Puch Progress

Started by Bill Quaccia, November 06, 2004, 08:25:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bill Quaccia

Profound progress is proceeding on my Puch project.  A parts book purchase ( and a flywheel puller) has prodded me to pull the entire Puch to pieces for painting.  
Is that enough alliteration?

I haven't ridden a two stroke since 1972, a brief motocross adventure with the US Army in Germany on a CZ 360 twin pipe,  I convinced the sergeant-major that German-American relations would be furthered by participating in that sport.  Seeing as the top kick was already promoting other sports he investigated and found Motocross to be very popular in the Frankfurt area and agreed to field a team from our unit.  I worked in a Frankfurt bike shop off duty that sold CZ so that;s what I rode, a bitza-bike made up of things laying around the back shop.

Thanks to this forum for helping me with this bike:1973? Puch 175cc Enduro?

(still don't know exactly what model it is that I'm working on)

Bill Q
Kodiak, Alaska

Steve Minor

Welcome to POG....Our own Dwight Rudder (along with others here) is very versed on Puchs ...He monitors this site and I'm sure he will be of great help...

Steve
Steve Minor

Doug Wilford

Bill:
Welcome aboard.    If your Puch has a down exhaust pipe it is an enduro model if it has the Higher side pipe it is either a cross-country or moto-cross  model.   Sounds like something to keep you busy and out of the cold during the dark hours.   Good luck and have fun.

Bill Quaccia

I'm unsure about what MODEL Puch I have.  Engine & frame #'s are the same: 3802328.  Piston is std 62mm ELKO. Carb is Bing 32mm.  Heavy canvas shrouding around the airbox. No head or tail light present.
Exhaust is an up-pipe with chrome "pickle" silencer on the leftside that looks as pictured in the 4/72 parts book.
Forks are Betor and shocks are Girling (yellow/yellow/yellow Springs)
Tank is  red plastic with twin white racing stripes running front-to-back on top.  Has a decal "Puch Racing Team"
Fenders are chromed steel painted yellow underneath.  Chrome is very bad so no fender decals are present.
Rims are steel and (bad)chrome has peeled off in huge strips.  Look like Radelli rims but rust prevents identification.
Tires are Metzler knobbies and look like they have done very few miles.  Probably the same tires that it was sold with.
Footpegs are non-adjustable and brake pedal goes under the right footpeg.
Former Puch dealer from NY state, Dave Hull, thinks it is a "HS" model produced from late 1973 on.

Anybody have a clue as to which model this is?

Doug Wilford

You have a 5-gang Moto-cross 175cc

Bill Quaccia

Thank you, Doug.  I'll be using the lighting coils to get this bike street legal in Alaska.

Bill Q

Bill Quaccia

Hello all

I'm reviving this Puch Project that has lain dormant for a few years.  Previous posts describe the bike. I plan to register it in Alaska as street legal.  Matt Quick at Motor West in Milwaukee has the parts now I need to supply the elbow grease.
I saw a trio of beautifully restored Puchs at a swapmeet/vintage race in Carson City, Nevada.  Didn't get to meet the owner but they were very inspirational to me.

Bill Quaccia

rd400pi

Bill,
  Glad to see the desire rekindled.  I can relate to the inability to "knock out" a project quickly.  Post some pics someday.  Cheers.

Mike H.
  Tulsa POG