(#1) 1997 KTM Jack Piner Questions

Started by ktmrider134, July 29, 2004, 09:45:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ktmrider134

I am the proud owner of the #1 of 133 1997 Jack Piner 200 and do not intend on riding it. The bike is mint and was hardly used, estimated 100 miles. Anyway I want to tear it down and clean it up and had a few questions. Should I remove all case fluids if I plan to store it? If I plan to replace the tires should I buy the same exact stock tires or S-12's? I also was wondering if anyone has a brochure for this bike. I am willing to pay for it, not even sure if they made one.

Anyway my e-mail is             [email protected]
Thanks,
Tim
North Carolina
Tim

tmc3c

Congratulations on owning the Jack Piner !! If it were me I would put stock tires back on it and keep it original! Now for the oil in the crank case,I am not sure what I would do but when the bike comes to the states I belive it is without oil but I could be wrong. You could call your local shop and confirm this. I am in S.C. and if you don't have a local KTM dealer there is Neelys Racing in Boiling Springs"Spartanburg"[864]578-6000 they have a OSSA hanging from the ceiling inside so maybe also they could be some help on preserving your bike.

Thomas Carmichael
Thomas Carmichael

1970 125 Six Day
1976 250 Hare Scrambler

generalbay

Congratulations on being the owner of #1, I own #5. They are beautiful bikes and everywhere I take mine it turns heads and draws a crowd. I've never seen a brochure but what piqued my interest in the bike originally was an article in the KTM underground magazine my local KTM dealer showed me which I do have a copy of. I have a Dirt Bike magazine where they tested the bike and another magazine where they compared it to Yamaha WR250F. As far as the tires go, I took off the original tires and I'm storing them along with the original plastic. And I replaced them with S12's. If you want I can tell you what magazine issues I have with articles on the Jackpiner and you should be able to get back issues. If you can't obtain back issues, I have a color copier that I can use to possibly make copies  of these articles for you. David Duval

Bob Gilman

Tim,I have #97 new never ridden.   Trail Rider mag. had write ups in Aug. and Sept. of 97.The e-mail for them is [email protected]  you might be able to get back issues.Also KTM gave the dealers a very nice 8x10 picture of the bike.Call around you might be able to pick one up.   Bob

ktmrider134

David,
I have tried getting these back issue's with no luck. If you make color copies I will send you money to cover postage and ink! Shoot me an e-mail if your willing to do so.

Thanks,
Tim

Tim
Tim

wildman

I like to store a engine with the crankcase filled to the tippy-top of the filler hole with whatever motor oil is cheap. That way all the gears and lower end are covered and a few turns of the kickstarter distributes the oil to the top end. I drain it out and run it in my tractor or old beater after storage.

1975 250 Cross Country, 1974 175 Jackpiner, 1975 125
1975 250 Cross Country, 1974 175 Jackpiner, 1975 125

generalbay

Hello Tim,
 I would be happy to copy what I have for you.
Let me have your mailing address and I will send them to you.
If you do not want to give your address on this forum E-mail me at
[email protected]
David Duval

generalbay

I will check with Jerry Birky at Midwest KTM to see If he can obtain
a copy of the 1997 KTM UNDERGROUND issue V7#2.
David Duval

generalbay

Good morning Tim,
 I made color copies of everything I could find.Just need you to
give me the address to send them to.I am not concerned about postage
cost,its just a few pages and a stamp.Still looking for the issue
that has the comparison between KTM EXC 200 and the Yamaha WR250F.
I have both bikes and both are great,hard to pick which one to ride
at times.I raced my Jackpiner the first year I got it in some enduros
(Upland,New Paris,Roselawn ,In.)and one hare scamble (Plymouth,In.)
I even entered it in the Moose Run ,but dropped out,I was afraid it
would get ruined.Today it just stays at my place,I have a 2 mile old style gran prix track and a few miles of wooded trails that follow the creek that splits my property.If you are ever up this way (Valparaiso,In.)stop by and we can have a friendly race and see if
#1 is faster than #5.Take care David Duval

generalbay

Good morning Tim,
 I made color copies of everything I could find.Just need you to
give me the address to send them to.I am not concerned about postage
cost,its just a few pages and a stamp.Still looking for the issue
that has the comparison between KTM EXC 200 and the Yamaha WR250F.
I have both bikes and both are great,hard to pick which one to ride
at times.I raced my Jackpiner the first year I got it in some enduros
(Upland,New Paris,Roselawn ,In.)and one hare scamble (Plymouth,In.)
I even entered it in the Moose Run ,but dropped out,I was afraid it
would get ruined.Today it just stays at my place,I have a 2 mile old style gran prix track and a few miles of wooded trails that follow the creek that splits my property.If you are ever up this way (Valparaiso,In.)stop by and we can have a friendly race and see if
#1 is faster than #5.Take care, David Duval

ktmrider134

David,
Thanks! I e-mailed my address to you this morning. I am looking forward to digging into the bike. I was close to selling it a few months ago, had a cash offer of $7000 and turned it down. Anyway I think it will just increase in value as the years pass. Thanks again for all you help.
Take care

Tim
Tim

generalbay

Tim,
 I just sent you my address by e-mail.
Will send the envelope out on monday.
David Duval

ktmrider134

Does anyone know what tires were the stock tires on this model? Also I have fork boots on mine and are not sure if they were stock? If they were not stock I am removing. Let me know,
Thanks,
Tim

Tim
Tim

generalbay

Tim,
 I bought my Jackpiner new still in the box,it came with Michelin M12s
and no fork boots. I took the M12s off and put on S12s, my bike seemed to slide out on turns with the M12s.  
David Duval