Carb Slide

Started by tmc3c, November 14, 2004, 03:10:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

john durrill

Tom,
 Its dead center, in the middle of the bottom of the
 slide  on the side closest to the engine. You can see 1 or 2 small holes just in front of  where the notch should go in the the bottom of the carb bore on the engine side.
John D.

tmc3c

Thanks John !!

Thomas Carmichael
Thomas Carmichael

1970 125 Six Day
1976 250 Hare Scrambler

firstturn

John,
  I have had several people email me on this post and there seems to be some confusion(whatelse is new?).  John D. You say on your post 11/17/04 that the notch should be cut on the slide on the  side closest to the engine.  Since i have never seen the Bulletin and have always taken and trimed the slide on the airbox side please expalins so that there is not a misunderstanding.  Thanks from people that will remain anonomous and besides I may learn a new trick....[:p].

Ron Carbaugh
Ron Carbaugh

john durrill

Ron,
 Its a notch cut in the slide to improve metering at idle and just above. Its a trick that works good on some engines. Changeing the slide cutaway would help more at slightly greater throttle opening.
 I have watched Team Germany ( Speedy and crew) modify slides for Zundapps and 2 of the last type 54's I have rebuilt had slides with notches cut in them. I posted the 2 files in the Library but one is a bit fuzzy. Speedy will send us a clearer one when he can play with his scanner next. Your listed on the members list for the library so you could download the files and print them. It would help more to see the info. If you can give me a call and i can explain it better.  
 Trying to put everything down on paper is hard for guys like me that were dragged kicking and screaming into the computer age [:p]
 Speedy is a wealth of information folks. He has been involved in a lot of ISDT/E events and worked with factory teams for many years.
 Ron we are working on a machine that will scan yours and Speedys brain. It will give us a listing and print all the things that you guys have learned over the years about setup on bikes ;) .
 Now that would be one library the Group could use into the next century :D chuckle chuckle!!!!!!!
 John D.

firstturn

JOHN,
Scan Doug Wilford's brain.  Where do you think all this information started from.  Doug was and still is the GO TO GUY.  Doug is going to give me something a lot worse than a time out for what I said.  But the truth is the truth.  Per

Ron Carbaugh
Ron Carbaugh

firstturn

John,
  I will be happ to go to the library, but what side of the slide is the notch cut for the bulletin that went out?  Thanks...maybe I am not explaining what I want to know?

Ron Carbaugh
Ron Carbaugh

john durrill

Ron ,
 Doug watches the board a lot an always pops in with help when its asked for and chuckle chuckle when we are off course bent on a destructive tangent [8D]. Doug is the first guy I would ask when one of my ( well this seems like a good idea) comes to me. You know the kind you have when you first start to wake up but are not really conscious yet. :D Several times he has kept me out of trouble with my motor.
 On that note, have you worked out the port timing on the 100 with the military crank yet? [}:)]
 John D.

john durrill

Ron, we must be on the board typing at the same time LOL.
 Its the side oposite from the cutaway. The flat bottom edge that would cut all the air off to the engine if the side were all the way down in the bore. The page with the 24-27 mm bing info has a good picture of the placement. I can send it e-mail its a very small file. want it now?
JOhn D.

firstturn

John,
  Yes please send it.  I understand what happens when you cut away the slide.  So to help everyone understand the engine side of the slide is what this post is addressing...Correct?  People are emailing me for an explaination and I haven't really been paying attention to the back and forth on this particular post.

Ron Carbaugh
Ron Carbaugh

john durrill

Ron ,
 It should be in your mailbox now. It works best with a NOS bottle installed. One that looks like Pauls spare shock body on his Dalton bike. :D

john durrill

Yes it is the engine side of the slide that gets the notch Ron all jesting aside.
JOhn D.

firstturn

John,
  Actually Paul is going to be MAD at YOU for this information spilling out on the site.  I hope you are in good standing i.e. dues are paid and friendly to Doug.[:o)]
  I got the drawing and will try this on a carb as soon as I have time.  I think I had only used that on small carb???  Could be wrong...again.[8]  But it should work on small as well as large carburetors.[:0]

Ron Carbaugh
Ron Carbaugh

john durrill

Ron ,
 The other file has the size  for the larger carbs broken down to slide part #'s i will send it also. Its just very hard to read some of the #'s. You should have it now.
John D.

firstturn

John,
  Got it...have a great vacation.

Ron Carbaugh
Ron Carbaugh

tmc3c

Thank You John !! :)

Thomas Carmichael
Thomas Carmichael

1970 125 Six Day
1976 250 Hare Scrambler