6 Days 125 front fork maintenance.

Started by bentrims, February 10, 2005, 12:52:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

firstturn

dkwkid,
  This is a open form.  I have run across many of bent forks including Betors and there is a long list.  Even when you get the longer travel 35mm they bend.  Actually the short travel 35mm Ceriani are difficult to bend it they are properly cared for..notice I didn't say impossible.  DKW I think you and your brother put in a lot of time desert racing in SoCal is this correct?

Ron Carbaugh
Ron Carbaugh

dkwkid

Yes Ron, We raced District 37 although my brothers were much more involved than I.It was alot of fun rowing the gearbox between 3rd and 5th across open desert.It seemed to me that whenever I just got on the pipe in 4th and I hit 5th gear I usually have drop into 4th again.Oh well, it only was a 100.
 For some reason Pentons were not quite as popular for desert.They were quite pricey in there time.However, they have been and are still one of the nicest looking bikes out there.Good quality stuff like Magura controls, Metzler tires and such.
 Iused to watch Bruce Mcdougal and Charlie Bowers clean up at Ascot park MX.Mettco Pentons were the bomb with their riveted tanks and black engines.

firstturn

dkwkid,
  How about the Brooks brother on the DKWs giving everyone fits on the big desert races.  Great days.

Ron Carbaugh
Ron Carbaugh

Tommy_V

Ron & Tom,

My understanding of the Sportman class is 7 inches up front and 4 at the rear.  Any fork that was available at the time for any bike, not just available as a Penton option.  Hope this helps.

Tommy
Tommy

firstturn

Tommy,
  Thanks and I hope all is well.  You need to ask on the POG some history of the man's garbage can you now own.  Great person and was the ad marketing guy along with his wife for Penton.

Ron Carbaugh
Ron Carbaugh

bentrims

James & DKWKID,
I think I will try some of the spring & oil testing suggestions for starters and use 35mm forks as a back up plan. It is important to me at this point to keep my bike as stock "Looking" as possible.

Not only was it fun for this 46 year old to run with the 21 year old Classic Champ in Arizona last week. It was fun to see them staring at the same Penton that just got off the track placing 2nd in Sportsman 125 class.

Thanks for the suggestions though..I sure would not rule them out for a future battle plan to go after Elsinores.
Tom B

dkwkid

Ron, a riding buddy of mine(who bought a brand new Jackpiner in 73)is fishing buddies with Tom Brooks.I asked to talk to him about his racing days but my friend says Tom is a little wierd about it-wont talk about the old days.What a shame,I,ll bet he has some stories to tell!His brother Cordis is in prison for murdering his wife in 82.They never had enough evidence until he moved out of his house.Strange stuff-I met him a few times and even showed him my 100cc Deek.
 A few years back I was at a National Hare&Hound and I finished the loop on my DKW.Mitch Payton from Pro Circuit was there at the finish-he said those Sachs/DKW motors always finished! Good compliment.
Glenn

firstturn

dkwkid,
  I will follow up at a later date with some of the finishes that Tommy had against even the big bikes.  Very Sorry to hear about Cordis.  I guess that the last time I saw him at a race was in the late 70's I think.  What a terrible situation.  Well I appreciate the information as we all have to move forward.

Ron Carbaugh
Ron Carbaugh

rick823n

35mm forks ARE legal for the 125 classic class in AHRMA. No reed valves or multicone pipes.
    How to phrase this delicately, I know Tom is fast, because he keeps telling us. And knocking people down is something to be proud of? Rick Nicholson

firstturn

Rick,
  I would like to put this as delicate as I can.  I have been knocked down and knocked people down.  I don't remember Tom saying "I am fast and knock people down and proud of it".  Have you ever been knocked down?  Have you ever knocked anyone down?
  Racing is racing and I have always loved it and it is not a delicate sport.  I think sometimes some people don't understand that at very fast speeds situations happen that are unfortuite.  I will say that at the opening ARHMA race that the water truck was put out before a race that made a very unsafe situation....but the race went on.  OK your turn, but don't start taking shots unless you want them coming back at you.

Ron Carbaugh
Ron Carbaugh

rick823n

Ron,your response is a reasonable one, I've nothing to respond to it except that every motor sports has a reckless driving/riding rule. Yes, stuff happens in racing, but if it becomes chronic or predictable then someones judgement may come into question. 'Nuff said from me. Rick Nicholson

James

Wow Tom,21 I did not know...is that the #1c on the AT1 Yamaha thing?
I raced vintage starting at age 24..i was not well received then. It is funny now at 37 to be nowhere near the younger around. Maybe when i'm 46 I'll be as fast as Tom. LOL James

Yamazuki-Kawahonda all sounds the same to me.. Real bikes were made in Europe
7\\" and 4\\" travel? Hmm-that makes 11\\" Hey! I can live with that.

KTOOM

Tom    I have a 125 that came with the 32's.  raced it at mid ohio a couple of times in the sportsman class.[reed valves]  Faired pretty well against a rash of elsinores.   Finally decided to try a set of 35's .   Should have done it long ago. I did not realize how the front end had been flexing.   Also , I prepped a couple of mint 400s for you to ride at Tyler pro am.  they were delivered by Ron Munson, as i had to work. I,m not sure if you didnt show or had other ride. Next pro am contact Firstturn  or me if you need a ride in Tex.  Long travel  81 ktm 495 w/fox air and 40 mm zokes.  Short travel  2 4oo pentons. These are the same bikes Bruce McDougle rode at tyler.

bentrims

Ktoom,
Thanks for that fantastic offer...I will contact if life allows the trip. I did not go last year because a friend died 2 weeks before the event in a road bike/deer accident. I was not hungry to ride for quite a while. Thanks again.
Tom B

bentrims

Rick Nicholson,
If you are talking about the first turn pile up moto 2 classic 125 in Phoenix you sure had a different seat than I did. I WAS SCARED!!!AND THOUGHT I WAS DEAD!!!

Someone on a black CZ lead by about 4-6 feet and was high right by about 4-6 feet. The guy loses it on the freshly watered track and lays out a full lock slide looking at my front Dunlop. In a heartbeat...NO less than a heartbeat I am riding right over his ribcage.

When the race was restarted everyone went to the line except me. I was so upset over hurting that kid that I went directly to the starter and REAMED him HUGE for that track being watered. Then I asked a few where I could find Dave Boydstun to air my complaint.

Then I rode down to the first turn and saw 2 guys pushing a CZ back. I told them "Please tell your rider how sorry I am I ran right over him and didn't even have a chance".

They very, very politely said " Thank you for taking time to tell us. We will tell him for you"

Then things really got weird after the race. My 2 guys in the pits told me that the guys I talked to in the first corner where not with the guy in my moto. They said the guy in my moto got up and finished the race. I could not believe it. I thought he was really hurt and I felt like crap.

If it was you Rick..I 100% apologize but man no way does anyone EVER try to knock a guy down in the first corner. I personally NEVER try to knock a person down EVER but it happens. I think it will continue to happen and there is a reason.

At AHRMA races we have: Guys that were: World Champions, Grand Prix winners, Factory riders, Guys that want to say they rode with all of the above, Guys that want to beat all of the above. Shoot its a melting pot of talent.
I personally think it is more dangerous for me than them. I get the crapped scared out of me at EVERY ahrma race trying to stop in time and not take someone out that takes corners in a different time zone. I mean SCARY crap that makes me ask why I am even at this race. Every race.

As the actor Yule Brennen would say on The Real McCoys every Sunday night....."No Brag Just Fact"

I looked back in my words and I sure dont see where I told anyone I thought I was so fast. I see the other guys talking me up more than I ever would. I do see where I was super happy to say I ran with all the Elsinores and got 2nd in Sportsman. That was fun!

So what do we old racers do that dont want to face triple jumps or 100 foot gaps on modern bikes?

THIS IS A LEGITIMATE QUESTION WE SHOULD BE ASKING AHRMA
Would it hurt them to have more of a Pro class? Perhaps a cash race with a good old set of 30 minute motos type format where you expect to be dogged by the big dogs?

Or should we just say well I'm 46 and married with a couple college students. I guess I dont get to do what I have loved since I was 8 years old.
Peace Out..See you In Florida. Have your stuff ready. Mine will be[:p]