Spark Plug

Started by tmc3c, August 23, 2004, 04:45:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tmc3c

What plug number should I be running in my bike with the reed valve set up I got? Any Ideas? I am running a NGKb8h and no matter how hard I run the bike it still is black and wet when I pull it out. Thanks Guys

Thomas Carmichael
Thomas Carmichael

1970 125 Six Day
1976 250 Hare Scrambler

Rocket

Thomas
Your spark plug heat range is probably fine, your jetting must be rich.  What ratio are you mixing your gas and oil?  Does it smoke alot?
Rocket

OUCWBOY

TC,
I agree with Rocket. It was very hard for me not to want to mix 20:1 like the old days and it still scares me to do 40:1, but I do it and everything is fine.

Donny Smith
Donny Smith
Paragould, AR

tmc3c

I am mixing Maxima Super M 40-1, and yes I am smokin!! I belive I am jetted wrong. I set it up like Kent Knudson's bike with a 160 main jet,283 needle and a 35 pilot with a 281 jet needle with the clip in the middle. It is rich because if I rev it up like I am coming off the line it bogs and then comes on strong.This motorcycle is like buying a high performance car from somebody who has modified it, you don't know where to start. Thanks Guys !! Donny Are you feeling better today? I hope so !!

Thomas Carmichael
Thomas Carmichael

1970 125 Six Day
1976 250 Hare Scrambler

Larry Perkins

Thomas

Did you use a NEW needle jet and is your slide SMILEY FACE free?  If so and it is smoking alot I would suspect a crank seal on the clutch side.  If not replace the jet and slide.  That jetting should not be that much off.

Larry

firstturn

Thomas,
  You have the experts and they have spoken.  Rocket brings up a real live problem in that a person may look in the wrong place for help.  Next Larry brings a great solution since you and I have no idea how much time is on that carburetor.  I hope this helps because thes are excellent things to check before going any furher.

Ron Carbaugh
Ron Carbaugh

ktm96duke

another thing to check is the reed valve set up.are the reeds in good shape? not frayed at the ends? do they in fact open fully and close completely? you can run 50:1 safely with good fuel and oil even 60:1!!! i run VP red mixed 50/50 with texaco or mobil super unleaded(anything but sunoco!)then run golden spectro at 50:1.my 495 has been bored once over and has had 1 new ring in the 22 years i've had it![:p]

JP
1980-1981 all sizes

JP
1980-1981 all sizes

tmc3c

No smiley faces on the slide, Reeds are brand new Boyesen dual stage,and the motor is freshly rebuilt from Kip Kern. The needle and clip are brand new. Someone told me that my pilot jet might be to large?? And it smokes but not real bad,but bogs on the bottom.The cracked seal on the clutch side? How would I be able to check that? By inspection only ? Thanks Guys  

Thomas Carmichael
Thomas Carmichael

1970 125 Six Day
1976 250 Hare Scrambler

tmc3c

All is new except the CARB and I talked to the guys I ride with and they say that it doesn't smell like crank seal being bad. It doesn't  idle right either. If I keep going I think I might come up with obvious answer,I don't know though,could be tough:D[?][8]

Thomas Carmichael
Thomas Carmichael

1970 125 Six Day
1976 250 Hare Scrambler