how do i find parts or a manual ?

Started by kbetterly, June 17, 2004, 02:17:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kbetterly

I have a 1973 penton/ktm 250cc (ktm on the case orange tank with black stripe, orange and yellow number plates with enduro light and tailight)motorcycle that I have not had running for the past 5 years. I got caught in a rainstorm and sucked water and it would foul plugs and not run correctly. Well, I never had time to try to fix it and I cant get any info from my dad or others that had worked on it.
I have no paperwork to tell me the correct year, lost in a move, but I have had to bike for 20 years. how can i find out the specific year and possibly obtain a manual or guide for working on it.
I know it would need all new gaskets and new crankcase oil etc but I cannot find anyplace around ft wayne indiana to supply parts or work on it. I also have marconi forks on the front and fox gas shocks on the rear. can you still get gas shocks recharged?  i m sure the fork oil would have to be replaced. any information would be greatly appreciated.  

My wife says i need to make it run or get rid of it. I love the bike and I really would like to get it going again.I think ive had it to long to get rid of it

Rocket

This site can help you.  On the Home page is a listing of the Production years and also the parts suppliers.  Visit them and see what you come up with.  I believe you have at least a 76 or 77 because of the orange tank and the Marzocchi forks.
Rocket

Steve Minor

kbetterly

Wecome to Pentonia....a land from which there is no escape.

If you post the serial number (found on the steering neck) someone here can date your bike. Also, like Rocket said, you'll find parts suppliers on the home page. The first thing I suggest is that you get a manual, once you determine the year correct year. Al Buehner can hook you up with a manual.......

Again, Welcome aboard!
Steve Minor

kbetterly

hey steve and rocket thanks for the information. I looked on the production years page after finding the serial number on the frame. the number was 546  80340  and it matches the description of the bike. now all i need is to start getting the parts i will need to make it go.  i m very glad i found this site and I thank yoou for the information

tomale

welcome Kbetterly, I am sure that you thought you have found  a good thing, You have, you just do not realize just how good it is. Not only will you find parts and answers for your questions, you will also get something just as important that else that you do not even know you will need. What is it? Hope your are not in this alone. These guys really care about you getting your bike running and do not fear you will get it running. You may also find that it will not take as much as you thought to get it that way but only time will tell that for sure.  As you ask the questions you may just find that it was not as bad as thought and what you thought was unusable may just be usuable but you will never know if you do not ask.

Thom Green,I own and ride a 76 250 MC5 MX which I bought new.
Thom Green,Still crazy after all these years!
74\\\' 1/2 440 maico
70\\\' 400 maico (project)
93\\\' RMx 250 suzuki
2004 Suzuki DL1000
1988 Honda Gl 1500
2009 KTM 400 XC-W

tmc3c

Welcome Kbetterly, I have just completed a complete resto on a 1976 250GS and I owe it to these guys here in POG and just like Thom say's these guys will do everything they can do to help ! Stay with it and get that baby running right again,belive me it is worth all of the trouble!!!!!! and a word on the suppliers is that they also will go the extra mile for you too! If you have a problem with the bike just post it and it won't be a problem anymore!

Thomas Carmichael
Thomas Carmichael

1970 125 Six Day
1976 250 Hare Scrambler