Cool Bike

Started by Admin, January 09, 2005, 07:48:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dwight Rudder

Looks very similar to Lee Clark's V032 bike.
Dwight

Dwight Rudder
7 time ISDT / E medalist
8 time National Enduro Class Champion.

Paul Danik

Dave,
   The brace that you mention was probably added on to strenghten the stinger.  I remember that when my first Penton decided to once in awhile jump onto the ground the stinger sometimes took the impact and would bend. If you can send a closeup picture of the stinger I would be glad to look at it. I have a pipe over at the farm with a partial original stinger still atached but shortened, I will measure the OD so we can compare.
Paul

nsujeff

Hi Dave , Nice  find! I am in the collection phase for an early '68 Six Days Steel Tanker project . My frame is number is V0148 , so I'm glad to see one so close for reference.
 My friend found me  a cherry long air box similar to yours at a garage sale a couple of miles down the road. On the right side there is no grey cover ,but has a 50mm grey plug and a gold red and black 70mm by 50mm sticker with the Penton Family crest on it. The rest is identical . You can see the sticker on the bike on page 72 of the John Penton book. If mine is earlier or later than yours, I have no clue. Any ideas out there?
                                                      Jeff Borer
                                                     Amherst, Ohio
Jeffrey P. Borer
Amherst,Ohio

cardojr

Dave, I measured the stinger on my berkshire (ser # v790)--
length --approx 7-1/2"
od of pipe --approx 1-1/8"
I also would think the brace is to prevent kinking-my stinger has about a 3/4" bend in it from being dropped.
thanks -rob

rob w

Hi Dave,
I'll bet the pride and joy of finding that bike will never go away, in fact it could possibly grow the longer you have it around.
Congratulations on snagging a treasure.

Paul, The "Steel tanker" book, that's awesome. Who will be the main author of that?
Have you or anyone else ever heard if there's any background, or a story behind nicknaming or labeling the first Pentons to arrive as "Mongrels".
 I'm always searching for the earliest articles mentioning the first accounts or appearances of the Penton motorcycle, and what they had to say.
In a 1968 Cycleworld mag. article about the "90-Mile" endurance run, it says........"The new Penton Six Day's 125 motorcycle was of considerable interest to the eastern riders. Three of John Pentons "mongrels" were entered in the contest- and for Leroy Winters it was a winning combination."  It also shows and says "Bantamweight Class A winner Leroy Winters sloshes through the mud on his new Penton Six Days 125, the new "mongrel" bike"
Of course "Mongrel" meaning that the Penton was made-up of parts by so many different suppliers. Just curious, thanks.

Also checking through old mags I've found the stinger on one of Leroy's first bikes to be larger dia. I'd say apx. 1 1/8" at least (like a VW tailpipe).
But the pictures I've found from the stock test bikes of that era definetly look smaller, more like 3/4".

Dave, I suppose guys might gossip and talk behind your back about the size of your stinger. But not me :D "thou shall not judge a man by the size of his stinger" !!

Have fun,
Bob

OUCWBOY

Just wanted to give my 2 cents on the stinger issue. I purchased a NEW Steel Tanker in 1969 from Mike Lewis in Lawton OK. It actually had a VW Tail pipe welded on as a stinger. It did have a slight baffeling effect as well. The VW tail pipes were chrome and the fitst time I went down on the RT side the black paint on the stinger came off to reveil the chrome VW stinger. I didn't know until that time that it was really a VW stinger.

Donny Smith
Donny Smith
Paragould, AR

slvrbrdfxr

Hi All,
Thanks for all the feedback so far. After exchanging emails with Paul, he has me convinced that it would be best to leave this bike as original as possible. I'll need to do a little work in order to prevent any farther deterioration of the gas tank and exhaust. Anybody have any suggestions on how best to preserve the tank without damaging the paint ?? Will probably have to sand and paint the exhaust to prevent anymore rust but I'm open to suggestions there too. I plan to recover the seat to make the bike rideable but don't think that will affect the bike's overall appearance. Paul mentioned that these early bikes came with a narrow front fender bracket and a narrow front fender. Anyone have some used ones that they would like to part with ?? I'll also will be needing a used original rear fender and some used metal number plates. Thanks again for all the help.

Dave McCullough

P.S. Oh yea, by the way Bob, I've been told it's not the size of your stinger but how you use it that counts. :D:D

firstturn

Dave,
  I am leaving right now to go and pick a bike up in Oklahoma.  If you get a chance tomorrow give me a call on the tank and to discuss some of the parts you need.  Cell:832.722.0408

Ron Carbaugh
Ron Carbaugh

Rain Man

What year did the gas caps change??  My 70 steel tanker has a little lever you flip over to open the cap, but the tank didn't come with the bike.  Dave, yours looks like a screw type cap,
  Nice find never the less !!

Raymond
 Down East Pentons
Raymond
 Down East Pentons

slvrbrdfxr

Raymond,
You are correct on the gas cap. My bike has a screw on type cap. I think this was a feature of the 68 models only but maybe someone with more knowledge can shed some light on this. The tank also does not have the toolbag mounting nuts between the cap and seat. Think the toolbag mount nuts came on the later model steeltankers. Did anyone notice the oval shaped magura throttle tube ?? Might be a little hard to see in the pictures.

Dave McCullough

firstturn

Dave,
  Send me a email.  I think I have located a left side foot peg.  Include you numbers where you can be reached tomorrow.  Still looking for the front fender bracket.

Ron Carbaugh
Ron Carbaugh

firstturn

Dave,
  Forgot to add that  it does have the hanger..........you are living right.[^]

Ron Carbaugh
Ron Carbaugh

Paul Danik

Dave,
   Those oval throttles were great on the early machines, actually I wish they would have kept putting them on the later bikes. Many a time in a muddy harescrambles after falling in a muck filled area on the throttle side that oval throttle was a life saver, my wrist is starting to hurt right now as I remember trying to hold onto and twist the later throttles that were caked with mud:D

No one has mentioned the small bracket that extends from the frame right below where the twin downtubes attach to the top of the frame, it is easily seen in the picture that shows your serial number. I believe that is for a steering dampener.

I have a question about the large chrome nut that is on the top triple tree, are there threads in the center hole or is it just a hole. I have seen these in three different styles, ones with just a hole with no threads that a steering dampener rod could go down through, some with no hole at all, and the later ones that start to show up in parts book 003 have a threadded hole so a 8mm bolt can be attached to it for holding your enduro equipment in place.

One final question, the black chain block that is located on the lower part of the chain guard, does it say Penton on it?  You might need to really get close and wipe it clean to see it.

Sorry to ask so many questions but there are a lot of interesting details on the early Pentons that make them quite unique.
Paul

firstturn

Paul,
  The dampeners come up on ebay from time to time:).  They were especially great for road racing.

Ron Carbaugh
Ron Carbaugh

slvrbrdfxr

Paul,
I can see where the oval throttle grip would come in real handy if the going gets rough. I think the original grip on my Penton Wassell was an oval style also. The Wassell did not have the oval shaped throttle tube though. It was only the grip itself that was oval shaped. Have any idea where I can get a some grips to fit the oval throttle tube ?? I think your exactly right about the bracket below the steering head being used for a steering dampener. My bike has a non-threaded hole in the chrome nut on the top triple clamp so maybe it's possible that this bike was originally equipped with one. Think it would be pretty easy to install one with the shaft running down through the hole and then attaching to the frame bracket. Went out and took a good look at the chainguard guide block also. I can't see any Penton markings on it but it's very dirty. I'll take a better look when I disassemble the bike to clean it up. Keep the questions coming because I don't mind at all. I've learned alot from all the feedback so far and hope other have too. Talk to you later.

Dave McCullough