Cycle-liner trivia

Started by swamp fox, August 17, 2004, 08:01:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeff D

OK, the answer to the Hotgrips/Rokon question is New England's Jim Hollander who also rode a Penton on the Vase B team at Dalton.  Jim took Lane Leavitt's spot after Lane turned down a Bultaco ISDT ride to concentrate on winning the US trials championship for them.  Lane's story is that Bultaco wanted him to ride a Matador and he wanted one of the prototype Frontera's that the Spanish trophy guys had.  Bultaco said no and the rest is history.
As for the photos, my guess on the Husky photo left to right is Jake Fischer, Dick Burleson, Ron Bohn and Jim Piasecki.  
How'd I do?

Jeff DeBell
Jeff DeBell

Paul Danik

Jeff,

Yep, you nailed it on both items. I just spent time with "Crazy" Jake Fischer on Friday, he just finished up a really nice Herc and is now working on restoring a Penton.

The question about a rider being a sub dealer for another of the rider's shop pertained to the fact that Jake sold Huskys and Pentons as a sub dealer for the Mel Bohn Cycle Shop in Pittsburgh. Mel Bohn was Ron's Dad.  Jake also sold Greeves out of his basement shop which was located about 15 miles south of where he is located today.

Jake's building is located along a major highway in our area, it is known by the old Jawa that is strapped to the peak of the roof.  Jake tells the story about being on vacation somewhere in the southern islands and being on a reef viewing trip.  While traveling out to the reef he asked the guy next to him where he was from and the guy told him, when asked where he was from, Jake said Butler, PA.  The guy said to Jake that he had been to Butler only one time in his life, a number of years ago, and the only thing he really remembered about the trip was going past a building with a motorcycle on it's roof...

Paul

LeeBuff

Could Bill Uhl be the BSA dirt track rider? And were Bill and his father Herb one of the father & son ISDT riders?

Lee Buffenmyer

Paul Danik

Lee,

Bill isn't the BSA rider that I am referring to, but maybe he did throw his leg over a BSA at one time. It might help in guessing the BSA rider if someone names all of the Penton riders.

Two more father and son teams to go.

You are correct about Bill and his dad Herb riding the ISDT together, they rode the ISDT together in 1969 in Germany and the 1970 ISDT in Spain, if the information that Jeff DeBell has compiled is correct:)

Paul

jeff greenberg

Paul,
I just noticed that "Doe Run" picture with Jim Piasecki in it. Way,way back when, I raced Penton's out of their Toledo shop (72-76). Loads of great memories from that shop and going to the races with Jim's brothers Jeff and Kevin!  Anyway, great picture and by the way, this is a awesome site. Brings back some great memories!
Thanks,
Jeff Greenberg

Paul Danik

Jeff,

I see that this is your first post, welcome aboard, we are really glad to have you as a member of the POG message board family.  

If you don't mind, please fill us in a little more on your riding and racing days.  There are a number of guys who frequent this message board who rode out of the Piasecki's shop, maybe you will get hooked up with a few old friends.

Again, welcome to the Group.
Paul

jeff greenberg

Thanks Paul, that was really nice!
Well, in'73 I was aboard a Berkshire. In '74 and '75 I had my "six days".
Loved those bikes!
Raced those Pentons all over Ohio. Delta, Honda Hills, Medina, Ravenna, Gallion. And of course Weidner's "Mid Ohio".
I was very good friends with the late Jon Leak back in those days. They were like family.
Other riders from Piasecki's shop that I remember:  Ron Yarkow; Doug Beasley; Jim Greenfield; Bob Taylor; Mark Tracy.
Other Penton mounted racers that I remember from those days at the races are the likes of: Bob Crosier; Joe Trettle (Pa);J. Horniek; Dane Leimbach; Rick Walsworth; Doug Kane; Doug Beam; Jon Nagy; Regg Raider. Ha, had to dig deep for some of those!

Thanks,
Jeff

Paul Danik

Jeff,

That is quite an impressive list of riders that you knew and raced against.

I have no idea what part of the country that you live in now, but if you are still in the Ohio area you might enjoy attending a Penton Owners Group meeting.  Membership is not required,  you will most likely get a chance to meet a number of guys out of your past and most times John Penton attends the meetings just to keep us straight:)

We usually meet the first Thursday of each month at the KTM headquarters in Amherst, Ohio.  This month we are meeting a week later because of New Years day being on our normal meeting day.  Our meeting is this coming Thursday, Jan 8th at 7 pm.

Our Feb. meeting is held at the Motorcycle Hall of Fame Museum in Pickerington, Ohio, we always have a special topic for this all day affair and this year the topic is the 50th anniversary of John Penton's record setting transcontinental run on a BMW. The meeting date is Saturday, February 7th.  The doors open at 9 and the meeting gets under way at 10am.

Paul

jeff greenberg

Paul, thanks for the very kind invite!  I most certainly would love to attend a POG meeting.  Problem is that I live in Scottsdale, Arizona. Ideally, I could work it into a trip at some point. It would be awesome to come to one of the Penton events.  I did do some vintage motocross out here about 12 years ago. I was riding a 250 Husky at the time.  I believe that the main guy in charge at that time was Dave Boydson.  I do miss Ohio except in the middle of the winter.   :)

Thanks,

Jeff