6 Days 125 front fork maintenance.

Started by bentrims, February 10, 2005, 12:52:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bentrims

What do you experienced Penton MX racers like to run for fork oil weight and quantity? 125/6Days
Thank you,
Tom Benolkin

Doug Wilford

Tom;
For 32mm forks 135cc of fork oil.  35mm forks 180cc.    For you I would start with a 5w. Make sure the caps are working.   If you are bottoming alot go to a 10W  Rider weight,outside temp, and bonzai ability are all determining factors and individual preference, of course.  There were times that we would put 1 1/2" spacers on top of the springs to give the springs more preload.  Old valve springs were ideal, or use tubing to make the spacer, you don't wamt to seal off the vent hole in the cap.  Having fun yet?

TGTech

Tom,

Doug's information is good, but I think that I'd also consider applying some of the more modern technological procedures to the forks. First off, fill both forks with the same amount of oil without the springs in them, compress the fork completely and then measure the distance from the top of the fork, to see that the levels are the same. If not, adjust the oil level to the same height.

Secondly, if you are having bottoming problems with the stock springs, I'd raise the oil level by maybe 10 mm in each fork, and see if that helps. If not, you may want to consider trying to find some heavier springs. By adding more preload to the existing springs, you affect the fork's ability to take care of small bumps. The bottom line to bottoming, is purely in the springs ability to resist a given force.
You can add more oil to each fork, but you will arrive at a point, where you will make the overall ride pretty harsh.

Way back when, we didn't know most of this stuff, so it is a learning process.

Dane Leimbach
Penton Imports Co., Inc.

bentrims

Thank you for the sound advice Doug and Dane. Very good references for this Penton rookie to start from.[^]

Last Sunday after the races my friend was disgusted with the handling of his strap tank YZ. He came up to [:p]The Green Hornet[:p] and measured the wheelbase. When he found out the wheelbase was 5 inches too short we spent a large portion of the trip home dreaming up ways to improve his bike.

I think he threw in the towel on re-inventing the wheel because I just got a call from him 15 minutes ago. We are now planning a road trip to pick up a 6 Days he found.[8D]
The YZ is Ebay bound.

Thanks again guys,
Tom Benolkin

firstturn

Tom,
  Thanks for choosing to ride Pentons.  Your intensity and excitement means a lot to someone like me(a has been, well I can still walk[:p]).  Just your God given ability is something to watch at a race.
  Thanks Big Guy.

Ron Carbaugh
Ron Carbaugh

TGTech

Ron,
 Still walking eh? Well, that's better than some of us some of the time.

Dane

firstturn

Dane...stock tip.  Buy heavy in wheel chair and walker stocks.  We are all approaching that delicate age;).  Heard you got another dusting of that white stuff.  Hope all is well up in Ohio.
RC

Ron Carbaugh
Ron Carbaugh

Tony Price

Mr. Benolkin's bonzai abilities are well established.  

Actually, there isn't much of the bonzai philosophy in evidence as he always seems in perfect control and out for a Sunday ride, while blowing the doors off of everyone else and getting big air for a short travel bike.

I'm hoping I can make Jefferson in April and Tom is able to be there too.  It should be a great show.

Tony, future customer of the Scooter Store and wondering if a Little Rascal can be punched out to 200cc............

Tony

James

Tom, I still need to dowmload photos...your shocks were at laest as soft as your forks. In fact, I am sure I saw your forks flexing too.
Would it be leagl to run the 35 mm Cerianis? If so, I think it would be a good swtich for Tom. James

Yamazuki-Kawahonda all sounds the same to me.. Real bikes were made in Europe
7\\" and 4\\" travel? Hmm-that makes 11\\" Hey! I can live with that.

bentrims

James,
Hmmm, That is a pretty good idea on the 35mm forks. I am pretty sure that I will find the tubes to be bent when they get disassembled today.
I would be surprised if it was NOT legal to run them. When you see the BIG BUCK CZ's and even a Hybrid AT1 Yammy go through tech that are well beyond machining technology we had in 1972.

The cool thing about MX is that money or politics got nothing over just plain hitting the corners harder. I remember thats why I quit football and baseball at 13 yrs old.

Thanks for the suggestion. Diamond Dons is only 1050 miles from Minnesota and that makes it close.[xx(] See you there.
Tom B

James

Tom I was looking at the classic 125s and some were quite nice-the CZs mostly. I think $10,000 is bit of exaggeration as i have half that in my 77 440 Maico-and thta is only since I insisted on saving a basket case. It is worth it now. Now I need an MC5 250 Katoom cheap enough I can hide it from the wife. See you both at Diamond Don's-it real close to Tucson too. James

firstturn

Calling ARHMA Legal Dept.
  Does anyone know if the 35mm forks are legal?  It seems if you are running against Elsinores that a 73 Frame(Penton) would be legal.  Help me out so that I can help Tom out since I have always been known to follow the rules[:p].

Ron Carbaugh
Ron Carbaugh

James

Ron, I just thought it has to be. since 35 mm cerianis were available in 72 it has to be a legal "period modification".
James

firstturn

James,
  Available in what way?  The first 35mm forks I saw on Pentons were in 1973.  The reason I am asking is that it sure seems like these other brands stretch the rules.  If ARHMA is OK with rule stretching I can work under those conditions no problem.

Ron Carbaugh
Ron Carbaugh

dkwkid

I thought the travel lenght is the legal factor in the different classes.If you really want a quality front end look for the 35mm Betor forks off a Puch or DKW.In the day they were very stout forks.Other than the seals being lousy they were(and are)a quality set of legs. I know this will get me into troble with you purists out there but hey, the first one across the line is da winna!
 I have restored a few bikes over the years and most of the pentons I redid required fork straightening.Not badly bent but bent just the same. I have never run across a set of bent Betor forks.Just my own observation.Again, I am not trying to cause trouble,just my personal view.