Be Protected When Riding..

Started by DKWRACER, February 05, 2005, 07:32:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DKWRACER

Since I am not getting any younger and racing season is coming soon, I have, and maybe you, decided to purchase better riding protection from the site below...
http://www.hockeymonkey.com/protective.html
They also have a clearance outlet that you might score!!!

I may look like a freakin Monkey, but I am not into pain.

Good luck to all in the 05 season!
Thomas Brosius

Tennessee Vol

Thanks for the link it has some cool stuff.My soultion to the pain is when you ride as slow as I do it really doesn't hurt bad when you go down.I just lay there a while and rest.

Also I would like to wish everyone a good and safe season this year.It is almost time for the cabin fever to be over.

Bobby Stults
Bobby Stults

Norman Foley

Protective gear is a good idea.  Hockey gear is the inexspensive route(hockey is big in my area and we even have a shop that just buys and sells used gear), but there is good off road specific stuff for just a little more.  I wear an O'Neal/Azonic Flak Jacket under my jersey. It is mesh and has great back protector and built in kidney belt. All the protection is in the right place and it is relatively cool compared to hockey gear. I can't get my old Barbour jacket over it though.
Norman

Mick Milakovic

Thanks for the link, Tom!  I'm still using a set of hockey pads I bought back in the 70's!  I've been looking local without any luck and those prices look pretty good!

Mick

Keithuu

I find it amazing that so many of the guys I ride with, be it cow trailing, dual sport, whatever, don't think much about protective gear. Their "reasons" include, "too much bother", too much money", "too restrictive", "too hot", etc.

I agree 100% with the theory of "Dress for the crash, not the ride". You want hot and restrictive - wear a cast for any length of time. You want bother - hobble around on crutches. You want expense - enjoy a ride out of the woods in an ambulance.

I know a lot of AHRMA guys like period riding gear, too, but let's be honest, fellas, the new gear is way better than the stuff we rode in 30 or more years ago. I try to buy the best helmet and boots I can since my tootsies (ankles especially) and my noggin are most critical.

Knee pads and elbow pads are nice, too, since that's what usually hits the ground first, even in a low speed crash. A good chest/back protector with bicep guards (ever taken a branch in the bicep?) is also mandatory.

I come from a long hockey background, both playing and coaching, where the theory is to cover the body from stem to stern without leaving gaps. The same principle applies to bikes since a sharp stick or rock is just as painful as a puck:(

Keithuu
Keithuu

Tommy_V

I agree, after thinking about upgrading my chest protector, I high sided at Monster Mountain in the MX and cracked a rib.  I went last week and bought a nice set of TPS hockey shoulder pads with great rib protection for $50 on sale at Johnny Mac's in St. Louis.

Tommy
Tommy

Mick Milakovic

I also like the look of vintage, so spending less money for something just as good but looks different is OK when you wear them underneath your jersey.

Mick