new 77 GS6 owner with a few questions?!?

Started by quiggs00, October 01, 2004, 10:50:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

quiggs00

hey folks just bought a 77 gs6 400 just got a few questions concerning work and maintnenance it needs first: what is the fuel mix it takes? also how much gear oil does it hold and how do i know what full is? and finaly is there anyplace i can buy generic orange plastic front and rear fenders for it with out spending too much money? any insight would be great thanks!!

Rocket

quiggs00,
Welcome to the site, great bunch of people with a lot of info, sometimes it's even useful!!
I run 40:1 gas and oil.  On the left side of the motor, behind the kicker/shifter area is a plug that can be removed to check the level of oil.  I believe a quart is pretty close to enough.  I have a set of orange Preston Petty fenders, used but in good condition, that I would sell.  The rear has the built in taillight.
Rocket

farmer58za

Welcome
please post your fax number and I can fax you a two page leaflet with the basic info.
Engine takes 1 Qt (1.2l) oil - ATF. The level plug is at 7oclock just below the kickstart shaft.
I'd use 20:1 or 25:1 on Premix

Regards

David
'75 KTM GS175
'75 KTM GS250
'75 KTM GS400
Regards

David

pketchum

I would agree with David from SA regarding the tranny oil but politely disagree with running 20-25:1 fuel/oil mixture.  Modern day oils are much better than in days gone by.  I've been running 40:1 in all of my race bikes with great success.  A well known Canadian off-road champion runs Optima oil at 100:1 in his Sachs 250 GP with much success.  Just ask Helmut aka "Speedy" Clasen.  Be prepared to learn though as he will extoll you with the virtues of Opti-2 at length as he's a FIRM believer.

Phil
(who's bought Opti-2 but hasn't mixed it yet)
Phast Phil
Moderator, Hodaka Owners Group
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Hodaka

Steve Minor

Welcome aboard quiggs00.....Always good to meet a new friend.

I have a 77 400gs6 too.....bought it brand new 5/77 and have hauled it around the country ever since. You have a great bike there but use caution....it's a beast! First thing to do, if you haven't already, is get a manual. Call Al Buehner at 216-651-6559...he'll fix up up with a manual and various parts.

You'll find many different opinions and discussions here at POG. Premix ratios and types and transmission oil are just two of them. Personally I use Castor 927 oil, mixed 40:1 and I personally use AFT (automatic transmission fluid)in the motor, changing often. As far as the orange fenders you're looking for, if that's what you want I say do it....but your bike came stock with white fenders along with the orange tank and side panels. I'd be glad to email you some pictures of mine if you'd like.

Have fun and welcome to Pentonia....a land from which there is no escape!

Steve
Steve Minor