AHRMA MX opener in Arizona

Started by bentrims, February 08, 2005, 06:46:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bentrims

We had a fantastic weekend in the low 70s. Perfect for MX. I saw some really nice Pentons running around and traded 125s with Don Hanson for a test session.:) Thanks Don, I dont think mine will ever look that nice.  

The races went (fairly) well for me. Jumping class into Sportsman 125 was a blast! Started 6th and ripped by all the Elsinores up to 2nd. The leader (Coupe) was pretty well checked out by the time the traffic subsided. Second place was just fine[:p].
Moto 2 started better and I moved into 3rd on lap 1. I think I blew it a little in trying too hard this moto. I really wanted to get into 2nd quickly to give the same leader a shot of Penton Green[^]. My excitement caused me to make a few mistakes and see-saw from 2nd to 3rd several times.[xx(] Finally I made a charge into a corner and hit the other bike and went down (softly).[V]

Classic 125: The true class I am gunning for went better. It was really cool lining up with several Exotic 125s that I estimate close to $10,000. All my Penton has is a new set of shocks, a new carb, and a Doug Wolford motor.:D Anyway this moto was pretty uneventful as I started around 6th, moved into the lead on lap 2 and checked out.

Moto 2: This moto brought THE holeshot but I came around a freshly watered corner on lap 1 and went down in the grease. I had trouble restarting and found myself a half lap down. Got it going and went into crazy mode moving into 4th place.[8] This gave me 2nd overall. Not too bad for a very stock looking bike.

Special thanks to:
Ted Landers, For starting our morning with a service which put our priorities in the right place. Drop by our pit area anytime!
 Ron Carbaugh for hooking me up with the right people and giving me encouragement.green]
Doug Wolford, For a fine running motor and equal encouragement.
Al Buehener, For having the right stuff and a level of service we just dont see much anymore. Al...My chest protector is lettered Penton USA!
Hope to see you guys in Gainesville Florida. The Penton goes after the high buck East side bikes there.
Tom Benolkin

firstturn

Thanks Tom for trying the Penon out and truly giving the Penton a chance.  Please continue to keep us updated.

Thanks Teddy for keeping us all in line and our priorities in order.

I just LOVE MX.  Thanks to all of the Penton Riders who give us (Me) a show.  Man it doesn't get any better:D.

Ron Carbaugh
Ron Carbaugh

James

Yes ,that was a wild ride. I got a picture of you at the finish saving a tank slapper. Tom, that suspension needs work. Bob Brizee raced his 125 Penton to a third in classic 125 novice-mising gears most of the time. After all the work we did to the 77 Mc5...his chain broke in practice-no 530 masterlink to be found. Bob was loaned a bike from Red Racer ( great guys almost make me want an elsinore-ALMOST) and won but on a HONDA...I won novice historic 500-and am bumping to intermediate. We are changing the MC5 to a 520 setup.  James

Yamazuki-Kawahonda all sounds the same to me.. Real bikes were made in Europe
7\\" and 4\\" travel? Hmm-that makes 11\\" Hey! I can live with that.

bentrims

Very cool James! You will see my Honda on ebay soon. I have never had a bike as fun to ride as my 6 Days. Post any photos for the Poggers if possible. Thank you,
Tom (Tanks were made for slapping) Benolkin[:p]

ktm96duke

I THINK TOM WOULD WIN ON A SCHWINN 3 SPEED IF IT WAS A DOWNHILL START!:D

JP
1980-1981 all sizes

JP
1980-1981 all sizes

Doug Wilford

Tom it sounds like a whole lot of fun.   Bob send us a picture of your Penton.   TO: Teddy Landers thanks again for helping.   One of these days we may have to start calling you Dad or Uncle Teddy for your continueing efforts to support all the Penton riders at these events.
Sincerely
Doug Wilford

bildough

Tom;

Im sorry to see you suffered from the sachs tranny woes also. However all of us and even the track announcer commented on how each time you calmly let the engine rev down and calmly found your gear and got going again. I frantically smash away looking for a gear. The announcer kept saying how hard it is to find a gear in a sachs and how he was impressed at how you kept finding your gears so quickly.The chikane after the finish line seemed to grab your tranny a couple times. Also once out in the back you were flying through a section so fast you nearly missed the next corner as you entered it sideways. The only thing louder than your engine was your yelling. Quite comical for all of us. Great ride. I lokked for you in the pits but kept missing you. Hope you will make it to Diamond Dons in April.

Bill Cappel

bentrims

Hi Bill,
Thanks for the ecouragement[:p] I love riding a bit wild and trying hard.
Dirk Williams told me you were there. Sorry I did not see you. I plan on Diamonds for sure...I love that track. There are alot of refinements we are making before Gatorback (PVL, better compression, jetting, and Excel rims, MX Penton tank). Them Jap bikes better be ready![8]
Tom B

SoCal996

Tom,

Congratulations on the race, I saw the 125 Sportsman and was pumped watching you ride the Penton. The first in moto 1 of the Classic 125 put a smile on my face also. Pentons will always be my first love.

Socal996
aka out of control squid that you didn't hit in race two.

mx503

That's the TB I know and have followed! Awesome job! I remember when the Pentons had to compete heads up. The Elsinores were the death nell for the 100 and 125's. They sleeved the 125 to 100cc and they flew. I remember wanting a Penton 100 so bad then I thought I would move up to 125's. And then the Honda came out. Just might have to find me a 125 motor or complete bike now. Hmm...Let's see, a little here a little there. Yep, I can find the money. Now to find a bike. See you soon TB!

Bob Peed
Bob Peed

bentrims

Thanks SoCal,

I am young again working on this bike all week and dreaming of MX.
"Aint that what its all about"?

Still not sure who I ran over in moto 2 but I feel bad about it..Tom B

bentrims

Tommy_V

Tom,

Tell me about the "Powder coated Heat paint ProForm pipe".  Did you have this done or did Eric do it for you?  I'd love to have a pipe that stayed decent looking and will clean up.

Tommy
Tommy

bentrims

Tommy V,

I did the pipe locally. First I had a sandblaster clean it all up for about $20 then to a local powder coater. Best Coating (local MN) offered a black or an aluminum hue that is good up to 1200 degrees for $50.

I will probably do the same to my Penton pipe just for something to tinker with.
Thanks for checking.
TB

James

Tom-glad to see you are pitching the "elsin-snore". Do you have any intentions of a Penton/KTM 250 Hare Scrambler 73-75, or 250 MC5?
It would be too cool to have a hot rod like you roosting on one of these? Somebody slap me again for selling my 74 250 4 yrs ago. The money from it did not go far for the family-but the regret of selling lingers still. My wife even told me not to sell. Now I have to sneak another 250 past her in parts after shelling out a fortune on the Maico. Anyway, Tom I hope you do get a 250 KTM and fly on it. James

7" and 4" travel? Hmm-that makes 11" Hey! I can live with that.
7\\" and 4\\" travel? Hmm-that makes 11\\" Hey! I can live with that.