Vintage Views

Started by Randy Kirkbride, April 07, 2004, 07:51:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dwight Rudder

Quotequote:Originally posted by firstturn

Dwight & Larry,
  The 1974 Six Day I have with the rib forks has a frame that dates the manufacturing as Septmber 1974.  I agree with Larry on the travel because this was one of my debates back in the 70's.  Everybody make it a good day.

Ron Carbaugh

But wouldn't a manufacturing date of Sept. 74 been actually a 1975 model ? Most companies stop manufacturing the current year model at end of month 6 or June. I also had  1974 model , with the GS tuned engine , and round tank with cable straps. Short travel rear. But it had the standard 35mm forks no rib. I don't know of any 74 models that had ribbed forks originally. But I could be wrong. Ask Doug or Dane.
Cher'o,
Dwight

Dwight Rudder
7 time ISDT / E medalist
8 time National Enduro Class Champion.

Larry Perkins

This year model thing has come up before and this is what I was told back in "The Day" and supposedly it still holds true.  KTM goes on vacation in August so that all the production before August is that year and all the production from September on is the next year.  I agree with Dwight that Ron's bike is a '75 but there were 74 1/2 Hare Scramblers that were produced before August that I saw with the ribbed forks.  As far as that goes the 74 1/2 250's had the multi-suspension in the back and you could get 7" in the laydown position but of course unless set-up properly they are Post-Vintage.  I think because of the Like Model rule it all depends on travel and technology advances and not really year.  Good debate and I am sure AHRMA has hashed this several times which is probably part of the reason they considered ending the Like Model rule for a short time.

firstturn

Dwight & Larry,
  I went over this deal before and I am not indicating anyone is right or wrong, but read on.
  This whole thing of year popped up with Honda and the Federal  and State governments on titles and Certificate of Origins.  I don't want to go too far on this, but dealers that sold bikes of a previous year could and did receive new certificates of origin so they could sell bikes as current year models to make the customer feel like he was getting a current year and the banks were financing a new/current year bike.  I know because I have had access to blank certificates of origins.
  Now with all this said I think the new front ends floated out before the quote '75 bikes came out so we are all right.  And NO I'm not into politics or running for any office[:o)].

Ron Carbaugh
Ron Carbaugh

OUCWBOY

Ron,
I'm voting for you during the election!

Donny Smith
Donny Smith
Paragould, AR

firstturn

Donny,
  You obviously are talking about the successful candidate that they are looking for to put in the cage and throw baseballs at...Mid Ohio.  I think it is called a dunking booth[8].

Ron Carbaugh
Ron Carbaugh

Larry Perkins

Very Good Obie Wan!  At least it isn't the drunking booth.  That's where they throw half empty Jack Daniels bottles at you and if the hit you have to kill it.