Zoke Shock Rebuild

Started by Cliff Cook, January 31, 2005, 10:54:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cliff Cook

Are seals and other parts available to rebuild the Zoke hocks from the 70's?? What oil and how much.  Thanks.

tmc3c

Hi Cliff, If you go to the search part of POG and type in Marzocchi it will bring up all the talk on these shocks and Yes you can rebuild them because I have a set on my 250 but first you need to know which size shaft you have.Welcome to POG and if I can Help just let me know.

Thomas Carmichael
Thomas Carmichael

1970 125 Six Day
1976 250 Hare Scrambler

Rocket

Cliff
I have the seal kits and I do the rebuilds.  If this is for a restoration, I also glass bead blast and paint the shock bodies and springs.
Rocket

tmc3c

Cliff, I din't want to say but Rocket is DA MAN for the rebuild of your Zokes !! He rebuilt mine and they were like brand new when I got them back and I haven't had a lick of problems with them.

Thomas Carmichael
Thomas Carmichael

1970 125 Six Day
1976 250 Hare Scrambler

Cliff Cook

Thomas and Rocket - thanks for the inputs.  I have some NOS "Leakproof" seals, but they are probably brick hard.  Usually do my own work when it is just to have it functional, which is the case just now.  Was looking for info on the seal availability which I found some reference to in the archives.  But eventually, Rocket, might want to go for cosmetic and all.  How much?  Thanks

Rocket

Cliff
I charge $60 per shock, plus parts, oil and shipping.  That price gets you a total disassembled shock, bead blast components, painted and assembled.  
Rocket

Big Mac

Cliff- If you don't go the Rocket route, you'll find the seals are very hard to come by in the same form as come out of the shocks. Marzocchi USA can't help, been down that road with no luck. The main oil seal is a non-typical sort and I've found no sources for it. I've heard you can go to a conventional seal but it looks to me like it would be difficult to duplicate the seals that come out of the body cap in height and such.

The rebuild process is well laid out at http://www.ducatimeccanica.com, scroll down to Marzocchi rebuild, and check out the instructions and diagrams for the AG Strada shock--very similar and all comes apart the same.

I like to do my own work too, and opted for an old "Leak-Proof" kit that POG member Dave Duarte had for sale. Hoping the seals and all are still young enough to get the job done, haven't yet reassembled and tested. Good luck.
Jon McLean
Lake Grove, OR

Steve Minor

Hey Rocket.....Do you have a source for shafts? I have a couple of pairs of Zokes from two 1977 GS6 projects that have rusty shafts...
Steve Minor

Big Mac

The above web address may be a dead end... try this one:
http://www.ducatimeccanica.com/marzocchi1.html

Should get you to the right place. Very similar shock with instructions on disassembly and rebuild. Good luck.
Jon McLean
Lake Grove, OR

tmc3c

I also went to Marzocchi plant/dist. and they seemed to be into bicycles more than motorcycles.I ordered a"kit" for the rebuild and found out it was wrong and had to send back for a refund.

Thomas Carmichael
Thomas Carmichael

1970 125 Six Day
1976 250 Hare Scrambler