125 flywheel

Started by cward, May 26, 2001, 07:44:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cward

Hello fellow Penton owners, Im restoring a 72 125 six day. While re-assembly of engine I install ignition and flywheel and realize there are no markings on the wheel. Can some one tell me the degrees of advance timing, the distance of piston to top of barrel or the measurment form TDC mark that I can place on wheel to new mark that will allow proper advance? Any tips or tricks will be appreciated. Thanks Curtis

curtis ward
curtis ward

Doug Wilford

Curtis;
Being you are doing a 72, I assume the ignition is a moto-plat.  The timing is set by using a pin about .032 in diameter there is a hole in the flywheel and also in the internal electronics.    You have to leave the three screws loose, (not to loose) so that you can move the inner with the pin through the flywheel.   Set at 3mm BTDC then remove flywheel tighten screws, put the flywheel back on and check the setting again.
Doug

cward

Thanks Doug, but I forgot to mention it has points ignition. It is a B motor and think it origionally came with Motoplat but someone must have converted back to old point system. I prefer the points anyway, seems less costly to deal with. Anyway, my questions still stand in need of an answer. When you say 3 MM advance do you mean measuring piston to bore or do you mean on flywheel? I guess the advance would be same for points or Motoplat? Thanks, Curtis

curtis ward
curtis ward