To Restore or not to Restore.

Started by STEVEN PAYNE, May 18, 2004, 01:37:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

STEVEN PAYNE

In the Vintage Auto and Antique furniture world, it is becoming the trend to leave them in their original condition. Does anyone see this happening with dirt bikes. How far should I go with the restoration of my  '73' Jackpiner.  Thanks for any input.

firstturn

Steven,
  I see unrestored bikes as a premium.  Just as I have seen things in the auto world of collecting go toward unrestored cars I've seen the same trend of survivior bikes being the most desired for the future.
  Just my take.  Oh and I have told many people not to refinish old furniture until it was apprased, and I have seen furniture ruined with fresh finishes.

Ron Carbaugh
Ron Carbaugh

Doug Wilford

Ronper, Is quite right.   A clean, Barn Fresh, Original, unrestored Penton that runs is the Premium bike to have.   The decision on what to do really depends on what plans you have for the bike.   Will you put it in your living room for a show piece?   Will you use it to go riding with your friends every now and then?   Do you plan to use it for competition?   Each has an answer, but those are yours alone to answer.   Have fun and enjoy your project.

Rain Man

barn fresh and running, but,  hoo boy,  dosen't welding the broken and bent pieces back to original shape wreack havock with that barn fresh look.
Raymond
Raymond
 Down East Pentons

tmc3c

Hi Steve, I am one of those who has done a complete resto on a 1976 250 GS and I am just in LOVE with Pentons and I plan on riding mine like it was meant to be ridden, but I really didn't have a choice with this baby because it was in"BARN SHAPE" and in this case it was glad to see a PENTON lover come by and save it! mine isn't about the dollar it is about the love of the bike! even though I would love to own a original flat tracker.............

Thomas Carmichael
Thomas Carmichael

1970 125 Six Day
1976 250 Hare Scrambler

Rain Man

I have thought about this for a few days now and have come to the conclusion that, as Doug has stated, go riding and have fun. Thats the bottom line. I got 2 73 Jackpiners, both of them lived in a hew(sheep) barn for 20 years. I feel at this point, the most important thing is to get them back on line. A brand new motor that starts, runs and powers the bike 60mph down the trail is a big incentive to me. Now I got a running Penton with bent rims, leaking forks, crooked handle bars and a frame that looks like... a hew barn. But, I have the incentive, as time and money permits, to purchase the new fenders, respoke and replace those bent rims,and after goofing with it all day Saturday, the satisfaction to take it out and ride it on Sunday. Application and iniative will restore your bike, and also you'll be getting "in the wind" at the same time
rubber side down now
Raymond
Raymond
 Down East Pentons

OhioTed

I had a conversation with Al B. recently on this exact subject.  Al is strongly in favor of original bikes, rather than performing restorations.  I personally do not even have a complete Penton to be concerned with right now.  However, during a recent visit to my old stomping grounds down in SW Florida, I visited an buddy who runs a little bike shop - the same one I dealt with 30 years ago.  During a tour of his current facility, he showed me a Penton fuel tank that had been sittin' on a shelf for many years.  I expressed great interest in the tank, and low and behold, my old friend recently sent the thing to me.  I am thrilled to be in posession on the tank, which appears to be from a '72 or '73 125 Six Day.  Regardless of whether I eventually acquire a bike to slide under the tank, I intend to have a certain Mr. John Penton autograph it.  Big question is, should I try to paint the tank?  I have begun to rub it out, and it is in very good condition.  However, the fiberglass is a bit rough and the full color and gloss will not come back except, interestingly enough, where the strap was.  What do you think, guys????  It also has a little unpainted fiberglass repair right up around the filler neck.
Without the help of a professional, I could never hope to apply fresh paint to rival the original appearance, so I don't want to make matters worse by trying.  However, I am well aware of the hazards of
"over-restoring".  HELP!

Rocket

Ted
I have had great results with Meguire's #1 cleaner, #2 polish and a wool pad on an air buffer.  Use the #1 and then go to #2.  Great results and it don't take too long.
Rocket

OhioTed

Hey, Rod - thank you very much for the specifics on what to use.  Coming from you, I know the results will be satisfactory.  Where are the Meguires products sold?  I think I may have seen them in auto parts stores.  Maybe you could help me out with another matter concering the tank as well:  how do I remove the "Six Day" decal residue?  The stickers themselves are long gone, but the adhesive that remains is rock hard, and really bonded to the tank.

Rocket

Ted
I use several methods, heat gun to gently warm the hardened glue and a solvent on a rag.  3M makes a product that removes adhesive that I have used and I have good luck with a product called Wilbond.  3M product, automotive paint store, wilbond, household type paint store.  Maquire's can be bought at Walmart's or automotive stores.
Rod

OhioTed

Thanks muchly, Rod.  You're a professional.  The info is invaluable.

OhioTed

Rod,  No luck with the 3M sticker removal product.  Those things are like petrified.  The solvent does not faze them in the slightest.  I am going to have to resort to sanding the sticker glue off.  However, since I also used some of the Meguires product you suggested, I can see that the surface is not in as good a shape as I desire.  As a result, I would like to have the tank painted - by a professional.  Any certainties about the correct paint code to match color?

swamp fox

Ohio Ted,
I have just finished getting the stickers off a 72 Six Day tank using the hair dryer and some denatured alcohol. Being an avid boater also, I used 3m Marine Fiberglass Restorer & Wax. It did a pretty good job, as I will be using this as a rider and not a show piece. I had also seen a tank that fellow Pogger "Jerry" had painted by a gentleman in Washington State, which he will be taking to Mid-Ohio. I may have mine painted by him, if the rest of the bike starts to shine too much by the time I'm finished. Maybe I can get a picture from Jerry and post it for all to see.

PS - You can get the 3m products at Boaters World or Wal-Mart

Robert Manucy
72 Berkshire
72 Six Day
Robert Manucy
72 Berkshire
72 Six Day
82 Honda cr250r
04 BMW K 1200 GT - KIA in N. Ga. - 32987 smiles
08 BMW K 1200 S
17 Ktm 300 Six Day (50th Aniversary) ;)

JCHubbard

I'm resurrecting an old thread rather starting a new one.  Today I just bought a 73 DKW 125 that was listed on ebay. The owner is a true gentleman and I'm grateful that he sold the bike to me.  It will definitely have a vintage friendly home. Here's a local link: http://www.bike4sale.co/detail/oAoPmcLLPPVAcmoAFmuL/1973-DKW-125-Enduro-vintage-motorcycle-original-owner Original owner, titled, all service manuals, etc, etc...  

After it took 3.5 years to fully restore my 69 Maico 360, I vowed I would never undertake a full restoration again. However, I am firm believer in resurrecting these old steeds and making them mechanically sound and cosmetically presentable.  However, with this DKW, I'm torn about what I should do after I bring it home.  

Oh, I know I'll tear it down and go through everything, and will take the seat to my local upholstery shop and have a seat cover made (he uses the old ones as a template, and does a very nice job!), and do my military spit shine on it.  But like old saying goes, it's only original once.  

So my question to you gentlemen, if this were your bike, what would you do? Fully restore, partially restore, resurrect, or clean it up  and leave as is?

Thanks in advance.

John
JC Hubbard

thrownchain

What is your end use gonna be ? Ride, show ??