Hospital Stop- Ted del Solar

Started by firstturn, September 07, 2004, 10:18:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

firstturn

Our great Member Ted del Solar will be out of action for a while.  He went up riding in Michigan this past Monday and took a bad spill at mile 40.  He ended up with a broken collar bone and one rib.  Ted reports that his ridding buddies took great care of hime he will be careful next time;).
  For those of you who are not familiar with Ted and his wife Connie you are missing knowing some of the greatest people and wonderful friends to the POG.  Oh, by the way Ted is just 76 years old.  His riding accomplishments are unbelievable even for a Texan.
  Ted get well and I think you are 4th in National standings.

Ron Carbaugh
Ron Carbaugh

Paul Danik

Ted,

Sorry to hear of your spill.  You are in good hands with nurse/gas runner/POG display worker/ all around great gal Connie. Please keep us informed as to your progress.

Paul

tomale

Ted, Sorry to here of your spill, you are my hero. I want to be able to still ride fast at 75, that would be really cool. We will keep you in our prayers for a quick recovery. As I am sure you know.. the older we get the slower we heal and the more it seems to hurt.
Take care, keep us posted. I hope I will get to meet you at the reunion ride. I mailed off my entry last week and Mac and I are making plans. Should be fun to meet everyone.

Thom Green,Still crazy after all these years!
76' 250 MC5 (orginal owner)
78' 400 MC5
Thom Green,Still crazy after all these years!
74\\\' 1/2 440 maico
70\\\' 400 maico (project)
93\\\' RMx 250 suzuki
2004 Suzuki DL1000
1988 Honda Gl 1500
2009 KTM 400 XC-W

OhioTed

Ted,  Hope you are feeling better and get well soon.  Crashes are no fun, nor are injuries.  However, I think we've all accepted the periodic "ouch" time that comes along with our sport - and consider the potential hazards justifiable in light of the much more frequent rewards.   TED

Lew Mayer

Ted, hope you feel better and heal up soon.

Lew Mayer
Lew Mayer

tlanders

Dear Ted and Connie,

You guys are great. A great example of a loving couple and a successful marriage. If only the rest of the world could pattern their relationships after yours.

You really helped Rosemary and me when we went to the Jack Pine on the steel tanker in the year 2000, our first enduro in 29 years!!!! It's amazing how much one forgets. Needless to say, we are sorry to hear about your "get off" and you know we will be praying for your speedy recovery. We hope you will be able to make it to the reunion ride.

May God bless your healing,

Teddy and Rosemary

Doug Wilford

If there was a way to visualize your "Get Off".   I know the patented Ted smile was still visable, broken bones and all.   I imagine the true Ted picking him self up, momentarilly cursing (Dang)the situation then saying something like: "Darn, now how am I going to ride this thing outof here".  
 We will miss you at the POG meeting tonight, our thoughts and prayers are for a speedy and full recovery.
We love you both, take care and listen to your wonderful wife (for a change)  [8)]

Paul Danik

I just got off the phone with Ted, he and Connie were heading out the door when they heard the phone ring.  Guess where they are headed, the POG meeting in Amherst, talk about being a tough guy!!!  

Iron Man Ted, a very fitting name if I don't say so myself!!!  

Paul

Doug Wilford

Yep "Iron Man Ted" and Connie were at the meeting.   I knew he was tough but after his get off, he did ride himself back to Help.  If I remember right he said about 10 miles.   Ouch! with a broken collar bone and rib.   "Mr. Titanium" for sure.  The man matches the machine.  WOW!

Young Ted

/black]
Me and my new Penton with the magic button,
Were on a wide gravel road just a cuttin.
At forty to forty five,
There was an abrupt reverse jibe.

A partially buried log I did not see,
So rather soon it was wheeeeeeee.
Thirty feet later Inca lay running,
At another ten feet I tried recovering.

We were 40 miles from the starting point,
But only 11 from the gas station joint.
So the decision was easy to make,
To head for our intended noon break.

By this time,
What to do next was not mine.
My companions and freinds saved the day,
For me to do much it was - no way.

We made the meeting Ok and had the usual laughs. Doug was so busy swinging, we arrived before he did. Got home at 4 AM, after an hour delay due to night road construction. I drove each end of the trip, so Connie could do the easier part on the toll roads. Driving is easy, I got back from Michigan in 3.5 hours with only one stop on Tuesday. This afternoon I managed to cut the back yard on the tractor. My goal is the Reunion Ride - which will be reached.
Thanks to all of you, for this is what is fuel for the engine of life. Just another case of Penton being family.
Young Ted

OhioTed

Along with my lovely wife, "Reb", I had the pleasure of attending this last Thursday night's POG meeting.  In addition to the always-gracious hospitality shown to us by the POG officers and other members, I had the great honor of signing Mr. Penton's 79th birthday "card" - a huge KTM banner, which already contained the signatures of many, many KTM dealers.  Thanks, Jack.  However, even that experience was overshadowed by the presence of a person who has come to exemplify, to me, the spirit of POG in general, and those individuals in particular to whom I refer to as the "Original Penton Gang".  That person is Young Ted.  Now check this out, guys:  At age 73 (hope I'm right on that, Ted & Connie), Ted got up from a big-time bail, rode the bike out, accepted his lumps, and just a few days later, DROVE himself and his wonderful wife to the POG meeting (no short drive, either), drove home the same night(!), and now is already out cuttin' grass and expressing intentions to make the reunion ride.  In addition, the man has also drafted a poem to describe his experience, AND at the meeting - all busted up, he stood up to tell us humorous riding stories AND admonished the rest of us for not riding more!!!  Ted, I don't use the term "hero" to describe very many persons, but sir, to me, you have definitely earned that distinction.  Wishing you a fast recovery and many more years of riding - and of writing poetry.  You are truely a special individual.  (And Connie is a sweet, sweet lady)  Ted G.

Young Ted

Ohio Ted - Thanks for the accolades. Ron has the correct age at the beginning - 76. Not to detract from your kind words Ted, but I feel obligated to put in my side of the word hero. The word has been used very loose for some years now. Many times applied to just an act. I'm from the old school, and to me you are not a hero until you put your own life on the line in the course of directly trying to save that of another human being. Should this offend anyone in any way, make your decision and do whatever you feel is right, for I have just done so.
     My riding gear is packed and ready for Tulsa. Davie needs a few minor items taken care of after covering both Pine Cone and Jack Pine last month. Today I received a very specially made card that I'll describe by saying - some people sure know how to make a juvenile cry. Good thing I was working with latex paint at the time.

Just a Penton rider,
Young Ted

firstturn

Ted,
  I call you TP. ****TOTAL PACKAGE****    I agree with you on the use of Hero, but Ohio Ted called it the way he sees it.[^]

Ron Carbaugh
Ron Carbaugh

Rocket

Ted
Glad to hear you're doing okay.  Your crash wasn't anything to do with a warranty problem, was it??
Rod

Lew Mayer

Ted,
maybe you're not a hero, but you are an Iron-man.Good enough for me. Thanks for the example.

Lew Mayer
Lew Mayer