Favorite Penton?

Started by Mike Lenz, December 12, 2004, 08:44:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mick Milakovic

Mike, that is the story I have about the bike.  Rick raced it one season or so and then my brother bought it from Buck.  I've talked to Rick a little over the last couple years, but have never thought about bring it up.  Maybe I'll trailer it up there and show him, but it would take a lot to part with it because it means a lot to me, too.  Maybe he would consider a trade for something else?  I'll have to ask.....

Mick

rich allison

Mine was a 125 Six Day I bought a week after I graduated from High School. I bought it from a small shop in Dover Oh. called Mathias Cycle on a Sat. bought me a Bell Magnum helmet and a pair of lineman boots and went trail riding on Sun. Being this was the first time riding, my belly and chest got more seat time than my behind. But that bike took me every where my buddies went on there Bul's and Husky's just didn't get many style points. A month later I raced my first MX race at Mathias Raceway where the owner Hugo, was known to cut down a couple trees and change the track layout while you were racing. Found out that Hare Scrambles was much more fun to race. Had lots more success racing a 175 Penton, but my first bike, the 125 will always be my favorite.    Rich

richard j allison
Rich

alnakal

Quotequote:Originally posted by rich allison

Mine was a 125 Six Day I bought a week after I graduated from High School. I bought it from a small shop in Dover Oh. called Mathias Cycle on a Sat. bought me a Bell Magnum helmet and a pair of lineman boots and went trail riding on Sun. Being this was the first time riding, my belly and chest got more seat time than my behind. But that bike took me every where my buddies went on there Bul's and Husky's just didn't get many style points. A month later I raced my first MX race at Mathias Raceway where the owner Hugo, was known to cut down a couple trees and change the track layout while you were racing. Found out that Hare Scrambles was much more fun to race. Had lots more success racing a 175 Penton, but my first bike, the 125 will always be my favorite.    Rich

richard j allison

would like to know if you still owned the bell magnum... i was hoping to add into my helmet collection.. do inform me thanks..

rich allison

Unfortunatly I sold it 25 years ago when I went into the Air Force. Can you still buy a open face helmet from Bell.

richard j allison
Rich

T Krash

It was in the early seventies.  After a rash of blown up Elsinores
and Pursangs, a white Mint 400 hit the garage.  At last something, I couldnt destroy.  Cerani Forks, multi position rear shock mounts, and over built to the T.  Of course, first time my Dad rode it;he fell over and stuck the throttle.  Pretty much siezed it on its first ride(after a lengthy road trip to the Ozarks).  A magazine editor was there testing a 175 hair scrambler, suggested that someone go assist him.  Never the less, a great bike that we owned, raced and beat until later sold for college xpenses.

T Kennedy
T Kennedy

Rocketman

The "Berkshire" 100.  Just look at one, need I say more.

Lord, please let me be more like the person my dog thinks I am.
72 Six-Days

kds449

larry, i bought your 77 penton 2 years ago. i love the bike. if i ever sell it, i'll let you know first

lksseven

70 125 Steeltanker.  I bought it from Carlton Curtis, a friend who was like a big brother to me, who exploded out of our pack and became the best rider in a 4 state area in the early 70's.  He was not only lightning fast, but had an elegance in his riding that reminded me of Joe Dimaggio playing baseball.  The fact that it was Carlton's bike, coupled by my opinion that that bike was the most beautiful sexy thing I had ever seen (I didn't see Kim Basinger till much later :)) was perfect harmony for my soul.

A close second, the '74 125 6-day that Ron (my new big brother) found for me outside of Kerrville this summer.  That bike reminds me of a Boxer (dog) in its athleticism and symmetrical beauty - everything perfectly matched in size, and line, and form.

Larry Seale
I choose to ride
Larry Seale
I choose to ride...slower and slower all the time

wolfmanonapenton

The early yellow 250 hare scrambler in mx trim!What a neat end cap?Batman style!Hehaww![:o)]

gthong

Favorite Penton I ever owned:

a new 400 enduro. 1977 orange   lectron carb   17 inch rim laced up in the rear with a big wide 5 in wide knobby.. had it done at the dealer.    first year they put the leading axle marzooki forks on the enduro model.

That bike rocked.. it could do wheelies at 40 MPH in deep sand!!!
My 520 KTM can do it at 50 mph... but whose got the guts at 50 Y.O.

Bike I'd like to sit in my garage as art:   Red and white steel tank 100 berkshire.  or a blue and white steel tank.. oh heck.. any steel tanker.. it's not as though I have to ride it!!!!!

My dealer was Lindy's Suzuki in Romeo, Mich... any of you guys??

ChromeGuy

I just found this site and had to add my White Mint 400 I had the 2nd 400 to be ship to west coast I had to wait a long time the first one went to a factory rider I was told.At the time I could ony get a MX and  I rode enduros so had to buy the big tank and change the exhast.I was the only guy to have the white Mint 400 in N Cal enduros It was great at the starting line the other 4 riders must of thought i was a pro or some body because they would wait for me to start and lead. I had only rode for about a year and  so sometimes I look like a pro and their was other times the stories was more fun after the race. I rode with a great bunch of Guys in Stockton Ca if any of you read this I would like to hear from you ---Gary Standifer PS I still have that Mint 400

Mike Lenz

Ditto on the mint 400.  I had many a good race on one of those in 1975 and since I started racing one again in 1998. My favorite vintage bike to race!