kick starting a bike that hasnt run since '91

Started by quiggs00, October 02, 2004, 06:19:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

quiggs00

well ok thanks for the help with the fuels questions. now heres the next one: so this bike hasnt run in a long time but it is in great condition so i have no reason for it to have any problems but i was pretty sure i wasn't going to be able to kick it over first time probably gonnna have to role start is since it seems to be a high compression 400cc.  But when i do kick it something strange seems to be happening.  instead of the classic thump thump thump thump and the kick starter goes down there will be nothing except smooth, hard, even pressure for a couple pumps.  Then it will finally give a couple thumps and go back to the hard even pressure.  I took the exhaust off to feel the cylinder as i was pushing down the starter and it was not moving at all while the strange smooth hard even pressure was occuring.  Then when the normally thumping would occur it would move a bit. And no the kick starter isnt stripped and not catching.  Also i pulled the motor out when i painted the frame so i took the head off.  when it was off i pushed the cylinder up and down a little just to inspect the walls could i have gotten something out of alignment? thanks in advance! i hope this makes sense!

t20sl

Sounds like you are describing the clutch slipping. Old transmission fluid might be causing clutch to slip.  Have you changed the trans fluid yet?  Even after you do it may still slip until you can get it running and get new fluid between the clutches.

quiggs00

hey i got it running and its sounds good there is lots of engine noise do those ktm 400cc motors make a lot of knocking?

Rain Man

Quiggs, you could be hearing the porcupine head, there real noisy and take awhile to get use to.  
   Also my 400 is a real bear to start, I weigh 180lbs and It just stops my kicks cold, sometimes.  I'd take a look at the plug for any discrepancies and see how the motor rolls over without the plug in it.

Raymond
 Down East Pentons
Raymond
 Down East Pentons

pketchum

I'm pretty new to the KTM's too, and when riding my friends vintage KTM's the first thing I noticed as the noise as compared to my other vintage bikes.  Especially just as you kill them and things get a little quieter.  As the engine strokes it last few times, it's almost eerie, it's like you can hear the piston stroking up/down and it's about to blow up because of a lack of lubrication.  Apparently that's normal for these things.  My '79 250 MC is a lot quieter but the engine noise is still there.

I'd have to agree that the clutch may be the source of your problems.  Things sound like they've gummed up a bit.  Changing the oil a time or two may loosen things up.

Phil
Phast Phil
Moderator, Hodaka Owners Group
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Hodaka