Origns of the 125cc Species

Started by OUCWBOY, May 25, 2004, 02:12:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

OUCWBOY

Hello to all!
I just read an article by Rick Doughty (Vintage Iron) in the June Racer X Magazine. Intersting! He pays a large complement to John on being the Father to the 125cc Enduro and MX machines. Just thought it was a good read and wanted to share.

Donny Smith
Donny Smith
Paragould, AR

OhioTed

Thanks for the tip, Donny.  My only contact with Rick came as the result of my search for a replacement seat cover for the 1975 Honda
MR175 I put back together a few years ago.  I found nothing available specific to the MR, but saw that Vintage Iron offered CR covers.  I called Rick and asked him if he knew if the CR's seat was the same as the MR.  He did not know, but offered to accept a return of the cover, should I order, but not use it.  Well, not only did the cover fit, but it was of excellent quality, and at a very reasonable price.  Very pleased with how well the cover complimented my bike, I sent Rick a letter of thanks.  About a week later, I get a telephone call at work.  It was Rick, and he was calling not only to thank me for the letter, but to ask if he could use my comments in his next catalog.  As a result of this experience, it is my opinion that Rick Doughty is a gentleman, a good businessman, and is very generous and gracious to all persons he comes in contact with.  Now we just have to get him to start riding Pentons.

Gavin Housh

Hey Ted, I don't think you will see Rick on a Penton any time soon. He is a Maico man through and through. Watching him race is a memorable experiance. He hauls Ass!

rob w

He (Rick) bought two Penton's off from me at Mid-Ohio last year. A '71 Sixday and a '72 Six Day.

OhioTed

What's a "Maico"???     Just kidding, guys.  I kinda figured Rick was pretty fast, Gavin.  Where did you see him riding?  I've only ever seen photos of him, and in them he was always riding some old four stroke.  He probably bought Rob's 125's just to look at - they are that pretty.

OUCWBOY

RIck puts on a huge World Vintage Championship each year at Glen Helen Raceway. He somtimes announces the races too. One year, there was one rider on a Penton (yes, just one) and Rick kept talking about the Sachs motors having six gears and 7 neutrals. After that weekend, I visited his location looking for parts on the 1st Six Day I was trying to get running and he had nothing at all. Two years later, he was offering fenders, handlebars, cables and rims. He is a very nice guy and always has time to assist someone. Fast? Yes he is, but there are lots of riders that are faster.

Donny Smith
Donny Smith
Paragould, AR

tomale

I think I read somewhere that rick buys and restores bikes for the Primm MX colection. I know they were looking for a few more penton models a few months back.
Donny send me an e-mail when you get your shop set up. I am looking for a few things that I have not found any place else. and by the way thanks for the wheel. I understand that you gave Ron the wheel to give to me. I spoke with Ron this morning and he said it is on its way. Thanks very much. It will be nice to have Penton parts on the west coast. Are you down in the LA area.

Thom Green,I own and ride a 76 250 MC5 MX which I bought new.
Thom Green,Still crazy after all these years!
74\\\' 1/2 440 maico
70\\\' 400 maico (project)
93\\\' RMx 250 suzuki
2004 Suzuki DL1000
1988 Honda Gl 1500
2009 KTM 400 XC-W

OUCWBOY

Thom,
I'm in the San Diego area for now. I may be moving soon though. My daughter is moving away to attend college in Arkansas. She was the only reason I stayed in CA after I retired form the Navy.

Donny Smith
Donny Smith
Paragould, AR

tomale

Donny, any idea where to or will you follow your daughter.

Thom Green,I own and ride a 76 250 MC5 MX which I bought new.
Thom Green,Still crazy after all these years!
74\\\' 1/2 440 maico
70\\\' 400 maico (project)
93\\\' RMx 250 suzuki
2004 Suzuki DL1000
1988 Honda Gl 1500
2009 KTM 400 XC-W

tmte123

Yeah, Donny, Where to?  Washington state is really, really nice.  Just think.....Pentons Northwest has a nice ring to it.;)

Currently ride a '75 XL-250, '78 TT500. Restoring (Re-Penton) a '74 250 Hare/ Scrambler
Currently ride a \\\'75 XL-250, Restoring (Re-Penton) a \\\'74 250 Hare/Scrambler

OUCWBOY

Kinda thinking about Texas or Oklahoma! You know I am an Okie!

Donny Smith
Donny Smith
Paragould, AR

tmte123

Okie Penton or Pentons of Texas (POT) just dosn't sound right.
On the other hand, Lone Star Pentons, does.  You and Ron would be quite a team.:D

Currently ride a '75 XL-250, '78 TT500. Restoring (Re-Penton) a '74 250 Hare/ Scrambler
Currently ride a \\\'75 XL-250, Restoring (Re-Penton) a \\\'74 250 Hare/Scrambler