Member Wannabe

Started by tacrac, July 02, 2004, 08:15:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tacrac

Hello All
I am new to this group but not new to the Penton heritage. I am a former owner of a 1975 Jackpiner which I regretably sold years ago.
Well here is the question. I would love to get a chance to ride a few vintage Turkey runs a year and an old riding buddy still has a 1972 125cc 6 day (Penton of course)in his posession. It has 1200- 1300 miles on it and has sat in his garage for the better part of the last 25 years. What would be a fair offer to him for the bike and what could I expect to spend to get it running again. I am not looking for a museum piece bike to ride just want the thrill of being on one of the best bikes from that era.
Thanks Tacrac

Don Roth

Tacrac,
Number one, welcome, this is one of the best resources for
info, your friend's bike sounds like a barn fresh version, if
a REAL good friend, offer him $350.00 and don't look back, I
am sure the others on this group will chime in,as far as getting
it running again, most folks clean carb and gas tank, check for
tranny fluid (many use ATF), kick it over and get ready to smile.

After sitting, common failures are the starting enricher in carb
is always on, causing flooding and loading up, crank seals dry and fail, clutch plates stick together, etc, ....

If your friend's bike ends up on ebay, who knows what it would bring, some of us are just plain nuts(myself included)  when it comes to getting that 'last piece' to complete a bike.
Good luck,
-don

tmc3c

Tacrac, Welcome !! Once Penton os in the blood it is always there and when you happen upon a old soldier it ALL comes back into focus !! At least that is how it happened to me !! If you are close to Mid-Ohio say around the week of the 18th you might want to come and check out some other Pentons then you will have the fever REAL BAD !![:p]

Thomas Carmichael
Thomas Carmichael

1970 125 Six Day
1976 250 Hare Scrambler

SCOTT CURTIS

Tacrac,

Keep in mind if the crank seals have dried out, if the motoplat has gone bad (they are 30 years old now) if it needs a new top end you are looking at at approx. $750.00 unless you can do the bottom end yourself.  There is a very nice one on EBAY now at $2,250!