My Son Penton

Started by The Webbers, September 06, 2004, 10:24:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Webbers

This is my first posting on the Penton owners group. I have been here before and just been a lurker.
Here is a little story about myself, I have been around motorcycles all my life . I have had many during my life and currently have 8 running motorcycles .
In my late teens I was getting serious with my girlfriend and was going to the extreme of thinking about someday having children. One night while thinking in my college dorm room I started thinking about names for a boy if we were ever lucky enough to have a son. It didn't take but 2 minutes to make my decision on what to name him as I always had a love for motorcycles and Pentons. Then my wife and I got married in the fall of 1992 . A couple years later my wife and I were pregnant with our first child , it was a girl so we named her Brittany. On September 22nd 1997 we had our second child which was a boy and we named him Penton Jared Webber.

**** 7 Years Later****

I am walking around the Davenport Iowa Antique motorcycle swap meet and meet up with this guy polishing up his Penton . I talk with him a moment and compliment him on his bike. He tells me there is a display a couple of rows over that I would be interested in. About an hour later I see him pushing his bike up to the display and follow him right up. I tell him my story about my son and he says " Come over here, I have someone you need to meet . " I get introduced to John and can't beleive what is going on. I tell John the story and it makes my year as matter of fact a heck of lot longer than that :) .
I spend about the next couple of hours talking Penton history with all of the nice members around the display. Heck of a bunch of nice guys might I add !
I ended up getting a signed tee shirt,Book,sticker and brochure from John  . I couldn't wait to get them home to my son, only wishing he could have been there to meet John.
I get home and tell my son that I have a surprise for him and he will not believe who I met. He can't guess so, I finally let the cat out of the bag . His eyes light up and he thought I was kiddin him. Then he looked at the shirt,stickers and then started looking through the book. His favorite picture is on pg. 55 where John is going through the mud hole back in 69' .

Yesterday we took some pics of my son with his autographed items. He has his semi serious race face on and ready for competition. :D

wildman

What a nice story! John Penton must be very proud of the effect he's had on so many people. With a namesake like that, your kid's going to be a fast rider. Thanks for sharing. Dan Pagel

1975 250 Cross Country, 1974 175 Jackpiner, 1975 125
1975 250 Cross Country, 1974 175 Jackpiner, 1975 125

firstturn

What a story.  I hope you Honor the people that love Pentons (Penton Owners Group)and join.  We are always looking to help the younger people in restoring and/or just generally understanding the Penton mystic.  I hope your son does a book report on John's book.  
  Thank you for a great story.
Respectfully,

Ron Carbaugh
Ron Carbaugh

vmx1963

Great post Webbers!  Left me with a big smile! :)

Welcome and keep us informed on young Penton's racing.

VMX1963
Western Australia
//www.vmxktm.net

Bill Smith

I thought everyone would like to see two individuals who both created Pentons. :)

John Penton on the left and Duane Webber on the right, father of Penton Jared Webber.

Bill

The Webbers

Bill,
Very creative writing :) , nice meeting you . I sure had a great time and will remember it forever. I just got my new American Motorcyclist and there is coverage of vintage days in it. I just quickly looked through it but will read the article as soon as possible. It looks like a great time and maybe I will see you guys there next year.
Duane