75 front hub needed

Started by Mick Milakovic, December 30, 2004, 05:58:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mick Milakovic

Hi All,
I'm getting my harescrambler ready for Gainesville and found a crack across the bearing housing on my front hub.  Does anybody have an extra they could part with?

Mick

Dennis Jones

Hi Mick,

I don't believe I have one but I will look. I sure have a bunch of ones just like yours. Has anyone had luck with welding them up? See you at the races.

Dennis Jones
Dennis Jones

Lew Mayer

Mick, let me know if you can't find one. I'll look and see what I have too.

Lew Mayer
Lew Mayer

Lew Mayer

Sorry, Mick, I checked and the only good hub I have is laced to a rusty Radaeli. I'll keep an eye out, though.

Lew Mayer
Lew Mayer

Rain Man

Hi Mick, I dont have the part you need, but this situation and question has risen before and I'm kinda curious if any other Poggers have ever had one of these cracked hubs come unglued while under racing or riding conditions.  
   I had a rear hub on my Jackpiner crack back in the 70's. I changed it but I was always curious if these cracks went so far as to disintergrate while actually riding ??? [B)]
 Any input  or stories Poggers??

Raymond
 Down East Pentons
Raymond
 Down East Pentons

Dave Withrow

Hey Mick,
    I have one laced to a Sun rim,  It has the speedo cable still attached.  Let me know if you want it and if you go to Farley I'll bring it.

firstturn

Dennis,
  Are you talking about magnesium or aluminum hubs?  I NEVER had welded hubs on any of my race bikes.  I think at some point the cracked hubs will come into play for resoration purposes.

Ron Carbaugh
Ron Carbaugh

Cappy

I'll check today...I think I have at least one I can spare.

John Cappel

John Cappel

wildman

We used to weld Maico rear hubs all the time. The wimpy rear spokes would pull right out and elongate the holes. This was an aluminum hub. We would then drill out the spoke hole after welding and install heavy duty stainless spokes from Buchanans. Never had a problem again. Magnesium should weld OK if clean. I would think loosening all the spokes first would be advised. BTW, Al had new front hub for $51 a while back, is he out? Hope this helps, Dan Pagel

1975 250 Cross Country, 1974 175 Jackpiner, 1975 125

Dennis Jones

Ron, I believe the cracked ones I have to be magnesium. I agree that these bad parts will come into play. I hope no one is throwing them away. On a show bike they would be fine.

Dan, The cracked ones I have and have seen are cracked in the center area around the bearing sleeve inside the brake hub side. Do ya think these could be welded? I do.

Dennis Jones
Dennis Jones

Mike Lenz

I reciently have had one welded but I have also seen one welded that cracked again along side the weld, so Im not holding my breath. Im sure they  would crack again with a faster intermediate or expert rider.

Cappy

I'll check today...I think I have at least one I can spare.

John Cappel

John Cappel

wildman

We used to weld Maico rear hubs all the time. The wimpy rear spokes would pull right out and elongate the holes. This was an aluminum hub. We would then drill out the spoke hole after welding and install heavy duty stainless spokes from Buchanans. Never had a problem again. Magnesium should weld OK if clean. I would think loosening all the spokes first would be advised. BTW, Al had new front hub for $51 a while back, is he out? Hope this helps, Dan Pagel

Dennis Jones

Ron, I believe the cracked ones I have to be magnesium. I agree that these bad parts will come into play. I hope no one is throwing them away. On a show bike they would be fine.

Dan, The cracked ones I have and have seen are cracked in the center area around the bearing sleeve inside the brake hub side. Do ya think these could be welded? I do.

Dennis Jones
Dennis Jones

Mike Lenz

I reciently have had one welded but I have also seen one welded that cracked again along side the weld, so Im not holding my breath. Im sure they  would crack again with a faster intermediate or expert rider.