Penton/KTM loyality ?

Started by Paul Danik, February 16, 2004, 11:49:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Paul Danik

Hi,
   I know from reading the forum that some POGGERS also have modern machines.  It seems that a number of you ride KTM's, my question is this. Did the heritage of the KTM make you more apt to buy a KTM instead of a brand X ?  My reason for asking this question is connected to the Penton Future Project, at least in my semi twisted way of thinking it is!!!
Thanks
Paul

Kevin Grimes

Paul,
 I know this sounds kind of weird but the reason I have both Huskys, and Pentons is because of seeing John ride both. I bought my first Husky in 72, and my first Penton in 73. I sold my 01 KTM a couple of months ago and now I have a new 04 Husky 450 four stroke. After 30 plus years I'm still knee deep in both brands. If I'm not riding the new bike I'm busy bringing my 68 Berkshire back to life.
                           Kevin

Dwight Rudder

Well, I don't know. I do know that the KTM / PENTON contraversey kept me off KTM for many years. I always felt that the Penton family got screwed with that deal. I know that they have made up after many years. But now I have a solution. I bought a KTM 525EXC and put PENTON stickers on the sides. So after many years, the PENTON name at least was on a championship winning motorcycle ( AMA Nat'l Enduro Sr.A class Championship ).
So THAR !
Dwight  ;)

Dwight Rudder
7 time ISDT / E medalist
8 time National Enduro Class Champion.

Big Mac

I'm a younger (42)vintage bike fan from the west coast and, other than a couple of rat bikes as a kid, didn't take up real riding until the late '80s. Had a vague recollection of the Penton brand from old Dirt Bike articles in the '70s, but never saw one, not once. I flogged an '82 Husky for years after it was out of style and was amazed at how it held up, never even bent bars or broke a Magura lever. Replaced it mid 90s with a KTM 300MXC, the only readily available brand that compared to the old Husky in my book.

I got into pre-'74 vintage bikes several years ago, and wasn't until then that I even learned about the Penton/KTM connection. Duh. But the strength and following of KTM now only makes the old Pentons that much more of a marque to follow and focus on for me. What's great are the trailside chats out in the woods, when a young buck passes by, takes a look and asks with a goofy grin "What's a Penton?" I point with my toe to the KTM logo on the case cover, "Ever heard of them? Penton started it all." A 30-second moto history lesson. They're always amazed...at least out West where Penton ignorance flourishes.
Jon McLean
Lake Grove, OR

LynnCamp

Light bulbs went on when this subject was raised.  There is no question that I got a KTM because of the association.  Penton was King and I felt that I couldn't go wrong with a bike with those roots.  In retrospect, I didn't even realize I was making that kind of leap -- that Penton had it right -- so KTM must be o.k.  

It makes sense that the kids would do the reverse -- they would be interested in Penton because of the association with KTM.  Mac and Dwight have it right... sounds like there are some opportunities for a quick history lesson here.  

Given the politics, I don't know if this would fly, but it would be a great visual story to have a sticker / poster / banner for the Penton Booths at motorcycle shows that would tell the story of the association.  Like someone doing a wheelie on a Penton (like the poster of Tom in the AM photo gallery) with a fade to the same shot on a KTM. YEH!!!!  Sticker heck -- how about a mural in my living room[:p]

swamp fox

Paul,
After taking my daughter to the Swamp Fox enduro here, she liked seeing the kids on their nice little KTM's. I told her they were the grandchildren to my old Berkshire, and she quickly stated she wanted one!!! I do believe that John's input kept KTM in business. Now that I picked up a Six Day to go along with the Berkie, I'll have to get her a little KTM and load up the Holsclaw and watch all the locals start gawking!!

Robert Manucy
72 Berkshire
72 Six Day
Robert Manucy
72 Berkshire
72 Six Day
82 Honda cr250r
04 BMW K 1200 GT - KIA in N. Ga. - 32987 smiles
08 BMW K 1200 S
17 Ktm 300 Six Day (50th Aniversary) ;)

tlanders

Paul,

The only reason I have a 2001 200 EXC KTM is because in 1971 when Rosemary and I bought my first Penton, we decided that I should buy a new one every 30 years. When I went to my Penton dealer in 2001, he was fresh out of Pentons but said something about a KTM is almost as good.:D I am so loyal to John that I have painted the frames of both my 1978 MC5 and 1980 MC80 KTMs Penton silver/grey and redone the seat with Penton/KTM on the back!!!! The only orange on the MC80 is the airbox!!! (should I paint it also?).

I am proud to be riding a bike inspired by an American. John not only got KTM in the motorcycle business, didn't he get Acerbis, Alpine Stars, Golden Spectro, and other well known currently successful companies in the off road bike business?

With the fantastic racing heritage of Penton, I wish there were more guys out there racing them now!!! If they were the best in the 70s, they should be still the best right now racing the AHRMA races. Unfortunately, I am not an expert or pro rider and can't do the marque any good by racing, I just love to do it. Kent, Kevin and Gary showed us all that it can be done, but where are the expert Penton racers now? There aren't very many out there, but there are a zillion Maico, Husky, CZ, and Hondas. :(

Pentons Rule!!!

Teddy

desmond197

I kind of agree with Dwight about the Penton thing. If I got a new KTM I would have Penton sticker on it. I like the new KTM's but my new bike is a 2001 VOR Enduro. I  bought it because I loved the engineering on the bike. I also like the Gas Gas enduro bikes with thier Bultaco linage. I  love euro bikes but back in the day I had Yamaha's and Honda's. My friends had Pentons and Bultacos and I just loved the way they looked and handled. I do cheer for the KTM's at the Paris Dakr race and an time I see them in modern MX

Gavin Housh

Paul, I'm also a west coaster. I've been around Pentons since 1972 and have owned three of them. When recently I decided that I wanted to ride some modern enduro's I whent down to the KTM dealer and looked at a new exc 200. The out the door price was $6700 plus. When I wieghed the differences between the Kawasaki kdx and the KTM I ended up with the green bike. Partly this choice was based on my riding ability. Was I really going to be able to ride that much better on an orange bike with upside down forks that are pron to blown seals? Was the WP shock without any linkages that much better, that I would make it to that check on time? I did like the idea of not having to service the linkage every six months. But was the extra $1700 plus going to be worth it? I didn't think so, and after two years on the green bike I'm very happy. That's not to say that if given unlimited funds that I wouldn't own a KTM. I still believe they are good bikes. This brings me to a story about rider vs. machinery. This winter I went trail riding with my friend J.P. Morgen. He pretty much kicked my but all day on an 85cc Honda motor bolted into a Honda cr250 frame. An expert rider can go fast on most any bike, and he can also tell the difference between bikes and what makes him feel fast and comfortable. I believe that a lees experienced rider doesn't benefit that much from having the latest greatest bike and after market parts. That's just marketing hipe. It's also called capitalism and without that we wouldn't be what we are, now would we. My good friend Kendall who is no longer with us used to show up with all manner of bikes, and Kendall would announce upon arriving "Bring what ya got, ride what ya brung" I sure miss him.

Swampy

I came about this backwards it seems. I've owned KTMs for the past 12 years and finally decided to go history shopping. I swear by them, they're the best out-of-the-box woods bikes out there. Sure they're more pricy than the japanese, but you get an already hopped up bike for the dollars. You'll spend more  upgrading your "other brand" bike. But once again, it depends on what one wants out of the motorcycle, what one expects, and what one is emotionally drawn to. You gotta admit it. Anyone that gets into any type of vintage purchase, either for retoration, riding or racing, is doing it with a vehicle that actually means something to them. Either they had one years ago and let her slip away, or maybe had always wanted one and now able to put the time and money into re-living a bit of their past. That's the beauty of it.

Like I said, mine went backwards. I went from modern KTM, to finally realizing my Penton/KTM supressed emotions, had a pocket of cash when I stumbled on my MC5, and now I spend more time sitting in my garage just looking at it. Damn fine piece of art work. And orange to boot!

Now to just find that Blue Jackpiner I always wanted....

Swampy
'03 Triumph Speed3
'96 KTM LC4620
'00 Kawasaki KLR650
'90 Suzuki DR250
'76 KTM MC5 400
You ain\\\'t ridin\\\' if the wheel\\\'s ain\\\'t turnin\\\'

robbersroost1

Well my story is a little different. I started off with an 83 KTM 250 GS, because I was tired of putting rings in my KDX (KAW.)every three weeks and my local dealer Mike Lenz told me that rings would last a whole season. I didn't believe him, but after a year that was the case. Now about 15 KTM's later I have an interest in there past, so now the Pentons (Wassell's) are adding up.

Terry Laible
Terry Laible

Dennis Jones

Hey Terry,

Did you find a rider Wassell?

Dennis Jones
Dennis Jones

HD Raidel

Good Question Paul,

Inovation, technology, support, and fitness for a particular purpose have not changed from the Penton days.

We rode the Pentons in the old days because they were as advanced a bike a a guy could find and the Austrians wasted no time in changing to a better part or feature. Forks, shocks, motor porting all changed at the will of the factory because they could and still can incorporate production changes.

You knew then and now that your Penton/KTM was different from whatever else every other manufacturer made.  Your airbox was different, your forks were usually better, you knew you were riding what the team guys were.  You knew if there was a fix needed, it was probably already in a dealer sheet somewhere.

Our dealers were USUALLY sport oriented, they were part of the sport, and they were usually out there in the mud with you on Sunday.  If you had a problem, a call to Lorain got something done.  My dealer is still an offroad guy, still part of the sport, still not selling streetbikes or cars.  (well, maybe power equipment..) The support is still there.

Penton/KTM always made machines for us eastern offroad riders. They always delivered aggressive power, they always turned in the woods, and they were always reliable.  (no excuses allowed for poor upkeep, thats your own fault, you ride 'em, you work on 'em!)( I put that in for my Dad)  They're still the same way.  They come ready to ride, they are set up for my sorry butt in the woods instead of some 18 year old on an MX track; they incorporate technology the orientals haven't, and they finish- the year.  I replace chains, sprockets, tires, a piston, and fluids.  Thats it.

Vic Ely was in my garage last year, we were laughing at the shape of my old bikes. I had a newer 250exc in the mix; he looked at it and said "thats all business".   He's right, they always were.

Sometimes the only mark you leave in life is in your shorts...
Sometimes the only mark you leave in life is in your shorts...

mark nitchman

Why a Penton? Because Pat Penton was my neighbor.

Actually, I don't know that I would have ever climbed on a motorcycle if it weren't for Pat's son Ted, who was my best friend growing up.  Through out high school I worked on the Liembach family farm and thought the world of his parents. Pat is terrific and Paul was a mentor to me but I don't think I ever knew it at the time.  Looking back now I think he was one of the greatest men I ever met.  Funny how that works.  

Ted was a great racer, I always felt he had the most talent of anyone I had ever ridden with.  He taught me alot about wrenching, determination and just having fun, I owe him a great deal.  I bought my first Penton from him, a used factory racer.  We built tracks all over the farm.  In the winter we drove sheetmetal screws into our knobbies and raced on the frozen ponds.  (You have to go very fast to get out to the thick ice in the middle, the ice on the edges was very thin).  Life on the farm was as perfect as it could be.

My introduction to motorcycling by Ted some 29 years ago has led me to numerous BMWs as an adult.  I have a k1200rs now and commute to work everyday of the year on it.  I have never had a wreck or been down on the street.  Some of that is luck, but most of it is chasing Ted down a dusty farm lane in Ohio many years ago.  I might even be alive because of him.

Why do I have a KTM (78 400)?  It's not the bike, although it is a damn fine machine.  Tough, well built and simple.  No despite the bike's virtues, for me it is the family.  John could have imported Urals and it would not matter to me.

Pat once wrote to me that the farm was their garden of eden, it was for me too. My KTM transports me back there every time I swing a leg over it.  It is still a blast to ride.

OhioTed

My friend Terry D. & I, both new POG's as of the Penton Day event, had ridden Pentons years ago, and KTM's more recently.  However, we were surprised to find that our knowledge of the Penton legacy was quite backwards in one important respect.  That is, we ignorantly believed that Pentons were simply re-badged KTM's.  However, we discovered at the meeting, that during John's reign, the machines were sold as Pentons worldwide.  This is quite a revelation to us, as it means that the Penton name is international in importantance, corresponding to the growth of vintage bike interest.  As Speedy pointed out, the Italian's pursuits, for example, rival or exceed our own.  All the better to expand efforts to bring true classic status to Pentons. Pardon our ignorance, John, of this important fact, but it is great to know!  TED