1973 Penton Restoration

Started by DataPlace, January 22, 2005, 09:56:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DataPlace

I still have my 1973 Penton 250 Hare Scrambler that I bought new.  My son & I have decided to see if parts are available to restore it. Does anyone know where I may find parts and/or information for restoration of the following: A 1973 Penton 250cc Hare Scrambler with KTM engine (i.e. Shop Manual, Air Filter, KTM MotoPlat/or repair, carb kit, replacement seat cover, etc.)?
1973 - 250 Hare Scrambler

firstturn

Data,
  Welcome to the Penton Owner Groups web site.  Most if not all the  parts you mentioned can be found under suppliers on the home page.  I also owned a 1973 Hare Scrambler back in '73.  A bike I will always remember.  You might consider joining POG which will enable you to get our quarterly Still Keeping Track Newsletter and a lot of other info that enables one to better understand some of the subjects discussed here on the website.
  Good luck on your registration.

Ron Carbaugh
Ron Carbaugh

Paul Danik

DataPlace,
   I also would like to welcome you to the POG website. One of the POG's missions is to encourage young people to become interested in the Penton machines and history so that they may carry on as us oldsters head to that other riding area, we refer to that mission as the Penton Future Project. I am glad to see that you mentioned your son's involvement with your project, how old is he, does he ride? I know that the time I have spent with my son riding and working on Pentons and motorcycles in general, has been very special.

Good luck with your project and please keep us updated on your progress.  Please don't hesitate to ask any question that you may come up with as these guys are always more than willing to be of assistance.
Paul

DataPlace

Ron,
Thanks so much for your help, sorry for the dumb question, I should have looked around more before posting.  
I owned a dealership and raced several other enduro brands before I bought this one but never wanted anything else afterwards.
Just before I bought the Penton I raced against John or Jack, not sure which, and another Penton team rider and they blew me away so effortless I had to have one.
I just hope my son has 1/2 the fun I did on this bike.
PS: This is an absolutely GREAT site I am finding everything I need!

Thanks Again, Rodger

DataPlace

Paul,
Thanks for the encouragement. My son is now 23, all grown up. I rode him a lot on scenic trails when was very young and have been promising him we would ride together since he was about 13.
He has never ridden but has always wanted to, he recently bought a home in the country and there are a lot of leasure riders and areas near his new home and he really wants to give it a try.
I am too old to ride hard but can still putts around OK on my Honda XR500R I bought for leasure riding and want be too many years till my grandson could ride.
Feeling younger already,
Rodger

bbeck3100

I too am new to the Penton Ownwrs Group but have restored 3 Pentons in the last 8 years or so. All the stuff you need is pretty much available through the efforts of Pentonphiles like Alan Buehner, Randy Kirkbride, and others. They have worked very hard to find and, or reproduce just about every thing one would need and all the parts they have repro'd are of very high quality. I just finished an early 250 Hare Scrambler last summer. It turned out pretty good but I couldn't have done it without the help of POG members.

Paul Danik

Rodger and bbeck,

If you guys don't mind telling, what parts of the country are you guys from?  I am from Mars, PA about 20 miles north of Pittsburgh.  We have POG members scattered accross the country and abroad,who knows you might have a fellow Pentonite not far from you.

It's great to have both of you onboard!
Paul

bbeck3100

Paul
I live in Pacheco, Ca., about 30 mi. from SF. Also, I was wondering-is there any way to post pics here?
Thanks,
Blair Beck

DataPlace

I currently live in Huntsville, Alabama.  
I was born and grew up in Alabama and had my motorcycle dealership here and did all of my car and motorcycle racing in the southeast.  I lived around the country (Atlanta/Albany Ga, Dallas/Elpaso TX, Detroit MI, Gulf Coast FL/MS, Baltimore MD & DC area) over the years but always come back to "My Home's in Alabama".

Paul,
I did a little riding in the Bradford, PA area (beautiful country) and several years back spent a lot of on-business time at Mellon Bank in Pittsburgh.
Rodger

tomale

Bbeck, I know that there are several pentonites in the bay area. I think Horton lives near by. There is several of us up here in the Pacific Northwest. There is 7 0r 8 of us up this way. I am unsure of the count of bikes but it is somewhere around 15 between us. So lots of experience. I have only been a part of this site for two years knew of no one that owned such a machine until then. It has been great fun and I have enjoyed getting to know some of the best guys anywhere. But then what would you expect they are just like the rest of the fabulous other Penton riders around the country and around the world. At the Reunion ride I got to sit and talk with a fellow Penton owner who lives in So Africa. What a treat. Welcome to the finest group of guys anywhere. Data that goes for you too, you and your son. I promised my son...now 17 that I would teach him to ride. He is now on his second bike and loving it. And is looking forward to the day that we can get his 72 Penton 125 up and running. One day I will probably have to let him ride my beloved 250 but then what else am I to do. who else could enjoy it as much as I have. It will be his one day anyway.

Thom Green,Still crazy after all these years!
76' 250 MC5 (orginal owner)
78' 400 MC5
Thom Green,Still crazy after all these years!
74\\\' 1/2 440 maico
70\\\' 400 maico (project)
93\\\' RMx 250 suzuki
2004 Suzuki DL1000
1988 Honda Gl 1500
2009 KTM 400 XC-W

Paul Danik

Blair,
  There is a way to post pictures on the forum,  but I am not qualified to explain how to do it. Maybe one of the other guys who has done this can explain the process. If no one can help with those directions I will ask the POG webmasters, Bill and Karen, to give us some pointers.
  May I also add that Bill and Karen really put a lot of "behind the scenes" time into keeping this site running. I might also encourage all of you non POG members to think about joining the POG and helping to support this website. This website is not restricted to members only and is open for all to use, but membership dues and volunteer help from Bill and Karen make it happen. If you want to read about all of the benifits that come from the $20.00 yearly membership dues, such as the 4 quarterly newsletters, ect, click on JOIN POG on the homepage.
  Thanks
Paul

Young Ted

Adding to what Paul states, there are more than material things as a benefit to being  a Penton Owners Group member. I would not be where I am in life today without being a member of this group. Pulling chains is a small part of life as a POG member

Young Ted

olgoose

Paul Danik's question to Rodger and Bbeck as to were they live brings up a question. Is it possible to put the poster's city and state for all to see when he or she posts? I have always wondered where the person lived that posted on this Forum. Heck, it might even be a neighbor of mine. Probably some legalities, but it sure would be nice. Perhaps it could be up to the member, or poster, if they wanted that to be known.Just some thoughts,what's the chances webmaster?

David Duarte
David Duarte loomis, Ca.

DKWRACER

Young Ted, would that be you? If so Sir, it was an honor to ride with you at Tulsa. And thanks for the great story in Keeping Track.
Tom...
Thomas Brosius

Mike Horton

Hey Blair- Just noticed your post. i live in San Jose. I am just getting back in/on to Pentons after a 30 year vacation. Have acquired two bikes since October (73 & 75 Jackpiners).  Let me hear from you.
Mike Horton