Removal of the woodruff key

Started by cubfan1968, January 14, 2005, 07:40:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cubfan1968

Ok, I'm gonna ask the question as dumb as it might sound. I'm installing a MZ-B Ignition in my 125B. The directions say to remove the woodruff key. I take its the small piece thats on the taper of the crank shaft. How do you remove it? It looks to be machined on. I look at the new flywheel and its got a slot just like the old one, why don't I need this key to stay? Any help would be appreciated.

Rod Whitman
Rod Whitman
Omaha, Nebraska
1972 Six Day (Rider)
1972 Six Day (Project)

Dennis D

Rod, when I installed the MZ ign. on my Piner I had to remove the key. The MZ flywheel for the KTM motor did not have the groove for the key. It relied on the interference (sp?) fit between the flywheel and the crank. It could be that the groove on the new flywheel would not allow the timing to be set correctly on your motor as it would not line up as the old flywheel did. Just my thoughts... Dennis D

cubfan1968

Ok, I understand the timing issue. That makes sense. How does the key come off. Its probably real easy, but I'd rather ask a question than botch up something. Thanks

Rod Whitman
Rod Whitman
Omaha, Nebraska
1972 Six Day (Rider)
1972 Six Day (Project)

Paul Danik

Rod,
   The woodruff key is basicly a half moon shaped key that fits in a machined slot on the crank and is used for flywheel alignment. Since you don't need it take a small chisel or a good screwdriver that has a strong plastic handle and place it against the end of the key where it meets the crank.   Very lightly tap against the key and it should ride right up and out of the slot. Just a gentle tap should do it. The key is held in place by being a snug fit into the machined slot, it is not part of the crank.
Hope this helps.
Paul

cubfan1968

Thank you very much Paul. Worked just like you said it would. I read the instructions, checked the owners manuel and parts list but before I hit it I wanted to ask the question. Waited way to long to own one of these things. Again,thank you very much.:)

Rod Whitman
Rod Whitman
Omaha, Nebraska
1972 Six Day (Rider)
1972 Six Day (Project)

Dennis D

Sorry Rod, Didn't read your post close enough. A pair of side cutters, some call them wire cutters, will also work on the woodruf keys. Dennis D

cubfan1968

Thanks for the reply, Dennis. Thats what makes this web site great, marginal wrenchs like myself can get help before a dumb mistake is made. Thanks to all.

Rod Whitman
Rod Whitman
Omaha, Nebraska
1972 Six Day (Rider)
1972 Six Day (Project)

ehletra

HI is this Rod that baught my old six day form me?
Travis

cubfan1968

I be the one. The bike is looking good and running hard. I'll send a picture your way when I'm done.

Rod Whitman
Rod Whitman
Omaha, Nebraska
1972 Six Day (Rider)
1972 Six Day (Project)

ehletra

Well Rod it sounds like your fixing the old beast up good. I kinda regret selling it. but I couldent aford the new parts. Have you driven it yet. do you like it? how does it run? I know the engine is in good shape because I ran it 18 to 1 fule mixter so it got plenty of oil to the engine. Have you put the ingnition in that you were talking about puting in? Im glad it has a good home please send me pictures.
Travis