yet another motoplat question

Started by mike carr, October 10, 2004, 12:38:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mike carr

I just dug out a 72 125 sixday i came across a couple of years ago to see what it might need, and found no spark i got to looking at the coil and seen it was not the red coil i thought it would be,it was a cream color, so i had a motoplat coil around, put it in and had spark, not as bright as i thought it should be but it was a start.
I took off the stator and found that the black and the blue wires where they exit the stator the insulation was cracked and bare where the to wires could be in contact with one another, the wires are bare flush where they come out of the stator, so i am limited on what i can do. does anybody have any suggestions on what i could use to protect the to wires from touching each other, my first thought was maybe a carefully placed drop or two of hot glue but i do not know what temperture it would be subject to, so i am noy sure if that would work.
Somebody had already tryed to prtect it with tape but it was coming off the tape did noy look melted.
Also does anybody no what coil was supposed to be on that machine?
I did check to make sure that that all grounds where good, thanks,mike carr oly. wash.
By the way if any of you are in need of some volcanic ash, the way things are looking i will probably have a couple of truck loads i could send you in a couple of days from mt. saint helens i live about 40 miles from her and it looks like shes not happy again!

Don Roth

Mike,
There is some stuff called 'heat shrink tubing' that should
insulate the wires for you, basically a plastic that shrinks
when heated, should be able to purchase @ hardware or our fine
friends of Tandy (Radio Shack) It comes in different diameters,
the nice thing is you can slide it to where it is needed and then
heat with a match or heat gun, shrinks up nice and tight. 3M makes
as well as others, an electronic repair shop may have some they
would sell you, also popular in auto radio installations.I don't
kow how well ash would insulate, willing to bet not well, hope this
helps,
-don

firstturn

Mike,
  Just to piggy back on Don's suggestion of using shrink tubing you can cut a slit in the tubing to slip it around the wire and position the slit away from the other wire and then put heat to it in the form of a hair drier or Mount St. Helens......your choice.  Seriously I hope all comes out OK with the St. Helens subject.

Ron Carbaugh
Ron Carbaugh

mike carr

Thank you don and thank you ron, i am heading off to radio shack this morning, it just proves that this group provides a wealth of information, i was afraid that if nothing would hold i would be looking for another system.

herman

Mike  3mm makes a liquid rubber coating that will seal the wire perfit the automotive store will have it. Good luck. Herm

Herm
Herm

Tony Price

My recommendation is to go with a PVL if you don't need lights, or the recently discovered MzB 12 Volt system if you do.

You can then sacrifice the dreaded MotoSplat in some terrribly politically incorrect Pagan ritual worthy of it's unholiness.

Then again, that's just my opinion![:p]

Tony
Tony

charlotte

Hi Mike,
Did you get your leads sorted out I rewind and referish motoplat ignitions and putting new leads on your stator is not a problem

Regards
             Steve.