Florida POGgers

Started by Swampy, February 20, 2004, 10:58:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Swampy

I'm looking for all the Florida Penton/KTM owners. I'd like to get a Florida Penton Rally going sometime later this year, perhaps in a central location such as the Ocala National Forest. And perhaps put on something for Bike Week 2005....(Can't do it this year, I'm already putting on the Bike Week Dual Sport and am tied up with other stuff as well that week...)

So if you're a Florida Pogger, chime in on the post!

Thanks...

Swampy
You ain\\\'t ridin\\\' if the wheel\\\'s ain\\\'t turnin\\\'

Paul Danik

Swampy,

You wouldn't happen to know Harris Turner by chance?  Harris started a gathering spot for BSA riders during Bike Week a number of years back and it sure has grown.  This year Harris is one of the movers and shakers behind the big BSA doings during Bike Week.  The reason I bring this up is that Harris is a Florida member of the Ohio Valley BSA Owners Club and had just the same thought as you have, but with BSA's, and it sure worked well.

You know with all of the POGGERS who are getting their Penton's street legal I wonder how a Vintage Dualsport ride might work out. Wouldn't a group of street legal Pentons crusing the back roads of the area be neat, aw what the heck, let's do mainstreet!!!!!

Keep us posted.
Thanks
Paul

Paul Danik

I just wanted to mention that the Penton motorcycle made it's first national showings at the Stone Mountain enduro and the Alligator enduro in 1968, if my math is right that was 36 years ago!!! The first Penton team consisted of John Penton, Tom Penton, Al Born, Larry Maiers, Leroy Winters and Dave Mungenast.  So the Penton does have some very important historic ties to Bike Week, sounds like a good enough reason to party to me!

jckwwhite

im down in naples,does anyone know about the dealership that was here years ago

tmc3c

Hey Swampy, Do you mind if a couple of us southern boys come down to ride with you from S.C. ! I too would like to get something going here in S.C. All I could do is tie it to bike week in Myrtle Beach. Oh Yeah I can't do dual sport LEGALLY !![8D]

Thomas Carmichael
Thomas Carmichael

1970 125 Six Day
1976 250 Hare Scrambler

atk114

Jack,

Keith Larson here. I live in Naples, FL also. We met at the SW Florida Motorcycle Expo a few weeks ago. As for the Penton Dealership in Naples. It was my dad's shop, and was called "Dirt Rider of Naples", The dealership included, Penton, Monark, Can-Am's, and was open 1973 to 1977. I've been reading posts on this site for some time and just sent in my membership fee. I would love to be involved in putting together something for Penton here in Florida. So, let's work together, and see just what we can do! Jack, I'll call you later.

Thanks,

Keith

Keith R. Larson
Keith R. Larson

firstturn

Keith,
  I would like to visit you the next time I go come back to Florida(I'm in Orland today).  I normally stay in Bonita Bay area so please e-mail me with how you can be reached.

[email protected]
Thanks,

Ron Carbaugh
Ron Carbaugh

thedish

us Georgia boys would like to get in on this.  I live in central Ga. and have a beautiful farm to use as a gathering place and already have a 100 mile Dual Sport marked and a route sheet for the same.  We use it for GATRA and the Atlanta Motorcycle Club.  The AMC is about 99% vintage riders.Keep us informed.
The Dual Sport Route is about 90% dirt roads, some in the national forest and Piedmont National Wildlife Reservation.
Terry Dishsroon ( The Dish)

w. terry dishroon
w. terry dishroon

john durrill

Swampy,
there are at least 3 POG members in Fla. My self , my son Peter and Rick G.
We live in the north end of the state. Welcome to the POG group and I hope we can ride together sometime soon. I'm a little dinged up just now but should be able to ride late spring or early summer.
John D.

Swampy

Terry Dishroon I know you! And your farm. Why'd you kick Kavula up to Ohio? It was because of the dancing girls, wasn't it!

The dual sport idea you guys have mentioned is...well...at least here in Florida, virtually undoable. How do I know. I already promote three dual sports here in state and two out of state. Terry you know our group, WDSRC/DixieDualSport. Visit our website at //www.dixiedualsport.com We've only grown to 1600 members in the southeast. I'm also in the middle of completeing a coast to coast (florida) dual sport route and a coast to coast road route for Bike Week next year.

Anyway, back on task. Reason being is all the hoops that we must jump through with forest service here to get it done. It'll be easier just formulateing a get together and trail ride, under the radar, but legal within forestry guidelines, which is doable. I just need to make time to get it done.

I also know a couple of guys that have Pentons and race hare scrambles with them. I don't wanna race. I just wanna ride through the woods at a liesuely pace without getting run over...

We'll get a get-together happening, count on it, and if it's successful, watchout, we may have a regional Southeastern POG-athon!

Swampy
Tampa Bay Area
President/Founder WDSRC/DixieDualSport
You ain\\\'t ridin\\\' if the wheel\\\'s ain\\\'t turnin\\\'

desmond197

I live just north of Jacksonville and would be into getting toether.

john durrill

Swampy,
You need to give Rick Grant a call. We still have use of a large section of Nationl Forest in the Tallahasse area.
 Back when we had the old shop, we had  a 180 mile loop we use for practice. In the 180 mile loop we only crossed our trail  once. Man i miss those days.
 Now i think Rick has about 80 miles left that we can use. We go over 3 or 4 times a year and meet. usually do about 40 miles  of trails.
John & Peter

OhioTed

I lived in Naples from '70 through '78 and dealt with a guy in town while I owned my '75 Hare Scrambler.  My memory is a little foggy, but I recall it was a little hole in the wall shop where I could get Penton parts.  I believe he also sold Husky & Maico stuff.  The shop was one block east of 41, close to downtown, about 2-3 blocks north of the where the Yamaha shop was back then, on the same street.  The owner once GAVE me new sidepanels (red & green ones) for the 250.  I'm going to be in Naples next month.  Anything I can help you with?  I may still have some contacts in town who we could call on.  Is Terry, Cypress Cycle, still in business?  He used to be out on Immokolee Road and helped me with a lot of parts & service.  I was just a kid then, so memory is hazy.  Let me know if I can be of more help, though.  

Quotequote:Originally posted by jckwwhite

im down in naples,does anyone know about the dealership that was here years ago

OhioTed

Keith,  Your dad was one heck of a nice guy, and treated me like gold, even though I was just an average slob kid.  As I mentioned to Jack, he once gave me two new sidepanels for my 250 Hare Scrambler, because I was a good customer, I guess.  If it wasn't for him being there with that shop, our little Euro-bike off road group would have been lost.  My one old buddy, (name lost to time) owned a 175 Can Am TNT, and while out trailriding with us one day, went wide on a fast sweeper to try to zap me and Tim A., who was riding a 360 Yamaha.  The only problem was this little bush in his line, that unfortunately turned out to have a stump growing in it.  Mr. Can Am must have flown sixty feet, but fortunately landed unhurt.  The bike however, suffered a totally wrecked front end:  collapsed wheel, crushed forks, etc.  Thing was, this bike was also his transportation to work.  Your dad came up with some used or low cost parts and got him back on the road.  I remember him running it without a front brake after that though.  Good times, good times.  Great knowing you guys are still out there.  How about my buddy Terry, at Cypress Cycle?  Any idea if he is still around?  TED
Quotequote:Originally posted by atk114

Jack,

Keith Larson here. I live in Naples, FL also. We met at the SW Florida Motorcycle Expo a few weeks ago. As for the Penton Dealership in Naples. It was my dad's shop, and was called "Dirt Rider of Naples", The dealership included, Penton, Monark, Can-Am's, and was open 1973 to 1977. I've been reading posts on this site for some time and just sent in my membership fee. I would love to be involved in putting together something for Penton here in Florida. So, let's work together, and see just what we can do! Jack, I'll call you later.

Thanks,

Keith

Keith R. Larson

atk114

Ted,

I agree, my dad is a great guy. It's wonderful to hear from someone that remember's us. Your memory is pretty good. Our 1st shop was small on Kirkwood Ave. next to my dad's Glass & Screen business. Sometime in 1976 we moved to the larger (5,000 sq/ft) building just off 10th Street.

Also, Terry (at Cypress Cycle) is still in business, and doing great! Next time in Naples be sure to look us up. It would be great to meet you.

Keith R. Larson
Keith R. Larson