My First Penton

Started by bbeck3100, January 24, 2005, 05:59:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bbeck3100

All Penton afficionados have a first Penton story....here's mine. I started riding in 1971 at age 14 on a Honda SL70, went to a Honda SL100, and soon it was apparent that a better bike was needed. The Honda was fine for what it was, but I had been bitten by the bug and there was no way the fever was going to break until I had a real competition dirt bike.

Through delicate negotiations that made the structuring of the Marsall Plan look simple, my Dad had agreed to advance me half the cost of the bike if I could save the other half. Now, we're talking probably 450 bucks just for my part of the deal if I wanted a new, state of the art Euro-type 'crosser. While I worked and saved, I pored over every spec of every bike that remotely looked like a possibilty. It's funny how we kids knew the bad and good points of every machine without ever actually riding them.

Mom had made her voice known when she issued the caveat that my new bike would be a 125....less chance in her mind that I would be maimed or killed. That didn't bother me, as I was almost monetarily ready for the Big Day.

It came after months of ferocious financial self-denial, and one Saturday in May of '72 my father and I drove to Sacramento to get The Bike. I had narrowed it down to a Husky 125 (then brand new on the market), a Bultaco Pursang 125, or a Penton 125.

We went to the Husky place first......lots of shiny 250's, 400's and one 125 in the window. The dealer sadly informed me that this one was going to his pet sponsored hotshoe and that he wouldn't have any more for a month. He did suggest we leave a deposit. We thanked him kindly and left. Since the Bul dealer was only a couple of blocks away, we stopped there. It was a nice place-I think the guy sold Yamahas and Triumphs and Bultacos. I really liked the little Pursang, but my Dad, who could be, um, outspoken at times, was already in a minor argument with the salesman. "Look at those welds! They look like something out of ninth grade metal shop- How long you think those fiberglass fenders'll last-and the paint on the frame looks like the same stuff  they used on the Tin Woodsman!" The salesman, remaining remarkably composed after this barrage, said that the bikes were cobby to be sure, needed looking after, but that their sponsored riders, two brothers who were pretty well known in No. Cal., hadn't been beaten since the 125 'Sangs came out. If we wanted nice paint, buy a Yamaha.

Again, we left. The Penton dealer was a few miles away, in a town called Loomis. Gene's Automotive was a converted gas station with the garage area made into a showroom. Gene Nunes sold Suzukis, Huskies, Hodakas and Pentons. One Helluva nice guy. When we pulled up, I saw 4 new Six Day 125's lined up in front, along with 2 Jackpiners that had just arrived.

I was captivated. What a handsome, purposeful looking machine! My father was very impressed with the workmanship and asked if I could take one for a short ride. Gene said no problem and had one of the shop guys bring his personal bike out from the back. Man, I loved it. After the Honda, it was like going from a Pinto to a Porsche.

We paid our money, 925.00 out the door, and loaded her up. I was barely coherent the whole way home. I finally had a state of the art 125 and was absolutely ecstatic.

I rode my Penton for 3 summers on the trails and fireroads around our home at Lake Tahoe and she never missed a beat. The bike survived my ham-fisted attempts at maintenance without a whimper, always shifted well, and was ultra-reliable.

I will never forget that first Penton, and I have restored one just like her, as well as 2 250 Hare Scramblers (sold one to a guy in Texas), and a 175 Jackpiner.

Pentons are still my favorite bike and I will always remenber that day in May of 1972.

firstturn

BBECK,
  Great story.  I will have to say that the Genes of the Penton World were normally good riders themselves or at least they rode.  Thanks for taking the time to share your story.

Ron Carbaugh
Ron Carbaugh

bbeck3100

Thanks. Compliments from a Penton luminary such as yourself are greatly appreciated.

Blair Beck

tomale

Bbeck, yes a great story, It brings back memories of some of my early bikes. Funny how I had never seen a little Penton. I had this habit of riding what ever I could get my hands on at the time. Because of it I went from a Susuki 90... what a handling nitemare to a Montessa Cappra 360 what a dream but had so much power..At the time I must have only been 5'4" and 120 pounds. The bike was huge and if I fell I could not have picked it up. Failure was not an option. I would load that thing in the back of my dad's 51 ford and head for the hills. Thanks for sharing your story

Thom Green,Still crazy after all these years!
76' 250 MC5 (orginal owner)
78' 400 MC5
Thom Green,Still crazy after all these years!
74\\\' 1/2 440 maico
70\\\' 400 maico (project)
93\\\' RMx 250 suzuki
2004 Suzuki DL1000
1988 Honda Gl 1500
2009 KTM 400 XC-W

olgoose

Bbeck,That is a good story. Gene Nunes was one of greatest and most caring dealers around. He would always go out of his way to help a customer.I was a shop rider for Gene on Husky, Penton, and Suzuki at one time or another. Gene and his great mechanic Bill Onga (of Elsinor Grand Prix fame, who has passed on)were both accomplished riders. Gene was severly injured in the early seventies at the Wilseyville Hare Scrambles. He is now retired and getting along fine in Loomis Ca..Both Gene and Bill were two of the original founding members of the Dirt Diggers North MC

David Duarte
David Duarte loomis, Ca.

firstturn

David,
  Thanks for the History lesson.  I was trying to place Gene and his shop.  With the addition of Bill's name and Dirt Diggers that helps try to remember some of the stories I have heard over the years from friends in the San Fran area.  Great stories out there and I love how Gene offered his own ride to a young man who remembers that ride to this day.[8D]

Ron Carbaugh
Ron Carbaugh

olgoose

Ron, Gene was one of those special motorcycle dealers of the past, where money was not the main object. If he could fix a kids bike, and the kid left smiling, that's what made his day. If they did not have the money to pay, that was ok too. He would just tell them pay him when they could. I am sure you have met a dealer like that in your travels. They are very special,and sometimes hard to find.

David Duarte
David Duarte loomis, Ca.

alandspeed

The bikes are all great, but alot of times its the guy in the shop that makes it.  We had a small engine shop(no bike shops in town) down the road from our place growing up that would help us keep our mini bikes running and swap tires for us and we would trade for lawn mowing or any other odd jobs they had.  You don't foget stuff like that and hope that someday you can do the same for others. Our shop helps the local 4-H club with the ATV program they have and you can see the same look in their eyes.  Just have to keep it going.