Gary Leiker Vintage KTM 400 WC MC EUR GC

Started by CrustyDeman, February 06, 2005, 02:51:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CrustyDeman

Itwould be great to know some facts about the bike!!?

CrustyDeman

Bad ass dirt bikes are alot easier than Computers. So let me explain whats going on.  About four years ago while working at a tree farm I noticed an older, Pretty stout mean looking dirt bike sitting in a corner in one of the shops. It was out of the rain and wind but had a little dust on.  One day I asked my boss what it was doing there.  Ohh one of my friends has left there for a couple of years, I wish he'd get it out of here.  MY first thought was DAMB! NICE old looking bike for just sitting there for a couple of years.  AT that time it was no big deal I already had a nice newere YZ 125.  After a few months of it sitting there I finally asked him if I could try to start it.  With a **** Eating grin he said "Your foot your ass give it some kicks".  I only weighed in at a buck thirty five.  KNOW idea what I was kicking over.  Sure an XR 600 was kinda of hard and a little tiresome for a guy that size, but still manageable.  It was awekword on this bike though. Aleft footed kick start.  A short one at that.  But only a 400 hundred.  EASILY done.  The other guys and girls lined up to observe this relic actually fire up.  The oil was actually still good in it, Even had old gas.  OLD ASS PIECE OF CRAP KTM.  It took three kicks for me to REALIZE the son of a bitch had more compression than anything I had EVER been on.  I tried ten more, well just untill my foot was bruised to the bone.  My coworker decided to give it hell and try a couple times.  At this point we all new it was going to eventually start.  Fireing almost every time.  It was a mission at this point.  Everyone there braced themselves for that point when it was going to start.  WE knew it was going to be LOUD.  WHEN it finally did kick over it was under a tall metal building and I honestly think to this day that some of the sheet metal screws rattled out.  IMPRESSIVLY loud and on its first start it idled.  Not for very long though every one agreed to kill its switch do to noise.  And there it sat. Out of the snow and rain but it still sat.  I moved on to a 2002 CR 250, and lost that bike after trading my 125 in to help buy that one.  Im a serious 2 stroke nut job.  I love the power, the screem, every thing about them.  So there I was Completely Bikeless. And of course I had to pay off the CR without getting it back.  In the spring of 2004 My boss offered me a deal on the  KTM.  It wasn't A bad deal If i could just bear to start it again after 2 years of sitting.  But for some reason this time it only took 15 kicks.  And she purred, very loudely but none the less a perr.  I took the deal.  Made sure it had plenty of oil and new and improved mixed gas and took it for a test ride.  I was so impressed with how this bike handled not to mention it blew a newer CR 250 out of the water on a 1/4 mile air strip drag race. Left him in the dust.  Thats when I started wondering about the bike. I didn't know about Penton KTM in early 2004.  The gas tank itself is fiberglass and it has the beefy frame with the really wide handle bars.  The gas tank has the Same stickers on it as Gary Leikers Vintage. I never new aout that till a couple of days ago. I finally got on a website and read a little bit about these bikes. They are something for their era. But my bike right now in shape its in with the plastics and all looks so much like that guys bike, But his is a 77 .I'm pretty sure after reading up on these bikes that this one is 75. First three numbers being 550.
MUCH APPRECIATION AND GRATTITUDE WOULD COME FROM ME IF ANY BODY WITH INFORMATION LEADING TOWARD A PARTS AND SPECS BOOK AND EVEN SOME MISCELLANIOUS PARTS TO PUT BACK TO ITS ORIGINALL AND BEAUTIFUL CONDITION.

My Email address is    [email protected]

Thanks CrustyDeman

rdrnr

Welcome to a great place crusty.  You can learn alot from these people here.  The answers you seek are on the home page,  as for the year you need all the numbers from the neck and the right side of the engine.  Then look under production years.  Then go to suppliers and find Alan Buehner (top of list) and give him a call for the books.  Good luck and have alot of fun.
  P.S.  good job on the great find
  James from MO

rob w

Crusty,
Welcome, It's always good to hear from a newcomer, but the cursing is not necessary to convey your message here. I'm just a member, not the moderator. You have my pardon, but now it's known that that's the way it's preferred here. ;)

550 XXXXX, means that your bike is either a '76 or '77.

If I may ask....what part of the country are you in? Maybe someone near you can be of some assistance, if needed.
Good luck, hope to hear more soon.
Thanks
Bob
G.R. MI.

firstturn

Rob,
  Thanks for addressing the cursing issue.  This site isn't a place that we need that type of language.

Ron Carbaugh
Ron Carbaugh

DKWRACER

HUmmm, how is it that you would know about Gary Leiker, we both live in Denver...Tom...
Thomas Brosius

CrustyDeman

I apoligize for the language guys. Got a little exited remembering the fun time[:p]I found Mr. Leiker's picture of his bike on a website pertaing to AHRMA.  They are the same color and have the same decal on the gas tank.  The side plates are a little different. But it really caught my attention, the similarities.  But anyways thinks for the heads up on the choice of words, and the info. Oh ya, Im from centeral Idaho, so if you know any body with knowledge close by please reply.

CrustyDeman

firstturn

Crusty,
  Welcome to  our group and I hope we can answer questions and help you with anything Penton.  You live in Beautiful Country.[8D]

Ron Carbaugh
Ron Carbaugh

CrustyDeman

I'm so new at this i'm not sure what question to ask first or how many at once[:o)]  Here are a couple for starters:
      -What is the difference between the MC's and the GS's
        turns out mine is an MC5 400cc
      -How much do the plastics run at on avg?
        missing right side plate, front number plate.
      -And could a mikune carb be stock?

CrustyDeman

rob w

Hi CrustyDeman/Justin

MC5 vs. GS6 -
The MC5 was designed to be the motocross model and the GS6 is intended to be the enduro/offroad model.
-Both have similar engines with identical transmission ratios.
-Neither came equipped with a Mikuni carb, the MC5 using a Bing, and the GS6 stock with either a Bing or a Lectron carb.
-Frames were different, the GS6 designed to have a more water resistant intake system.
-Wheels, Forks and shocks were the same on both, I'm not sure whether the MC5 had more rear wheel travel, that seems likely. (?)
-Smaller gas tank on the MC5.
-Quieter exhaust system on the GS6.
-GS6 equipped with lighting.

Most all of yours parts can be located within the list of "Suppliers", you can link into that list off of our Home Page here.

Tom Brosius makes the fiberglass body parts, such as the side panel you need for $37.50 +.
No one that I know of has the stock front number plate, I get my oval number plates from Vintage Iron.

Any questions you may have, keep em' coming. The Penton I choose to ride is a 400 also (actually they're 355cc), I never get tried of the fun I have with that h.p., I think you'll get use to the starting method, it takes abit more umpf with the right leg, but mine usually gets going after 2 or 3 kicks cold, and one when it's warm.

Good luck, hope this has helped some.
Bob

tomale

Crusty, welcome to this site. you should be exicted they are great bikes. Nice to hear that there is another owner in the northwest. The number of such wise men is growing. Alot of guys have changed Carbs on the early KTM's I did on my 250 and the 400 will soon see the same change. You need to make sure what year the bike is because the side panels are not all the same. The 76/77's are but the side panels for the 78 are different. Tom B. can help you with all of those. We are a bit far to be of much help but let us know what we can do. Remember the only dump question is  "How high is the color blue?" so ask away. And yes there were blue Penton/KTM's   The Jackpiner and the 77 GS 250....not sure about the 400 that year though.

Thom Green,Still crazy after all these years!
76' 250 MC5 (orginal owner)
78' 400 MC5
Thom Green,Still crazy after all these years!
74\\\' 1/2 440 maico
70\\\' 400 maico (project)
93\\\' RMx 250 suzuki
2004 Suzuki DL1000
1988 Honda Gl 1500
2009 KTM 400 XC-W

eddie

hello all, i am a newbe on this, have been riding newer bikes for a while but my father gave me a monster of a bike, he says. It is a 1977 to 79 ktm 400 gs6 i beleve. I was wondering if anyone out there can tell me where too get parts for it. Its still in good condition but needs some tlc. thanke you, eddie

john durrill

eddie,
 Go to the home page and click on suppliers. Al , Donny and Jake can help you with most parts.
JOhn D.

eddie

Quotequote:Originally posted by rob w

Hi CrustyDeman/Justin

MC5 vs. GS6 -
The MC5 was designed to be the motocross model and the GS6 is intended to be the enduro/offroad model.
-Both have similar engines with identical transmission ratios.
-Neither came equipped with a Mikuni carb, the MC5 using a Bing, and the GS6 stock with either a Bing or a Lectron carb.
-Frames were different, the GS6 designed to have a more water resistant intake system.
-Wheels, Forks and shocks were the same on both, I'm not sure whether the MC5 had more rear wheel travel, that seems likely. (?)
-Smaller gas tank on the MC5.
-Quieter exhaust system on the GS6.
-GS6 equipped with lighting.

Most all of yours parts can be located within the list of "Suppliers", you can link into that list off of our Home Page here.

Tom Brosius makes the fiberglass body parts, such as the side panel you need for $37.50 +.
No one that I know of has the stock front number plate, I get my oval number plates from Vintage Iron.

Any questions you may have, keep em' coming. The Penton I choose to ride is a 400 also (actually they're 355cc), I never get tried of the fun I have with that h.p., I think you'll get use to the starting method, it takes abit more umpf with the right leg, but mine usually gets going after 2 or 3 kicks cold, and one when it's warm.

Good luck, hope this has helped some.
Bob

DKWRACER

Crusty, it may serve to give some info on Gary's bike as it now sits in my shop fully restored. What it is:
a 1977 GS 400 in MX trim
the frame does have the hi/low footpeg mounting positions
gas tank is std MC5 with new decals
rear fender is new and bolts to the underside of the seat
new fiberglass GS6 side panels and decals (small flying v-style)
this motorcycle came from Gary's own hands and I coveted it do to his
wealth of information and attention to detail.
In addition, at the time I purchased this bike, I also purchased "Stella"...a true gem if there ever was one........These two bikes, and others, have inspired me to attempt the reproduction of chassis parts, if you need something, the POG is an amazing place!
Respectfully,
Tom Brosius
Thomas Brosius