Worcs great

Started by tomale, June 14, 2004, 12:11:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tomale

Well I did my first ever Cross country race this weekend. If you have seen or heard about the Worcs stuff it really sounded great and it was. The coarse is layed out to include a diveristy of riding disciplines. The coarse includes MX but also single track, tight woods, grass track, wide open straights (1/4 mile long) mud, sand gravel and hard pack. The race lasted an hour plus a lap. I was never so tired in my life and I am still sore after now almost 48 hours has past. this just does not happen to me. I did fine though, the last lap it was all that I could do to get through some of the rough sections. I made 5 laps and managed to finish with a reasonable time, repectable for even a new bike. My elapse time was 1:08.34 I think any way I was only 3 minutes behind the two guys that finished 2nd and 3rd, there was only a couple of seconds between them. The guy that won our class finished second over all for that race. And that against all modern bikes. He must have been 10 minutes in front of me. There were only 4 riders in my class and the other three were all seasoned experts. So I do not feel bad at all for how I finished. I had a great time and the guys that put on the race did a great job. If you get a change to do a WORCS event do it. Just make sure you are in shape. I had a number of people come up and ask me about my bike, some had never seen one before, others said it brought back memories. All of them said it was a nice bike.... I think so too. It was fun to beat some of the new KTMs just goes to show ya that it is not just the bike that the wins races. Though I think it would be fun to ride that event on a new bike. Hmmm how do I make that happen? Hmm better not think too much about that, or I will have some explaining to do lucy.

Thom Green,I own and ride a 76 250 MC5 MX which I bought new.
Thom Green,Still crazy after all these years!
74\\\' 1/2 440 maico
70\\\' 400 maico (project)
93\\\' RMx 250 suzuki
2004 Suzuki DL1000
1988 Honda Gl 1500
2009 KTM 400 XC-W

Big Mac

You go, studly preacher man!
Now that you're prepped, keep lobbying for GP at Hammer & Tongs.
And next year, you better mark the calendar for the Desert 100. Mac
Jon McLean
Lake Grove, OR

tmte123

Here's Thom waiting for the 4th race to get started.
See next post.

Currently ride a '75 XL-250, '78 TT500. Restoring (Re-Penton) a '74 250 Hare/ Scrambler
Currently ride a \\\'75 XL-250, Restoring (Re-Penton) a \\\'74 250 Hare/Scrambler

tmte123

The Loneliness of a cross-country racer.
Currently ride a '75 XL-250, '78 TT500. Restoring (Re-Penton) a '74 250 Hare/ Scrambler
Currently ride a \\\'75 XL-250, Restoring (Re-Penton) a \\\'74 250 Hare/Scrambler

deek

Mac

We're scheduled to attend the Hammer & Tong. You did say it was ( I hope) Vintage?
You really want to subject Thom to the Desert 100, lol. The Desert 100 was my first ever, Desert Race. Not like MX of Grand Prix for sure. But all in all was a great experience. Wooooiiieeeee!!!! What Association will I have to join??

Dale

tomale

Deek, It is good to hear from you, I don't know if you heard but we are doing a rely race at the Hammer and Tong. It is suppose to be a four Person team all on the same make of bike. We do not need four bikes but we do need four riders. It is just for fun and wondered if your are up to it? Terry should have his scrambler ready by then and I already have the date set aside to go. Bigmac might be able to join us for the team and that would mean that we would have four.... cool. What ya think?

Bye the way I know I am overweight and we are working on that. I also know that the camera adds ten pounds but in this case it looks like it added 50, none the less I am still recovering from the hour long trial and am determined to get into much better shape. Time to knock off the sweets and start an exercise program. Elbow curls did not work very well at all. What I did not mention before is that I fell 4 times, I am convinced that if I was in better shape and lost even 20 pounds I would have done alot better and maybe just maybe I would not have been so tired and maybe I would not have fallen quite so often.. Hmmmm time to get busy!

74\\\' 1/2 440 maico
93\\\' RMx 250 suzuki
2004 Suzuki DL1000
1988 Honda Gl 1500
2009 KTM 400 XC-W

Big Mac

Deek - good to hear from you and hope the little Deek is still race prepped. I told my wife I met a man with a real nice little Deek, she said I should hang with a better crowd.

Good news is that Hammer & Tongs is definitely vintage...with some classic 60s classes and Evo classes thrown in too, not to mention 100cc class, a Relay and talk of a 1 hr GP. No sidehacks, yet. Really good news is that there is NOTHING to join and should be only $15-$20 to race and $5 for extra classes. In fact, if you tell them you're a member of somethin', they'll probably charge you more, figuring you've got some extra qwan spilling out your pockets. Keep all this low key--we don't want all those midwestern vintage guys to get wind and come out and clog up the gate for us locals.

There's no DKW relay team yet, so you may need to kickstart it, or slap a Penton sticker on the tank and jump in with me Thom and Terry (we hope) and maybe Matt Auto5guy if we can find him.

Thom-- Count me in. Per the official H&T Relay team page, I'm a certified member of the CZ team and the Pen/KTM team....even got CJ to replace the team logo he had with the old classic blue KTM. Jon
Jon McLean
Lake Grove, OR

tomale

Cool, Looking good Misture Carture (sorry terry)
The parts are mounting for terry's project. I think we are very close to having everything. next week the plan is to beadblast the frame and get it painted so that we can start assembling the ring-a-ding. I am impressed, Terry has really been working hard to get together everything he needs. He hopes to ride It Hammer & Tong, which should be hot... in more ways than one. If we can get it together soon enough so that Terry can get use to a real Sportcycle then it should be a go!

74\\\' 1/2 440 maico
93\\\' RMx 250 suzuki
2004 Suzuki DL1000
1988 Honda Gl 1500
2009 KTM 400 XC-W

deek

Mac, at first, I read it was the "Hammer & Thong". Not sure I wanted to be embarrassed, with my Little Deek, with all you Husky Fellows there.  I see "Tong" not "Thong", now. Therefore, we'll be bringing the "Big Lean Mean Green (72 6 day 125) Machine".

Thom, we're game for the Team Relay, if ya need me. Seems you did alright in the WORCS, iffin you ask me. As for me in the Desert 100, the ole Deek (or old man)was no match for the more modern machine. Would have placed better in the Classics. Took me four hours + , to cover the lap, we had to do. Most people who saw the Deek, never heard of it or thought it was a Hodaka, was insulted on the later, : ). Thom, get off the See Food Diet, just kidding.

Hopfully a bud of mine over here, will have a scooter ready, and come over with me. We'll be coming in from Kennewick, daughter and family lives there.

Keep me posted on any updates. Go Penton!!!!!

Dale

tomale

Deek, yes we need ya. and thanks for stepping up. The Northwest needs to see what a Penton can really do. The more Pentons we have there the better.

74\\\' 1/2 440 maico
93\\\' RMx 250 suzuki
2004 Suzuki DL1000
1988 Honda Gl 1500
2009 KTM 400 XC-W