1969 Number plate color ? Steel tanker

Started by t20sl, June 28, 2004, 05:06:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

t20sl

I have seen yellow or white.  Anyone know for sure the original color of the number plates?  Was enduro kit's front plate white or yellow?  125cc Six Days 1969

firstturn

Ted,
  If you are talking about the enduro number plate all the original ones I have seen have been yellow.  Someone else may have a different story, but that is what I saw in the Southwest.

Ron Carbaugh
Ron Carbaugh

Doug Wilford

Early Steel tank bikes had white  72 + had yellow   I think 74 they were Green  on the Berkshire I know for sure.

firstturn

Doug,
  The Enduro Kit Speedo/front number plates I have seen that were NOS had Yellow Plates.  The original '68 Penton I had that was a MX model had a white plate.  So I stand corrected IF the from the factory enduro models came with a white number plate[B)].

Ron Carbaugh
Ron Carbaugh

Larry Perkins

The Berkshires in 72-74 years I saw at Kasson Yamaha and Odessa Sales and Rentals had yellow numberplates as did the Six Days bikes.  The red 250 Hare Scramblers had green numberplates.  Seems to me the Steel Tank bikes I saw had white numberplates on MX models and Yellow on Enduro.  This is all from memory but perhaps what we got from Penton Central was different.

Larry

firstturn

Larry is correct on the 72 to 74 Berkshires, 125 Six Day and the JackPiners.  The '73 Harescrambler had Green plates.

Ron Carbaugh
Ron Carbaugh

Larry Perkins

The Berkshires in 72-74 years I saw at Kasson Yamaha and Odessa Sales and Rentals had yellow numberplates as did the Six Days bikes.  The red 250 Hare Scramblers had green numberplates.  Seems to me the Steel Tank bikes I saw had white numberplates on MX models and Yellow on Enduro.  This is all from memory but perhaps what we got from Penton Central was different.

Larry

firstturn

Larry is correct on the 72 to 74 Berkshires, 125 Six Day and the JackPiners.  The '73 Harescrambler had Green plates.

Ron Carbaugh
Ron Carbaugh

t20sl

The bike I am working on is a late 1969.  Anyone have a cycle magazine test with color photos showing the number plates color?  Black and white photos are not much help, as are the parts manual and shop manual. I kind of remember white on the mxers, but not sure of the enduro kits front plate.  Here in Ohio, we only had kits to install as we never saw a factory Enduro model in 1969 or 1970.

Kip Kern

You want to have more fun?  What were the colors of the "pin stripes" on all various years of side panels on the CMF bikes![:0]

firstturn

OK Kip I know you are just setting there watching the clock tick down for Mid-Ohio, like I'm not, so here goes.  I'll start it, but also lets include the striping on the steel tanks.
1972-125 had no stripping around the number plates.

Ron Carbaugh
Ron Carbaugh

Kip Kern

Ron  The "72" 125 had a white pin around a yellow #plate with green background. Next!

firstturn

Kip,
  I was waiting for this one.  I have one "72" that is original that does not have the white strip around the yellow plate.  Next!

Ron Carbaugh
Ron Carbaugh

Kip Kern

Too Cool Ron, that is the one thing I like about restoring Pentons.  You can do just about anything during restoration and be correct!  I have copies of most of the magazine articles through the years and see all kinds of different stuff on the bikes. I have seen both black and white stripes on the panels and the same on the other panels too, but never no stripe.  I guess it all depended on who was working that day!  Man I love messing with these things:D

firstturn

Kip,
  I was just having some fun waiting to leave for Mid Ohio[:o)].  I have some pictures of an old dealship showroom that has two different headlights on bikes that were picked up at Penton Central from the same shipment, or so I was told.  Have a great 4th Kip and thanks for your service to our Country.

Ron Carbaugh
Ron Carbaugh