Colorado & Idaho Trail Riding

Started by LynnCamp, June 13, 2004, 11:03:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LynnCamp

The first two weeks in July, Jim and I are going riding in the Sawtooth National Forest in Idaho (to Billy Uhl's OHV school and some of the surrounding trails systems) and then down to Colorado around the Lake City, Ouray, Silverton and Salida areas. We have some maps and videos of many of the trail systems, but if any of y'all live in those areas and could share some tips on your favorite trail -- or better yet, go out for a day of riding with us -- either let me know in this forum, or email me your phone number and I will give you a ring.

tomale

Lynn, what part of the sawtooth mountains will you be going? We spent last summer vacation near Elk city. It is really not a city just a small town at the end of the map. we had a great time. We saw alot of deer and even a herd of Elk, It was beutiful. I am not sure if I can be of any help but since I am much closer to them than you are maybe I can be of some help ? It is only about 1000 miles from home for us. I am not sure we can make it over to ride but that would be fun.

Thom Green,I own and ride a 76 250 MC5 MX which I bought new.
Thom Green,Still crazy after all these years!
74\\\' 1/2 440 maico
70\\\' 400 maico (project)
93\\\' RMx 250 suzuki
2004 Suzuki DL1000
1988 Honda Gl 1500
2009 KTM 400 XC-W

deek

Hi Lynn

I'm in Northern Idaho, near Coeur d' Alene. The trails club (PANTRA), groomes miles and miles of trails up here. Big State Ride here in July, (//www.pantra.org)check here for information. Otherwise just stop by the local Forest Service Office for trail maps.

Dale
N. Idaho

LynnCamp

Thom, thanks for the offer of help.  I would have thought you were closer than 1,000 miles, but I certainly would have been wowed beyond belief if you would have even considered driving that far to ride with us! Next year's vacation, I hope to make it out to your territory and would love to do some riding with you, Terry and the gang. (and maybe even listen to the Rev part of the The Right, Rockin', Revvin' Rev)

Dale,  we will be in the southern part.  Originally, I had planned a much more ambitous tour of the Northwestern trails which would have included your area and then on to Oregon and Washington before heading South to Colorado in my search for the perfect trail riding place to retire to....  However, my husband gave me a wake up call as to how many trailheads were  possible / practical on my two weeks of vacation.

At the ISDTRR, Billy Uhl told me that Idaho had 2,000 miles of the most fantastic trails.... So......... I wanted (on my measly little vaction time) to at least spend a couple of days with Billy (at his OHV school) in Atlanta, ID.  But, I gave up on doing Northern Idaho, Oregon and Washington and, instead, agreed to head down to Colorado where some of Jim's family lives (at least we will get free overnight digs half of the time).  Thanks for the tip on the PANTRA link -- I hadn't run across them, so it will be a big help for next trip.

tmte123

HI Lynn,  I was talking to Thom today about the possibility of meeting you in Idaho, he liked the idea, especially when I pointed out to him that the 1000 miles was a round trip figure.  So we might give it shot.  Let us know when you'll be there and we'll try to figure a way to hook up with you guys.  We don't need much of an excuse to go ride, but to go somewhere new, meet someone new, yahooo adventure time.  I don't know if I'll have my scrambler ready by then but I'll give it a good shot.[8]  And maybe Thom will have the transmission woes worked out on his 400.  Terry

Currently ride a '75 XL-250, '78 TT500. Restoring (Re-Penton) a '74 250 Hare/ Scrambler
Currently ride a \\\'75 XL-250, Restoring (Re-Penton) a \\\'74 250 Hare/Scrambler

firstturn

Lynn,
  I believe you had stated before that you have a brother in law that lives in Colorado that had a history with flat tracking, correct?  If so please update us on any restoeation he might be doing on his old bike (no matter what brand).  Sounds like a great trip and just ride safe (listen to me).

Ron Carbaugh
Ron Carbaugh

LynnCamp

Ron,
You sure do have a super memory.  After reading your email, I called Jim's brother, John (better known as "Crazy" Camp).  When we told him a couple of months ago that we were coming to ride Colorado trails, he started to try and get one of his bikes running.  I asked him the models........  1981 honda four stroke 500cc, 1987 Honda 600cc (which he is thinking about putting in his short track frame) and two Yamaha TT500s.  The bike he won the Arizona State Championship on was a 250 td3 twin Yamaha engine in chrome-moly frame, but the engine is blown.  

He is hoping he can get two of them running so he can go riding with us.  I am thinking that the Bear Trial out of Ouray will be best for those large bikes.  But Johnny used to be able to do anything on a bike, so maybe he could handle the tighter trails.

LynnCamp

Terry,
That would be fantastic!  We will take a lesson from Billy on Monday, June 25 and continue to ride out of Atlanta, ID the next day - Tuesday.  Let me know if that is a possibility.  Are you going to Mid-Ohio with Thom?

tmte123

Dang!  I'm going to be on a small island in S. Puget Sound the weekend before with the family, and a bunch of friends who coach Special Olympic X-C skiing with us.  Next week we'll be in So Oregon for 5 days. I didn't know you were coming so soon.
And Mid-Ohio is out for both of us....time and budgetary concerns.  But, we are planning on OK for the ISDT-RR.  My wife has family in the area (OK City and D-FW) so we will try to kill a whole flock with a single stone.  Sound like you will have a blast, though.  Of course we will expect the slide show and loads of amusing anecdotes from your adventures. Terry

Currently ride a '75 XL-250, '78 TT500. Restoring (Re-Penton) a '74 250 Hare/ Scrambler
Currently ride a \\\'75 XL-250, Restoring (Re-Penton) a \\\'74 250 Hare/Scrambler

Rocket

Lynn
Are you going to Idaho to ride?  The reason I ask, I sold a bike to a gentleman in Oregon and am looking for a way to get it to him.  If you have room to haul an extra, I am sure Bill would make it worth your while in gas money.
thanks
Rod

tmte123

Hey Lynn,
Thom and I were just talking and we think maybe we could make it over there  for a Tues. ride. We would leave here Mon at O-dark-00 (4:00am) and be there by 4:00pm.  If we could find a place nearby to camp, we would have it made in the shade. Ride all day Tues, Whine (me, not Super Rev.) all the way home on Wed.  Let us know how to contact you when you get there. Terry

LynnCamp

Rod, I saw your earlier post looking for a ride to Oregon.  The truck will be full.  I am checking on trailer rentals to see if that would be cost effective.  Would he come to Idaho to pick it up?

Terry, Atlanta, ID has a primitive campground.  Atlanta does not have hotel or gas station and you will have to travel quite a ways on dirt roads to get there.  Which may mean you would want to camp closer to civilization and then drive into Atlanta in the early morning daylight.  I understand that cell phones don't work there (heck they only got real phones 8 years ago), but we can arrange to meet up at the campground.

Rocket

Lynn
I am sure that Bill would meet you in Idaho.  I can give you his phone number if you email at my home. [email protected]
When are you leaving?  
thanks
Rod

bildough

Terry; what part of So Oregon you coming to in the next couple weeks. I live in Klamath Falls, so Oregon.

tmte123

Hey Bill, Hopefully I'll see you this Monday or Tues, when you get back fom Portland.  Thom and I were talking and if Lynn can bring the bike, we could load it up and maybe meet you half way before we swing back North.  We are still working out the details to get us to Idaho. But there should be a way to get all this to work. Terry