Sachs Motors

Started by classof74, October 22, 2004, 06:15:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

classof74

Anyone know the differences between a standard MX Sachs engine vs. a GS Sachs engine. There must be some differences since they stamp - GS on the engine tag. Any help is appreciated....Mark

tmc3c

Mark, I am just guessing but I would think it would be in the gearing. You might want to touch base with Doug Wilford, he is the expert.

Thomas Carmichael
Thomas Carmichael

1970 125 Six Day
1976 250 Hare Scrambler

OUCWBOY

Mark,
Most of the Sachs masters are in Tulsa at the reunion ride this weekend. I will share with you what I know. I have learned that the GS used different cases. Different cylinder, head and piston. Different carb and used the "locking" type shift selector assy. Gearing is the same.
I'm sure that maybe Doug or Dwight or Ron might have more input when they return. There are differnet Sachs part numbers for these items. Additionally, the GS PRO uses different cylinder and head, but these don't have a "Sachs" part number assigned to them, only a "Monark" part number, which makes me think Monark did extensive mods to them. Funny thing is the piston is the same between the GS and the GS Pro

Donny Smith
Donny Smith
Paragould, AR

tmc3c

Learn something everyday:D

Thomas Carmichael
Thomas Carmichael

1970 125 Six Day
1976 250 Hare Scrambler

bildough

I have 3 b engines, 2 GS engines and 1 GS Pro engine. Vintage Monark website has a good page explaining the difference between the standard engine and the GS. My GS Pro came with a stuffed crank also which is a shock to see for the first time. Shifting mechanism is much improved on the GS and GS pro model. larger carburetor and the cyliner is ported to the Nth degree and the head has been milled. The dome is also worked on. I own a Mark Biro built Mettco replica which is very fast but it is slow compared to the GS and not even competitive against the GS Pro.
Bill Cappel