Penton Ebay

Started by foster-boy, March 30, 2004, 01:39:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

foster-boy

#2469072890 Anybody know anything about this bike i can't get a hold of the seller so i was thinking of bidding what would be a smart price to stop at? thanks

crash carden

Hello Foster Boy, I took a look at the 125 Penton you want to bid on. That looks like a very nice bike. Also with the fact of all the work that has already been done to this bike,and it is near you for easy pick up, I say bid away. Remember they are not making any more of these bikes and they are getting harder to find and more costly. I have done a complete restoration on my 175 Penton because when I found it, it was a basket case. Since it was my old original bike that I had bought new in 1973 I felt it was worth doing a complete restoration on. You know lots of old mermoreies their. So I can tell you this is not cheap to do, the parts prices add up fast and they are hard to find. I have over $5000.00 invested in my Penton but it is like brand new, and it was worth it to me.I would say this bike is worth $2000.00 to $2500.00, you will never lose money on a Penton.As far as lights all the Pentons come with a built in lighting coil. You just need the lights,wires and switch, hook it up and your ready to go. Good luck, Crash Carden, Go Team Penton!

firstturn

Crash,
  I'm not trying to be detail, but not all Pentons have lighting coils.  The PVL are not equipped nor are the internal flywheel MotoPlats.  The only reason I point this out is I have already had a problem with someone thinking they all had lighting coils.
  Go ahead and stick another pin in that doll you won't be the first[:p].

Ron Carbaugh
Ron Carbaugh

foster-boy

HELLO HOW BIG OF A PROJECT WOULD IT BE IF IT DOES NOT HAVE A LITE COIL? ARE PARTS AVALIABLE FOR THIS? THANKS FOSTER-BOY

firstturn

If it has the original MotoPlat/Ignition you are in business.  I would just ask the seller if it has a large flywheel(covers the ignition system).  If he know what your asking he can answer you quickly.  
  And since you didn't ask:).  Obtaining the original lights is not cheap.  I would suggest a Preston Petty front and rear light set up.  I hope this helps.

Ron Carbaugh
Ron Carbaugh

tomale

Hey Ron,
My 76 has the original motoplat, It has the red coil wire. will I be able to hook up a head light to it? I am thinking about setting it up for the reunion ride in oct. I thought I would just get a preston petty light setup and then set it up so that when I want to the lights can go on easy.
There is no hurry about this, I am just thinking long term. better to be proactive.
Thom

Thom Green,I own and ride a 76 250 MC5 MX which I bought new.
Thom Green,Still crazy after all these years!
74\\\' 1/2 440 maico
70\\\' 400 maico (project)
93\\\' RMx 250 suzuki
2004 Suzuki DL1000
1988 Honda Gl 1500
2009 KTM 400 XC-W

john durrill

Thom,
We have wireing diagrams for the Bosch mag and motoplats scanned. Let us know and we can post them in the library. There are some there now but not all.
John D.

firstturn

Thom,
  The MotoPlat you have should do just fine.  The red coil wire makes no difference.  You will do fine with the information that John talks about or you know how to get me.

Ron Carbaugh
Ron Carbaugh

tomale

Thanks guys, I was looking at those last night but when I went to print, they were too small for these old eyes to see clearly.... I will see if my wonderful wife can help to print a size that clears things up, If I run into problems I will let you know.

Thom Green,I own and ride a 76 250 MC5 MX which I bought new.
Thom Green,Still crazy after all these years!
74\\\' 1/2 440 maico
70\\\' 400 maico (project)
93\\\' RMx 250 suzuki
2004 Suzuki DL1000
1988 Honda Gl 1500
2009 KTM 400 XC-W

foster-boy

Hello where would i go on the site to find wire diagrams for a 72 penton 125? could you steer me there! thanks  foster-boy