Wiring 2 plugs

Started by tlanders, August 23, 2004, 11:01:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tlanders

How do you wire a motoplat coil to two spark plugs at once? Does someone make a high tension splitter wire?

Teddy

tlanders

I found the answer, Motoplat makes a two plug coil with two leads coming out of it. Now the question is, does anybody have one they would part with?

Teddy

SCOTT CURTIS

Guys running CZs or Bultacos might be able to help you find one.  I believe those bikes came stock with two plug wires.

ktm96duke

cz and bultaco guys?!?! hey stay in the network! ktm 495's had twin plug motoplat coils! got ANYTHING 79-83 to trade for one?

JP
1980-1981 all sizes

JP
1980-1981 all sizes

cardojr

The old cz's used 2 coils,each with their own lead--for desert racing, we would always leave one coil unhooked and wire it in if the first coil went down.
rob

tlanders

So I guess running on one plug doesn't affect performance that much? Or should I say, does running on two plugs improve performance a lot?

Teddy

firstturn

Teddy,
  Running on two plugs really only helps if you index the plugs properly to where each plug faces one of the transfer ports.  What I mean is if you look at a normal plug it has a open area with the face of the plug not having any interference to sending a flame or start of the firing process.  The next question is why doesn't all heads(on two strokes) have a place for 2 spark plugs.  Well you can buy plugs today that don't have any part interfering with flame propagation.  Next question is I don't run that type of plug I run the old style...........then you index the plug with spacer washers to where the open face area of the plug faces the exhaust to where you get the longest time of flame with no interference.  I will repeat that I am not an expert, but I know a lot of engines set up for Daytona and Bonneville are(in my case were) set up this way.
  For normal MX or enduro it is probabaly the last place I look for extra horsepower, but it all helps.  I hope this helps Teddy.
  Do I get my frame number now?[:p]

Ron Carbaugh
Ron Carbaugh

cardojr

Teddy-
I never really noticed any difference in performance running 1 or 2 coils on the cz--I personally feel that they ran the dual system to compensate for quality of those fine "PAL" plugs. Typically the greater performance gains and reliability are gotten from the basics such as clean transfer ports, good rings and seals, and correct jetting & timing. Any motosplat worth it's diodes should have enough
zap to send all of us to Texas (ron, get the ball glove out).The only advantage i could see is that you may get a more complete fuel  burn with 2 sparks. Does 1 coil with 2 leads mean 1/2 the spark per lead? It's 10:30 at night and your making me think. WAAAAAH!!
rob

ktm96duke

DUAL PLUG SET UPS ARE (IN THEORY) SUPPOSED TO GIVE A MORE COMPLETE EVEN BURN ACROSS A LARGER PISTON SURFACE-THAT'S WHY THEY ARE GENERALLY USED ONLY ON AN OPEN CLASSER. THE FRACTION OF A SECOND THE FLAME IS LIT-IS ENHANCED WHEN YOU LIGHT AT BOTH ENDS WITH THE FLAMES COMING TOWARDS EACH OTHER.DOES IT WORK? I DON'T KNOW,MAYBE IT HELPS WITH PREVENTING "PINGING" AS WELL.

JP
1980-1981 all sizes

JP
1980-1981 all sizes