Rarest KTM

Started by ktmlifer, October 07, 2004, 12:42:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

alandspeed

Wasn't JP a husky distributor when the first Pentons (and even into the 70's) came out.  I am just going by a conversation at the Blue Ribbon Breakfast two years ago in Indy we had with him.  He knew they wouldn't like the idea.  I do not know the history like alot of the POG members.  I met John and have been getting pulled in ever since. Thanks for a place to study.[8)]

bkinnon

Just my two cents on the original topic... In my mind the bike that is most rare, unobtainable, and can't be duplicated is the early '73 Jackpiner that I bought as a kid and still have :)
Bill
Downeast Pentons- Central Division

firstturn

Bill,
  Well stated.  I am still hunting for my favorite bike of all time, a 1973 Berkshire with a number plate 8c on it.  Unfortunitely it  had so many exotic changes to the engine, frame etc. it probably stopped running at some point and couldn't be repaired to run correctly, by the shop manual, and got discarded.  Sorry just dreaming[:p].

Ron Carbaugh
Ron Carbaugh

TGTech

I got some preliminary information back from my "big brother Franz" at KTM today, and the news is both good and bad. The bad news is that apparently, many of the machines that went to Italy after KTM's bankruptcy, didn't make the return trip when KTM bought out the Italian distributor. The good news is, that the managing director of the distributorship, probably knows more about the operations and life of KTM, than any other living Austrian. Yes, I said Austrian, because he is from Mattighofen, where KTM is located. He has relatives that are from Northern Italy, and consequently, he speaks fluent Italian. He is also a good friend of Arnaldo Farioli and his sons, who were involved in the "purchase" of KTM's museum. More when I know about it.

Dane

crash carden

Hello,:D one of my favorite Penton models is the 1973 250 Harescrambler with the black motor and yellow gold gas tank and side panels,in enduro trim,with the long fish tail stove pipe exhaust. Anyone know how maney of this style were produced?  According to the production code Penton only made that color tank and the black full sidecase motor from its June 73 introduction to the fall model change. So I am guessing this style of 1973 Harescrmbler should be a rare peice? No wonder I like mine so well;)Crash Carden- Go Team Penton!

OhioTed

Could anyone with a better memory than I, provide reference to the
Hiro(sp)-engined Penton(s)?  At Penton Day '04, I saw photos of the bike and had not a clue.  It may have been Kip Kern that day who provided me some info on the bike, but I cannot get my tired brain to now bring forth additional details.  Are these bikes rare?  Maybe there's just the one?  Surely you fellows could expound upon this one.  TED

firstturn

Ted,
  You can just click on this link.

http://www.pentonusa.org/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=4503&SearchTerms=hiro

All you have to do in the future is to follow the instuctions on search information box that is just under wanted/for sale.  Simple instructions is just to click on search(upper right hand corner).  Type in what you want to see and presto.

Ron Carbaugh
Ron Carbaugh

OhioTed

Thanks, Ron.  Danged if it didn't acually work!  Not much in there about what a Hiro is, though, or how rare.  TED

TGTech

Ted,

I believe that there were less than 20 of the 125 Hiro Pentons made, and they were made here in Ohio. We actually took the standard 125 with the Sachs engine, removed them and adapted the frames and pipes to the Hiro engines. The model that was at VMD, is the first one I've seen since they were made, and is an excellent example of what they were.

The impetus for the project, was to try and get KTM off their rear ends, and build their own 125. It worked, sort of, because KTM did make a 125 version of their engine, but unfortunately, it was way too heavy, having been based on the 175 bottom end, which in turn was based on the 250 engine. You couldn't break it, but the extra weight, did nothing to make it competitive in motocross.

Dane

OhioTed

Cool beans!  What a fascinating addition to the overall Penton story.
We need an article on the Hiros in the newsletter.  How 'bout it, Dane?  You seem to know your way around the subject.  Also, sure would be nice to know where the bikes are now.  Wonder when the "Bike Registry" portion of the site is going to be up and running?  The more I find out about all that took place during the "Penton years", the more I realize I didn't know.  Thanks, guys.  TED

TGTech

Ted,

If you check out this link and the related information, I think you will be able to fill in some of the blanks on the Hiro engined Pentons.

Dane

http://www.pentonusa.org/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=4503&SearchTerms=Hiro

jdsenduro

Quotequote:Originally posted by ktmlifer

Hi All,
I'd like to know what is the MUST have rare KTM/Penton that is still possible to acquire. I have a contact who's a huge rare dirtbike collector/restorer, so $$$ is no object.

Simply put, what important bike would you want in your collection?

Thanks, EJ
OLD S'CooL Restorations:)

jds
jds

jdsenduro

I've got a '97 Jackpiner (Blue with 72-style graphics) along with ALL the stuff that came with it including a complete new set of graphics from the original maker.  FYI there were officially 133 of the blue ones produced as 1997-1/2 models.  Mine is No. 83.  MIght be willing to sell it for the right price.....
Quotequote:Originally posted by ktmlifer

Hi All,
I'd like to know what is the MUST have rare KTM/Penton that is still possible to acquire. I have a contact who's a huge rare dirtbike collector/restorer, so $$$ is no object.

Simply put, what important bike would you want in your collection?

Thanks, EJ
OLD S'CooL Restorations:)

jds
jds

jdsenduro

The certificate with mine says No. 83 of 133 - so I'm with you on this.
Quotequote:Originally posted by generalbay

Paul, The subject at hand here is rare and to me that means few and far between. I own a Anniversary LE 1997 Jackpiner 200 with a certificate of authenticity that states mine is "model production number 5 of 133" that is signed by Rodney D. Bush and John Penton. If we are to go by the information you just submitted with regards to Rod Bush then my bike isn't as rare as I thought it was and my certificate is no good. The figures that are being qouted here need to be accurate because a lot of people come here to get the most accurate information possible. When information is inaccurate the people giving it lose their creditibility. Those of us who do own these bikes don't want people thinking that there are 400(Larry) or 200(Paul) or worst case "nobody knows for sure" when they see one of these beautiful bikes I would rather they knew that they are looking at 1 of 133 produced. I'm not out to upset anyone, I'm just trying to help further the POG goals one of which is "If the Penton motorcycle is to achieve true classic status among the other great legendary brands, enthusiasm for ownership and understanding of the Penton legacy must continue beyond the lives of the founders and current members of the Penton Owners Group". This qoute can be found under Penton future projects. Hope this information helps anyone or everyone. Dave Duval

jds
jds

OUCWBOY

What would the right price be?

Donny Smith
Donny Smith
Paragould, AR