Bosch flywheel still needed

Started by Big Ron, February 25, 2004, 09:01:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Big Ron

I'm still looking for a Bosch flywheel for a 1972 Penton 125. I don't know how much they are worth or how easy it is to find one. Anyone have one lying around that they don't need or any info on the Bosch system? Give me an email or post. Thanks, Big Ron

RWE
RWE

firstturn

Big Ron,
  There is one on eBay right now from on of our suppliers(Larry Perkins) at a buy it now price of $52.00!  Item number 2462117330.

Ron Carbaugh
Ron Carbaugh

Big Ron

Thanks , I'm watching it and  I will bid on it. I wonder what size those messed up threads are. Big Ron

RWE
RWE

firstturn

Big Ron,
  Not sure of the size since I'm not where I can measure the tool.  But most of these threads are messed up by using the wrong puller.  I have just grinded down the bad threads and still had enough threads to put the correct puller on.  This is if there are enough good threads.

Ron Carbaugh
Ron Carbaugh

Big Ron

If you can get me a thread size I would appreciate it. I don't have a puller to get the broken piece off, but I was hoping my son could make me one. Problems, problems. Big Ron

RWE
RWE

john durrill

Ron ,
 Al has pullers , so does Barry Higgans i think. it a standard puller for motoplat's with 2 sets of threads . fits the Point Bosch flywheel also. much easier and cheaper than haveing one made. For a new flywheel try the Hammers in Germany.
http://www.motorrad-klassiker-ersatzteile.de/
is this enough info?

John D.

firstturn

Ron & John,
 OK & OK - First things first.
1.  You ask for a replacement fly wheel.  That's on eBay.
2.  You ask about cleaning the threads on the one on eBay and I answered that.
3.  You now are sayong you have to get what is left of the old one off the crankshaft?  John told you where to find a puller and he is correct it is cheaper to purchase one unless someone has the proper metal(hard) to make one and the proper machine shop.
4.  If all of this correct the next BIG step is to not damage the crankshaft end.  Start soaking the threads now with penatrating oil everyday or so to get it ready.  When you use the puller you also need to use a cap that fits over the end of the crankshaft to keep from damaging the threads (on the end of the crankshaft).

I hate to be so detail, but if you mess up a crankshaft end you will be upset.  Anything else you have a question on or if anyone else has some suggestions please help.  This is a team effort and there are plenty of good guys out there that will help.

Ron Carbaugh
Ron Carbaugh

Big Ron

Hey guys , thanks for all the good info. I'm just a novice and need walked through these matters. Thanks, Big Ron

RWE
RWE

john durrill

RWE,
 keep us up on how you are doing. 2 Rons on the same message makes it hard to know who one is talking to , Chuckle Chuckle!
use care in geting the old one off. ask lots of questions if its not going well. one mistake could cause  you grief and a lot ot time and money.
JOhn D.

Big Ron

Thanks John, I won the flywheel on EBay and I hope to get it soon. The bike has been sitting for about 20 years so I don't know where to start. Do clutches go bad from sitting? I guess I'll try to get it started and then a possible frame off restoration? I'll learn a lot in the process, I hope. Everything probably neens replaced. Any US sourses you reccomend? Thanks , Big Ron

RWE
RWE

Bob

Quotequote:Originally posted by Big Ron

Do clutches go bad from sitting?

Yes. The steel plates get rusty and everything sticks when used. Disassemble your clutch and clean everything in automobile ATF ( automatic transmission fluid ). Clean the rust off the steel plates with steel wool or Scotchbrite first.

Bob in Va

john durrill

RWE,
 look on the suppliers list on the home page. DR2stroke in Swizerland and the Hammers in Germany can help with anything that is not avaiable in the US.
You can find almost everything you will need. order a parts book and a maint book from Al B. to get you started
John D.