  If anyone can help me locate a flywheel I would appriciate it . Thanks, Big Ron

RWE

Hello Big Ron.What type of ignition is on your Penton?
If it is a MOTOPLATE ignition,you can not just exchange the flywheel,you would need a MATCHING (by numbers imprinted)STATOR + ROTOR.
Cheers,Speedy--->>>>>:)

Helmut Clasen KTM
162 Hillcrest Ave
L9H 4Y3
Dundas Ontario Canada
Ph.905-627-5349
[email protected]
http://speedy_c.tripod.com
Sachs GP-GS 250-7A reeds
Zuendapp 125 GS ISDT repl.73
KTM 450 EXC Auto.03
Duke spec.Edit,1996
Adventurer 02

TGTech

Ron,
We still have some new flywheels on our shelves, if you can't find a used one anywhere. The were technically not for the Sachs engines, but for the small shaft Husky's, which had the same size crank taper and keyway location as the Sachs.

Secondly, Helmut is only partly right about the switching flywheels thing. If you stay within a particular family of ignitions, say Motoplat Mini-6, non advance and retard type magnetos, there's about a 95% surety, that the flywheel and stator timing marks will align. There are rare cases of them being off, but they are not usual.

The applicable flywheels would be: 9600142(-1), 9600150(-1),
9600160(-1), 9600166-1, 9600192-1 and 0616012. All of these flywheels have the same taper angle and keyway location. Some are from the Sachs realm and others are from the Husky brand.

If you manage to find one of these flywheels used somewhere, and want us to check the timing mark alignment, just pack the flywheel and stator up, and send them to us. BE SURE TO PUT SOMETHING BETWEEN THE FLYWHEEL AND STATOR WHEN YOU PACK THEM, BECAUSE IF THE TRIGGER PIN IS FORCED AGAINST THE FLYWHEEL, YOU MAY (WILL?) DESTROY THE STATOR IF IT IS STILL GOOD. We use maybe four or five packing peanuts between the stator and flywheel to accomplish the necessary clearance.

Hope I have been of some help.

Speedy, sorry to step on your toes.

Dane Leimbach
Penton Imports Co., Inc.
1115 Milan Ave.
Amherst, OH   44001
440-988-4474

Big Ron

Thanks everyone for your replies on the flywheel. I will try to get more info to you , numbers and pictures, real soon. Thanks again, Big Ron

RWE
RWE

Big Ron

Guys, I'm having troubles getting a picture in the computor but I do have some info for you. The flywheel I need is for a 1972 Penton, ident-number 11252448. Info on the flywheel is Bosch B 212 115 009,    RCP1     6v35-5/18w. This should be a motoplat system , if I remember correctly. This bike was a real runner and I hope it will be again. Any help will be greatly appreciate. Thanks,  Big Ron

RWE
RWE

TGTech

Ron,

From what you've said, it doesn't sound like you have a Motoplat ignition. If it says Bosch, then it must be a Bosch points type system. I don't know if I ever saw a Bosch electronic system that would work on the Sachs engine, but that doesn't mean that it doesn't exist.

If it is a Bosch system, I can understand how it blew up if revved too much. Those flywheels were famous for coming loose from the hubs. We built a jig on which to weld the hubs to the flywheel shell in order to stop that nonsense. But this all happened back in the steel tank era, so if your bike has a Bosch on it, someone put it there in place of the original Motoplat.

Dane

john durrill

RWE,
 the Hammers in Germany still had new Bosh , Point type igniton flywheels last time i checked.
http://www.motorrad-klassiker-ersatzteile.de/html_eng/index.htm.
Drop Sussana a note and see. they ( the Hammers) are reliable and
 very helpfull.
John D.

Speedy

Quotequote:Originally posted by dandk

Ron,
We still have some new flywheels on our shelves, if you can't find a used one anywhere. The were technically not for the Sachs engines, but for the small shaft Husky's, which had the same size crank taper and keyway location as the Sachs.

Secondly, Helmut is only partly right about the switching flywheels thing. If you stay within a particular family of ignitions, say Motoplat Mini-6, non advance and retard type magnetos, there's about a 95% surety, that the flywheel and stator timing marks will align. There are rare cases of them being off, but they are not usual.

The applicable flywheels would be: 9600142(-1), 9600150(-1),
9600160(-1), 9600166-1, 9600192-1 and 0616012. All of these flywheels have the same taper angle and keyway location. Some are from the Sachs realm and others are from the Husky brand.

If you manage to find one of these flywheels used somewhere, and want us to check the timing mark alignment, just pack the flywheel and stator up, and send them to us. BE SURE TO PUT SOMETHING BETWEEN THE FLYWHEEL AND STATOR WHEN YOU PACK THEM, BECAUSE IF THE TRIGGER PIN IS FORCED AGAINST THE FLYWHEEL, YOU MAY (WILL?) DESTROY THE STATOR IF IT IS STILL GOOD. We use maybe four or five packing peanuts between the stator and flywheel to accomplish the necessary clearance.

Hope I have been of some help.

Speedy, sorry to step on your toes.

Dane Leimbach
Penton Imports Co., Inc.
1115 Milan Ave.
Amherst, OH   44001
440-988-4474

You see Danny,...even an old pig can learn something,...LOL,...
I did know that YOU can match some flywheel-stators but it needs  more knowlage then I would trust most members have.
;)[B)]

Helmut Clasen KTM
162 Hillcrest Ave
L9H 4Y3
Dundas Ontario Canada
Ph.905-627-5349
[email protected]
http://speedy_c.tripod.com
Sachs GP-GS 250-7A reeds
Zuendapp 125 GS ISDT repl.73
KTM 450 EXC Auto.03
Duke spec.Edit,1996
Adventurer 02

Big Ron

Guys, It has taken me a while, but I think I have a picture of the flywheel.  All this time, I thought it was a motoplat, but maybe you can help me identify it and find a new one.  Thank you for all the help; it is very much appreciated.  Big Ron http://www.imagestation.com/album/pictures.html?id=4287702043&album_id=4287702043&upload_source=album_add&hide=1&is_owner=1

RWE
RWE

john durrill

Ron ,
 That looks like a Bosch Points type ignition to me. It came off a Sachs 5 or 6 speed engine?
 the Hammers had them new in stock last time i checked. they were used on the military bikes in Germany.
John D.

firstturn

Ron,
  There is one on eBay right now.  I don't know what new ones sell for that John D. mentioned but here is the item # 2460515687.  It is listed under Penton.  Hope this helps.

Ron Carbaugh
Ron Carbaugh

john durrill

Ron,
 Rick G and i went in on two complete sets. NOS parts. that was with the stator , all the ign and lighting coils and the top  coil, and flywheels. I think we paid 140 each with the expense of a bank transfer and shipping. later i got a spare flywheel.I want to say $50 was its cost.
For the second flywheel the Hammers set up a Pay Pal account so we could transfer funds with out the bank getting involved.the bank charged $50 for a transfer and it took a week or more to show up in Germany.
  Befor we bought the NOS sets we had  found 2 used flywheels. Both the point cams were  damaged from rust. one had a shattered magnet. The moral to that story is be very carefull buying used flywheels chuckle chuckle.
John D.

firstturn

John,
  Excellent point.  That's is why I ask questions on items like this and keep the answers on file.  When I buy on eBay and give a positive response please be advised that I was pleased with the product.  Now pictures of complete bikes are a different story.  The item I mentioned listed on eBay from Larry Perkins, and Larry will tell the truth period.

Ron Carbaugh
Ron Carbaugh