New 125 6B rod kits

Started by Marc Biro, September 03, 2004, 11:49:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Marc Biro

Lew,

I am also looking forward to finding out how how the kit works on the 5A motor. I have installed my kit on a 5A (aluminum rod)crank and found that pin/brng/thrust washers fit fine. Width of crank assembly remained the same, as well as lower brmg to thrust washer tolerance which is .018 or .457mm. Now I just need to put it in a chassis and run it!

Marc Biro

wildman

I want to be perfectly clear on this: this rod kit fits KTM 175s as well? Or does it fit Sachs 175? $110.00 with top pin and bearing is a super deal and I need a Jackpiner rod kit. Thanks Dan Pagel

1975 250 Cross Country, 1974 175 Jackpiner, 1975 125
1975 250 Cross Country, 1974 175 Jackpiner, 1975 125

Marc Biro

Dan,

I do not know if it will in fact fit the 175 Jackpiner. maybe somone out there can enlighten us both? I have been told yes, but not sure as I have been a SACHS 100/125 guy for many years. I will however be cracking open a Jackpiner motor I've had sitting around for some time now. As soon as I get to it, I will have an answer for you.

Thanks

Marc

john durrill

Marc,
 Was the NOS rod you weighed knife edged or an I beam? Most B rods I have seen were the I beam style. I have a knife edge A rod I can weigh for comparison.

Dan,
  We did some comparisons back 3 years ago and it looked to us like the rod and pin for the 175 Piner KTM were the same as a B engine Sachs. The difference in the rod kits were the 2 bronze thrust washers. The 175 Kit used 2 thin washers about .025 in thickness , the 125 B Sachs Kits had 2 bronze thrust washers about .053 in thickness.
 Euro Rod confirmed this and was at one time trying to find the thin thrust washers so they could offer a 175 rod kit.
John D.

Marc Biro

John,

The 6B rod I used when comparing weights was the knife style. I have yet to see an I beam style rod in a 6B motor, and did not even realize they where used in the 6B motor. I have rebuilt quite a few of them, only to find the knife style. I am assuming the I beam style rod is found in the later production 6B motors?

Marc

john durrill

Marc,
 I dont know when the I beam rods came in. All the B engines we got as parts donors in the last 2 years were I beam rods. Doug might know when the I beams came in.
 I can  press a bad crank apart and weigh the NOS I beam in the next few weeks. We have another Hurricane about to pass this way tomorrow.
Thats 4 this year so far . Man will I be gald when it's November!!!!!!
 chuckle chuckle.
John D.