New to motorcycles

Started by Jimisback, December 17, 2004, 05:17:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jimisback

Hello, I need to see if the engine on my 125 is frozen up or not to start. It has been sitting for years and years. I have it off the frame. I have no kick starter on it or gear shift. What can I do to make sure it is free moving? And were can I get the kick starter and gear shift? I have never worked on a motor cycle before but only on cars. Should I take the gears out? I don't know if it is in gear or out of gear. Any help is welcome. This Penton is in bad shape as far as the engine goes and missing parts. So I am starting at square one.

Thanks people.
Jimmy Kearney / [email protected]

herman

Jim, Wecome to the Best of all sites!If you want a shifter i have the m as well as kicker.Or you can just try turning it over with your hands on the flywhell.Herm

Herm
Herm

tmc3c

Hey Jimmy, Have you ever thought of sending the motor out to Doug Wilford or Kip Kern ? Kip rebuilt my 250 motor and made it look brand new ! And Doug rebuilt one for "Swamp Fox" Robert Manucy and I know he was in love with Dougs work also. Doug is the master of Sachs motors.I also do all the work on my cars but when you don't have the right tools I have found it costs me more money in the long run.Just my two cents,hope you don't take offense.:)

Thomas Carmichael
Thomas Carmichael

1970 125 Six Day
1976 250 Hare Scrambler

Jimisback

I just want to have something to do. And I love mechanical and electrical. I have the engine in front of me now in my basement. And now I start to see if I have the tools to take it apart. Wish me luck and keep the info coming please. I will get it running somehow.[8]

Jimisback

I have the head off. The seats and all look good. But someone has done this before. There is a dent on the top of the piston, like they tried to hit it with a screw driver to free it. Just a small nick. I now have the piston were I can see the whole piston and shaft. I don't see any rings. Is this normal? The piston will not move freely by hand. I am just trying to move it by pushing on the top of the piston.as well as pulling.

Jimisback

The electronico????? Seems to be hard to get off. it is turning the piston when I try to undo it. Is that normal? Is it an alternater or a generater?

Doug Wilford

You must have a Motoplat Ignition Aluminum fly wheel. Remember all nuts on the right side of the engine are left hand thread You need a special puller for the flywheel the sprocket is on a taper that nut is also left handed.   The Germans loved to make things fit by shimming and if you are not familiar and have the tools you are in for alot of fun, but that is what it is all about, having fun.

Jimisback

Thanks, So what way should I turn this to get it off? It does not seem to turn in either direction. P.S. it says Motoplat on it. Man thanks for all the help.

Jimisback

OK Doug, I got the nut off. Now do I need the puller to take the rest off? Oh, Do you guys mind me asking this stuff??????????? If so I will just go for it. If not I will seek your help. Just let me know. Thanks.

firstturn

Keep asking that's what this is all about.

Ron Carbaugh
Ron Carbaugh

tmc3c

Jim, Keep asking till you get the answer to your quest! If not you could be making a high $$$$ decision .[:p]

Thomas Carmichael
Thomas Carmichael

1970 125 Six Day
1976 250 Hare Scrambler

Doug Wilford

Yep, you will need a special puller to remove the flywheel.   I would suggest that you try to obtain the special tools you will need  to tackle this project.  Pullers and holders and repair manual will be needed.   Check the Parts Link and contact those people to find the tools you are going to have to have.    Have Fun!

Jimisback

Doug, I am ordering the manual monday. I pulled the cover off the magnito. Now it is just the red part. I can get to the screws behind it now. Should I take them off? Or the ones on the body of the engine? I tried but they will not turn so I stopped till I get the manual. Should I, or Could I go any farther? Thanks for all the help.

Doug Wilford

The red part is the stator. To retain your ignition timing use a chisel, and mark the stator plate with the case for reinstalling of the stator later.   Rmove the three screws and the red part.  Sometimes you need an impact wrench to get the case screws loose.   But I suggest you wait for your manual.  Removing the case screws is much later in the disassembly.   Most every thing in the clutch side needs to be removed first.
Doug

Jimisback

Thanks Doug, great info. I am just waiting to get the manual now. I ordered it so it should be here tomorrow. I wonder what is making it so stiff to move the piston. It maybe in gear?