Mid -Ohio

Started by tmc3c, April 09, 2004, 04:41:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tmc3c

Is there any trail riding around Mid - Ohio? The reason I ask is that I just bought my son his first Bike a Xr200R and I was wondering if I should bring his also so we could do some riding also.With him being only 13 its a long ride just to watch.

Thomas Carmichael
Thomas Carmichael

1970 125 Six Day
1976 250 Hare Scrambler

tmc3c

Thank You Oscar !

Thomas Carmichael
Thomas Carmichael

1970 125 Six Day
1976 250 Hare Scrambler

OhioTed

Thomas,  Make sure you check out the Wayne National Forest's regulations concerning aquisition of a "permit to ride" sticker.  I've heard stories coming out of there about riders getting fined for not having the stickers, yet the office which provides them is not open weekends, nor will they provide the stickers by mail.  This is old, secondhand info, but it's best to be sure rather than risk a fine from the Federal agencies which we fund.

Paul Danik

Thomas,
   Just incase you are not aware of Mid-Ohio's rules, they are very, very strict about riding on their grounds. Your bike must have a plate to ride on their property, I have a Penton with lights on it and I just stick an old plate on  and so far have gotten by. My son was stopped while riding my street legal Route 66 and was checked out.  He had a legal drivers licence but no motorcycle endorcement and he was told to not get caught again, I also told him to not get CAUGHT again:D I know you didn't ask about riding at Mid-Ohio, but I just wanted to pass this info along.

To Anyone.  
      I have a question about riding in the Wayne National Forest, I would like to take my son and son inlaw there to ride. They have several trails listed, we like tighter more technical trails and wonder which ones are most suited to us? I realize it is best to try them all, but would appreciate hearing different opinions.

Thanks and Happy Easter.
Paul

OhioTed

Hey Paul, I was surprised to read your report of strict regulations at Mid-Ohio concerning vehicle operation.  Every year I have been there, I observe everything on two wheels that can move under its own power cruising around, including riders going to and from the motocross track on their race bikes.  I had my Honda SL350 there a couple of years ago for transport around the facility and didn't even bother to hang a plate on it.  Why did they bother your boy on a fully-legal street bike???  About Wayne National, although it has been a few years since we were down there, I recall that the trails are listed by level of difficulty.  Go with the ones marked "most difficult".  This led us to nice single-track trails, such that you would find while riding an enduro.  In fact, we observed what looked to be enduro-event trail markers still in place.  Hopefully, the place has not yet been all hogged out, with trails 40' wide.  Good luck, and remember to check about those permit stickers.  TED

firstturn

Everyone,
  I think the key to Paul's story is that Mid-Ohio is serious about regulating their events, mainly to satisfy and keep its insurance as low priced as it can.  Generally the security has been Very Nice, but firm.  I think the key here is to stay within the rules and that way we insure the future of being able to use two wheelers.
  I speak from experience on keeping  our ability to ride two wheelers because I have seen so many swap meets (car and other wise ) just get tired of the hassle presented by Motorcycles and even bicycles that they stopped use of all.
  Just my input[8D].

Ron Carbaugh
Ron Carbaugh

tmc3c

Hey Guy's , My bike is set up for MX / Hare Scrambles with No head light etc. Sure would be fun to get a group to go ride in the forest together so we all don't get thrown in jail, I am not sure if my boy knows how to dodge the law yet[}:)] being this is his first bike but I do know that this trip should be something we will remember for years to come.Thanks Guys for all of your time on this post,I can't wait & just made my hotel reservations yesterday and I know next year I won't wait this long to do so!!!

Thomas Carmichael
Thomas Carmichael

1970 125 Six Day
1976 250 Hare Scrambler

OhioTed

Thomas,  I just thought of another place to suggest.  It has been a while since I have been there, but the area a fully legalized ORV park nowadays.  It is off State Route 11, along the Ohio river, right outside of Wellsville, Ohio.  It's about two hours east of Mansfield, but I do not know of anywhere closer.  If you take the next exit south of Wellsville, off 11, you will see the signs directing you to the park.  Not sure what it looks like now, but you would probably find varied trails, mostly pretty wide, with considerably elevation changes.  Not a bad area.  Worth checking out, if you do not find anything better.  TED

tmc3c

I will be coming up from South Carolina and I belive it is about 11 hr trip so if we could find something that is close to Lexington it would be better for my son and myself. Any Idea's?

Thomas Carmichael
Thomas Carmichael

1970 125 Six Day
1976 250 Hare Scrambler

swamp fox

Hey TC,
I'd like to take a bike up there and ride with you, but all the family stuff sort of wiped that out this year. I haven't done any reservations myself, just thought I'd chunk the tent and stuff into the tahoe and go the cheap route. You know, campfire cologne!

PS - I couldn't bring myself to ride my old Honda cr alongside that "new" Penton of yours, so I'll have to wait and get my "new/old" Penton going. Maybe be saving some money on hotel/motel, I can justify a ditty bag of parts if any are available.

Robert Manucy
72 Berkshire
72 Six Day
Robert Manucy
72 Berkshire
72 Six Day
82 Honda cr250r
04 BMW K 1200 GT - KIA in N. Ga. - 32987 smiles
08 BMW K 1200 S
17 Ktm 300 Six Day (50th Aniversary) ;)

tmc3c

Hey Bobby, I also toyed with camping but after that long trip and I hope to race while there I felt I might need a room with a tub so I could SOAK !! I see that there is 2 mx races, which one is for a 1976 Penton 250 ? Anybody?

Thomas Carmichael
Thomas Carmichael

1970 125 Six Day
1976 250 Hare Scrambler