250cc transmission woes HELP!

Started by penton117, June 07, 2004, 10:16:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

penton117

Hi Guys,

I just got done (or so I thought) assembling my latest 1974 Hare Scrambler. The first blast up the street showed me two things. Reed valves make the power brand feel different:D and I have no 4th gear! :( Every time I try to shift it into 4th it goes into a neutral. One more up shift gets it into 5th. No strange sounds, just one too many neutrals! Kinda reminds me of my Sachs-engined Pentons! So does anyone have any ideas as to where I screwed up or what to look for when I go back inside?

Thanks.

dennis foley

i had the same problem on a 76 mc5 250 that i had purchased, also 4th gear, after taking it a part i found that somebody had the shift fork in backwards. it did make any noise, it just wasnt there. dennis

Kip Kern

Your shift Quadrant may be worn/spread out of specification, it should measure no more than 54.8mm between faces or it may not function properly. This is what rotates your shift drum, old or new style.

penton117

Thanks guys, I will check both the shift quadrant and the shift forks. I never thought you could install the shift forks wrong as they are each a different height as well as one of them requiring a notch cut out of it to clear the quadrant. Of course, if there was a way to assemble it wrong I would have figured out how! I will keep you posted as to the mysterious "extra neutral" and how I end up eliminating it!

dennis foley

its been to many years, i cant remember just how the fork was. but is was make no contact.i dont remember removing it from the shaft so it might of just been out of place or on the wrong side of gear. when i first took it apart i didnt see it. it took a few minutes to figure it out.

vmx1963

Anyone know if the shift drum differs between the 74 and 75 engines?

VMX1963
Western Australia
VMX KTM

Rocket

I believe all of the 6-speed shift drums were the same from the 125 to 400 KTM motors.
Rocket